Hey guys,

I'm sorry if this sounds like a really stupid question, but please bare with me..

I bought a T-Rex Tremonti Phaser pedal a few months back as I really wanted a phaser that had depth and rate controls rather than the single knob of the Phase 90 for example. Anyway, I've found it really hard to like! I love the effect, and I can get the perfect balance of depth and rate that I want, but the EQ is awful!

This sounds like I don't know what a phaser does, I know, but I'll try and explain... I love how it manipulates the waves, the rise and fall as great for what I do - I use it mostly for intros and atmospheric/kinda creepy stuff - but when I turn it off my guitar sounds like an entirely different instrument.

Will adding an EQ pedal after it help to put this right? Or do I have to find another phaser?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Is this pedal true bypass?

I don't see why the EQ would be drastically different when turned off. Do you have long cable runs? Or any buffer on the board messing with your signal?
Are you using it in your effects loop or before the input, because I'd definitely put it after distortion, distorting a phased signal is going to sound bad. If you don't have an effects loop, I'd try using a distortion pedal before it.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Quote by Tulkas

Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Sorry, should've explained the set-up!

I have it running into my effects loop, and my board is set up with a true bypass looper so each pedal has its own loop, eliminating the majority of cable runs. Obviously there are still some long ones between the board and my amp but I've used the lowest capacitance cable I could find.

As for buffers, the closest is my Line 6 G30 relay, which I'm told is buffered. Between that and the phaser is a volume pedal, wah, and a chorus pedal. (I have chorus and phaser in the same loop and pick which one I want to use on a song-by-song basis to utilise my loops better). The only other thing that gets put between the guitar and the phaser is maximum of one distortion pedal.

It sounds good with the phaser on, but it's just two drastic a change in tone for my liking, I don't know if that's a trait of the pedal or if I've got a dodgy one..
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Quote by entropicxdisson
Are you using it in your effects loop or before the input, because I'd definitely put it after distortion, distorting a phased signal is going to sound bad. If you don't have an effects loop, I'd try using a distortion pedal before it.

Tell that to Eddie Van Halen.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115