Right. I am aware that there is hundreds of things about neck dive, but most are either focusing on SGs and basses, or are really vague. I have a BC Rich Masterpiece Mockingbird, and it neck dives like a bitch. I can't fit a bigger strap button because it points the wrong way. Any suggestions? Also I don't really wanna spend too much money on this, so please try and keep any solutions reasonably priced.
A bigger strap button won't fix anything anyway. What you want is to re-position the strap button so the guitar balances better standing up.

You could try a less slippery strap material too.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Where is the strap button now? Moving it to the heel of the neck seems to work for me with explorer shapes. The Mockingbird shape isn't far off that.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by ryanbwags
Where is the strap button now? Moving it to the heel of the neck seems to work for me with explorer shapes. The Mockingbird shape isn't far off that.

IIRC they're like an LP for the button position.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
IIRC they're like an LP for the button position.

Ah, looked at some pics and it looks like they put it on the "upper horn" on the backside of the body.
Move the button.
You can always go get a "command adhesive" hook and use it to try a couple other locations on a very temporary basis and see if that helps. The tape they come with is designed to not harm finishes, but should be strong enough to hold the guitar. Try and find a spot where it doesn't cause the dive.

http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/NACommand/Command/?WT.mc_id=www.command.com&WT.ctod=15:33
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
The right solution is to rebalance the guitar (though the smart solution would have been to buy a non-neck-heavy guitar in the first place), and that involves drilling a hole in the bottom of the guitar and adding weight. I had a guitar tech who used to do a ton of SGs, mostly drilling into the edge, adding tungsten and epoxy for weight, then fashioning a mahogany plug to cover the hole, sanding and refinishing that one area. Unnoticeable unless you were looking for it. Others, he pulled the bottom strap button, drilled the hole there, filled with tungsten and epoxy and the aforementioned mahogany plug and the screw for the bottom strap button.

You can simulate this on the cheap by sewing some weights onto the strap (or hanging them off the strap button) at the bottom of the guitar. In either case, playability is enormously enhanced when you don't have to support the neck of the guitar with your fretting hand while trying to play.

Ignore any suggestions to buy a thicker strap or one that grips better -- this ends up pulling the back of your shirt up and doesn't actually solve the problem. It just masks it for a bit.
Add 1/2 lb of large galvanized washers to the tail end of your strap. Done. Cheap and easy fix. No need to move the strap button or drill holes.

This guy has a pretty good solution for 7 string bass which has massive neck dive.
http://www.whoisjaylamm.com/2013/05/21/make-your-own-guitar-counterweight-for-neck-heavy-instruments-a-special-how-to/
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Sep 6, 2014,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You could try a less slippery strap material too.

This is the solution that always works for me - leather strap with a rough, gripping underside - the guitar won't move if the strap can't slip.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
This is the solution that always works for me - leather strap with a rough, gripping underside - the guitar won't move if the strap can't slip.

Any particular straps you can recommend? The only ones I can seem to find are either stupidly expensive or not long enough. Also I live in the UK, so preferably keep the sellers UK Based.
Get one of these in an XL length
www.levysleathers.com/product;cat,836;item,488;Suede-Leather-MS1

I'm lucky my dad is a Leather smith and my sister does custom bike leathers, so I just buy a nice leather strap and make my own longer piece.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by FPS Scotland
Any particular straps you can recommend? The only ones I can seem to find are either stupidly expensive or not long enough. Also I live in the UK, so preferably keep the sellers UK Based.

I like those dangleberry grained leather ones (~£20). Really soft and nice. though they seem to be out of stock of the black ones. Also not sure about the length, I'm slightly taller than average (5ft 11ish) so length normally isn't a massive problem for me (don't quote that out of context anyone ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've recently done a tutorial where i discuss varius neckdive solutions and the one i did. Hope it helps, catch:

<removed>
Last edited by Medawk at Apr 11, 2015,