Hey guys/gals. I'm trying to learn to be a great writer. I want to write poetry that could be put to (x)core or spoken word. Being as an Ocean, The Chariot, and Oh Sleeper are examples of bands that have the writing technique I want.

I did read through https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393365 and I plan to study it extensively.

But I want some practical ideas, working models, advice, wisdom, etc. to help me along the way of writing poetic lyrics.

Thanks c:
Just write. Read and write. A lot.

You'll never do anything if you worry about how it's meant to be done or special techniques or "models" whatever they are.

You have to actually do things to get results.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Just do it man. Lots. Go read that page. Maybe pick up some more books on poetry and lyric writing.

But first go buy yourself a spiral notebook and just write. Devote some of your free time to it. Say: "ok. I have the day off. Today I'm just going to write. All day".

I promise that it gets easier and easier and you get better and better.

If you need practical examples, try finding patterns in the music you like. I learned a lot about constructing melodies from breaking down songs by The Beatles. I think the same would apply to the lyrical style you're going for if you study music with that lyrical style.

Most things in music (especially on the composition side of things) can be broken down into different elements and techniques. You just have to find them and learn to manipulate them for yourself.
Last edited by mjones1992 at Sep 5, 2014,
Quote by Will Lane
Hey guys/gals. I'm trying to learn to be a great writer. I want to write poetry that could be put to (x)core or spoken word. Being as an Ocean, The Chariot, and Oh Sleeper are examples of bands that have the writing technique I want.

I did read through https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393365 and I plan to study it extensively.

But I want some practical ideas, working models, advice, wisdom, etc. to help me along the way of writing poetic lyrics.

Thanks c:

i can't give any specific advice on how to write like someone but...

yes, you need to write. but you need to know what your doing, which is why i personally recommend looking up literary devices and practicing them. also, READ. and yeah, that means you might have to read something you might've been assigned in an English class, to become familiar with complexity in writing. but some are good. really. just look up Albert Camus or Franz Kafka

one thing i did when i started out it to just write in a journal-esque fashion. don't care how angsty or illiterate it may be to begin with. just freewrite and don't worry about it.

i usually freewrote on a specific topic, then later i'd revise it. think metaphors, think symbolism. maybe a story, or a picture/image, something that represents what you're talking about and all the variables that came in your freewriting. that's what makes writing interesting, not necessarily saying it straight-up but leaving some interpretation (but in Bukowski's case i'd say he does in-your-face fairly well). though sometimes writing 'in-your-face' gives a desirable punch.

i ono dude. i can't give you any specific techniques really. i just kind of developed as i went; the more you do it and the more you read, the better you get at it. though obviously writing poetry, and writing lyrics for music are two completely different ball games.

to end this clusterfuck of a post, just write. practice. you'll get to the point where you can pretty much dish out everything you want to say w/o too many additional drafts.

tl;dr im drunk sorry
Last edited by Dregen at Sep 5, 2014,
The best way to learn to write a specific style is to immerse yourself in that style. Any form of artist develops his/her style by studying those who he wants to emulate, and musicians are no exception. Go listen to those songs by those bands that you wanna emulate, really think about the meaning, take note of the rhyme scheme, the tempo, and the tone of the singers voice. Maybe look up the lyrics. Read about the bands history, a lot of times their lives reflect the music that they make. Listen to whole albums so you can get a feel for how they are mixing the songs and mayby why they put certain songs in certain places.
What you must have to be a writer is creativity. A lyricist has a good career by his creativity. If you have it, then you will be alive between us.
You cannot be a great writer within one day, practice it, think creatively. Imagine before your start writing. Note down the lines when you think about writing. Read write!Read write!Read write! you can become a great writer..