As the title says, I'd like to know what are your views about being polistrumentist (if this word exist).

Are yourself a polistrumentist?
What do you think are the pros and cons, and do you think it's worth the effort?
Do you feel it improved your songwriting/composing?
Also, what instrument do you consider to be the best complementary instrument for a guitar player?

I'm looking forward to know your views on this topic!
Being able to play more than one instrument is definitely is nothing but good. No cons at all. You kind of get to see how music works with those different instruments. You're no longer just a guitar player, you are a musician. You have much more creative options when writing. Plus, learning one instrument, such as a trumpet, opens the doors for another, such as a trombone. For a complementary instrument, probably drums would be the most beneficial.
I agree, nothing but beneficial. Learning proper bass allowed me to come up with new stuff on guitar as well as learning a new instrument. Learning saxophone helped my phrasing as well as learning a new instrument. Music is universal, the instrument is merely a tool.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
After learning piano, knowing how to play guitar is pretty much useless knowledge to me now. The only use for it would be if I wrote something for guitar. I would know what is possible on the instrument and what isn't. Piano is just better in every way for my needs. Playing harmony is easier, the note layout is more logical, applying theory and analyzing songs with the help of piano keyboard is very easy, accompany yourself, etc.
Last edited by Elintasokas at Sep 5, 2014,
Yeah I can play a few instruments. Not all of them particularly well, but I have a few instruments that I could play. Piano and guitar are my two best, piano being my best.

It's definitely useful knowing multiple instruments. Piano is particularly interesting as an instrument I think.

I've always wanted to learn a brass instrument though.
superman is killing himself tonight
Writing for an instrument is much easier if you understand its role from a player's perspective.
I agree; it's all good. I would recommend piano as a 2nd instrument because it's so universal and it's great for composing & arranging.
if your ability to orchestrate and understand the basics of instruments can't get you by at least faking any conventional instrument, you aren't ready
If you can play a percussion, keyboard, brass and bass instrument, you have a very complete and diverse way of looking at music! It aids expression and songwriting.

I think drums are the best instrument to learn after guitar. You'll learn so much about rhythm, phrasing, timing and groove. When you've only got like 5 "notes" to choose from and you've got to play a 3 minute song, you start viewing musical time in a new way - it tunes you into the subtler nuances of music. And personally I love rhythmically inspired guitar playing the most!
I agree that is nothing but awesome.
And if you write songs it would help you out to understand the roles of each instrument, the range, you have more options not just strumming a guitar for example.

PS: Playing guitar and bass doesn't count haha.
Quote by Declan87
If you can play a percussion, keyboard, brass and bass instrument, you have a very complete and diverse way of looking at music! It aids expression and songwriting.

I think drums are the best instrument to learn after guitar. You'll learn so much about rhythm, phrasing, timing and groove. When you've only got like 5 "notes" to choose from and you've got to play a 3 minute song, you start viewing musical time in a new way - it tunes you into the subtler nuances of music. And personally I love rhythmically inspired guitar playing the most!

what about woodwinds fucker
Quote by Hail
what about woodwinds fucker

nope, literally everything but woodwinds are useful

you probably play clarinet like a nerd or something
superman is killing himself tonight
Quote by Baby Joel
nope, literally everything but woodwinds are useful

you probably play clarinet like a nerd or something

Well, that was harsh. Oh, never mind. That was pretty good.

OT:
More experiences with music can only be a good thing.
Some people like sticking with one instrument and mastering it, others like being multi-instrumentalists. Learning other instruments will not really improve your guitar playing. But they can improve you as a musician. But yeah, learn to play another instrument if you want.

I play multiple instruments because I like it. Try playing other instruments. If you don't like it, stick with guitar only. But if you do, I don't see a point why you shouldn't start playing other instruments.

Bass guitar is pretty easy to start playing if you can already play the guitar. But you may want to try something more different. Piano can help at understanding music theory (I would say it's the most "logical" instrument). Learning to play the drums improves your sense of rhythm. But I don't know - I wouldn't think about how beneficial it is. Just play the instruments that you enjoy the most.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I dunno. I find it helps me... but at the same time I wanted to learn the instruments in question, I wasn't doing it to "help my guitar playing", I was doing it because at the time I wanted to learn that instrument.

