Thinking about putting one in my MIM strat. Has anyone done it? Does it work well? Do you have to buy an expensive Roland unit on top of it, or can you plug into your computer and use VST instruments?
I've never heard about it before but it looks like it needs a pitch-to-midi converter and you can't plug it directly into your computer. Personally I'm kind of GASing for a Fishman Triple Play but my wallet doesn't agree

that guitar is like falling in love with a stripper
Silmeria
Valkyrie
modded Squier Strats
If you've got an audio interface to connect the guitar to your computer you can try Jam Origin Midi Guitar ( http://jamorigin.com/products/midi-guitar/ ), it's a VST that converts the guitar signal to MIDI, the demo is free, it works reasonably well considering that it's a purely software solution, still it's quite far from being perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GSwzvQHxfI

Silmeria
Valkyrie
modded Squier Strats
I've got a pod x3, so it should work, right? Thanks! I'll look into it.
Yeah, it's kind of meh.

Need to figure out how to turn off the regular guitar sound for starters...
I think it should mute the guitar sound, maybe the built-in synth is turned on. Try to adjust the sensitivity parameter, also it usually works better with the bridge pickup (if it's a single coil).
You'll need to adjust your playing style and be very clean, though to some extent that applies to hardware midi pickups too...I suppose, never tried one, I hope that someone who tried will share his experience here

Silmeria
Valkyrie
modded Squier Strats
It's usually there (the guitar sound), I'm sure there's a way to mute the straight guitar signal although I'm not sure how since the pod goes straight out the PC speakers. Otherwise latency is high even with a quad core CPU...
On mine the plugin does mute the guitar sound (if the amp/effect is set to "none" in the bottom-right of the "advanced" tab)
Also latency is fine here with a block size of 256 samples and the asio driver of my m-audio fast track c400.
So I can't help, I guess there must be some problems in the configuration of your DAW or driver

Silmeria
Valkyrie
modded Squier Strats
Are you using the 64 bits plugin? What settings do you use under "ASIO settings"? 512 for buffer size and which default bit depth?

Thanks for the help.
I'm using 256 for buffer size at 24 bit, the buffer size is the most important parameter for latency, try to set it as low as you can. Do you use your interface with amp modelling software too? How is latency with those softwares?

Silmeria
Valkyrie
modded Squier Strats
256 gives me a lot of crackling. I don't use any modeling software with it, the Pod already has that integrated. I emailed Jam Origins and they emailed back pretty quickly, but only to determine that "maybe you have something running at high priority on your system that interrupts the audio". Not sure how to find what that could be though.
Or it could be a driver problem, I'd check on the internet if somebody else has got similar issues with the pod x3.
I've recorded a short audio sample so you can hear how is latency here, who knows, maybe it's similar as yours but I've got lower standards
it was captured with the mic close to the strings of my guitar and the synths playing out of my speakers

https://soundcloud.com/billyshears0/rec

Silmeria
Valkyrie
modded Squier Strats
Oh no you definitely have much better latency than I do!

Maybe something is wrong yes because for example when I try to use the RSE engine in Guitar Pro I have absolutely horrible lag. I mean the parts played through the RSE engine are completely out of timing with the rest of the tracks. Weird. Either my driver is corrupted or I got it setup all wrong but I don't remember setting up anything at all...

I did post on the Line6 forums but no luck so far.
Quote by billyTheShears
Or it could be a driver problem, I'd check on the internet if somebody else has got similar issues with the pod x3.
I've recorded a short audio sample so you can hear how is latency here, who knows, maybe it's similar as yours but I've got lower standards
it was captured with the mic close to the strings of my guitar and the synths playing out of my speakers

https://soundcloud.com/billyshears0/rec

What are your computer specs out of curiosity? I have a quad core AMD Phenom II 955. I was thinking that it should be enough... The guys over at the Line 6 forum are saying it's not the Pod drivers.
I've got a core i5 2500, it should be faster but not enough to justify this big difference in latency. Are you 100% sure you are using the asio driver? You can try other drivers like wasapi if your DAW supports it (I use Reaper and it does), also you can try an amp sim to check if it lags, there are plenty of them available for free like Ignite Amps Emissary

Silmeria
Valkyrie
modded Squier Strats
Yeah, I'm pretty sure. I tried to use ASIO4all but somehow it doesn't seem like it's compatible with the Pod because when I select it no sound comes out. I use Reaper too. I'll try wasapi but I get the feeling that Line 6 doesn't play nice with anything else than their proprietary drivers. Actually I tried to use MIDI Guitar within Reaper following Jam Origin's instructions and didn't get any sound. I definitely must be doing something wrong! The path to MIDI bliss is going to be a long one for me.

That being said I noticed when I use MIDI Guitar that it only 'works one of my cores. When I look at the CPUs loads, only core #4 is used, at least in a noticeable way (does a saw tooth pattern going 5% to 95% very rapidly). Not sure what's up with that. But if the software is not able to take advantage of multi-core CPUs it's kind of disappointing. :-\ I emailed Jam Origins about it and I'm still waiting to hear from them.

In the meantime I'll try my son's laptop later today to see if it works better.
I managed to get it to work on my daughter's laptop. I actually got samples size of 256 and lower latency, which is nice (fun!), it worked much better, so I guess the pod is not the problem.

I ran into other issues however... using the 32-bits version, I was able to use the pod as an ASIO device only by restarting the laptop while keeping the laptop on. In any other situation when I try to select the ASIO POD as a device I get a "ASIO Driver open Failure!" error message. The 64-bits version either crashes when I try to select ASIO as device type, or best case scenario gives me the above error message later.

So... horrible latency on a quad core 3.2 GHz CPU with gobs or RAM... flaky behavior on dual core intel Windows 8 64-bits machines... I'd say this is promising but not yet worth $100...