If you knew you only wanted to play one instrument, I'm not sure the added benefit would be worthwhile considering the opportunity costs there versus just putting that extra time into the instrument you really want to play.

Quote by Will Lane
You're no longer just a guitar player, you are a musician.

guitar players are musicians too

EDIT: ^ Agreed with MaggaraMarine. Should've read down the thread
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 6, 2014,
I also don't see any downside in being a multi-instrumentalist. I play guitar, bass and some keyboards, and I have desire to begin other instruments like flute, Asian string instruments etc. It's simply so much fun to learn and expand the variety of sounds and styles that I can incorporate to my own music. I see it as a life time project.
Quote by Michele_R
As the title says, I'd like to know what are your views about being polistrumentist (if this word exist).

Are yourself a polistrumentist?
What do you think are the pros and cons, and do you think it's worth the effort?
Do you feel it improved your songwriting/composing?
Also, what instrument do you consider to be the best complementary instrument for a guitar player?

I'm looking forward to know your views on this topic!

Do you mean at the same time as "poly" would imply, or do you just mean the existing term "multi-instrumentalist" ??

Assuming you mean multi..

pros …. you can play more instruments

cons… you have less time to practice each instrument

my advice:

Don't do it, just for the sake of it.

It sounds cool to say "I play a bunch of instruments", but if you play them all half ass, it's not really all that cool.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 6, 2014,
Thanks for all your answers!

Do you mean at the same time as "poly" would imply, or do you just mean the existing term "multi-instrumentalist" ??

Assuming you mean multi..

Yeah, I meant multi-instrumentalist!

Quote by MaggaraMarine
Some people like sticking with one instrument and mastering it, others like being multi-instrumentalists. Learning other instruments will not really improve your guitar playing. But they can improve you as a musician. But yeah, learn to play another instrument if you want.

The cons I was considering in fact were basically that you take time away from the mastering of a single instrument.

But generally, I agree with you.

As for me, I wanted to start taking some piano lessons, basically because:
1-I altready have a piano in the house and it's a waste not learning to play some
2- I'm sure it would help me a lot to understand theory and to compose seriously if I'll ever get started
3- my little brother never practices it despite the fact that he took many lessons, so it may be "ispirational" for him too, in what he would see it a bit like a competition (in a positive way)..also, 4 hands music
4- creativity and a new point of view on music
5- no need to say it... obviously I find some piano music really fascinating!
^ If you want to learn it, do it. I don't want to put you off by what I said above, and from what you said there it sounds like you're going into it for the right reasons.

Quote by GuitarMunky

pros …. you can play more instruments

cons… you have less time to practice each instrument

my advice:

Don't do it, just for the sake of it.

It sounds cool to say "I play a bunch of instruments", but if you play them all half ass, it's not really all that cool.

yeah that's about the height of it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by GuitarMunky

playing any instrument for the sake of being cool is pretty stupid cause there are way better ways to get laid. it's not 1980 anymore
Quote by Hail
playing any instrument for the sake of being cool is pretty stupid cause there are way better ways to get laid. it's not 1980 anymore

Yeah, playing instruments isn't that cool anymore and if you want to impress someone, you have to play something as simplistic as possible. But who cares? I'm not learning music to be "cool". I'm not cool and I'm cool with it.
I'm not sure I'm cool with not being cool. That being said, when I see what being cool is, I'm more cool with it. But not totally cool.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'm not sure I'm cool with not being cool. That being said, when I see what being cool is, I'm more cool with it. But not totally cool.

Cool is being some swagfag, I guess?

Being YOURSELF is the best thing, not what others perceive as COOL. Who gives a shit?
i dunno what swagfag is, but i was taking the piss (sort of).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Its' alright but some people get a bit arrogant because of it. Someone wrote in an earlier reply that you shouldn't do it just for the sake of it.

Harmonica (mouth organ) is a great instrument to combine with a guitar. Great blues and country stuff you can play with those two.
Quote by old shatterhand

Harmonica (mouth organ) is a great instrument to combine with a guitar. Great blues and country stuff you can play with those two.

also makes you really popular with girls

note: don't tell them or let them know you play harmonica at all - they'll know when the time is right
Quote by Hail
also makes you really popular with girls

note: don't tell them or let them know you play harmonica at all - they'll know when the time is right

After playing them for a while they start making the right noises I mean the harmonica ofc