alright so i've been looking for a new guitar that's around like less than $500, and i've almost been set on getting a "real guitar" (like a fender rather than my squier for example) but i've not really liked any of the guitars in my price range as i'm a tele kind of guy but i can't seem to find any in my budget that have a rosewood fingerboard (i hate maple) and just now i found a Squier tele with a rosewood fretboard (AND a painted headstock which i love) for like $375, but it's Squier so i am unsure.

for some reason i feel like people (including myself) feel like Squiers aren't really "real" guitars, and are just for beginners, which i dislike.

btw, it's a Squier Black and Chrome Standard Telecaster, and the one I have at the moment is a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar HH.

should i get over my "fear' of getting another Squier, or just get a guitar I think looks cool? another guitar i was considering was a Fender Standard Stratocaster in Arctic White.

and do any other people feel this way about Squiers? i feel really dumb for thinking that way about them.
Buy used and you can get your hands on a Fender for around $300.

Squier VMs are pretty solid IMO. Anyone that gives you crap for the name on your headstock is probably just trying to make themselves feel better about dropping big money on an axe. You can't play good-looking, all you can play are the frets, strings, and pups.
I rap for mill-i-ons, sesquipedalians.
I asked about squiers and other lower-end fenders the other day. Link is here.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1655411

From what I understand, they really aren't that bad. In fact, some of the non-squier but lower end teles (like the classic vibe series or MIM) are really good purchases for their price, and around the same price of a squier. Even cheaper if you buy used. Post #5 by Linkerman explains it the best I think.

Just always test and compare.
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 5, 2014,
I think the Squier Classic Vibe series is stellar for the money. I'd rather go that way than a stock recent MIM Fender even, I think. Just something about the MIM Standard Series Fenders is off the last years, in my opinion.

Also, in the older Squier market, you can really find a gem for almost no money. There's a ton of crap out there as well, though.

In general, I like shiny, expensive guitars, but if it sounds good and plays and looks decent, I happily rock it both home and on stage. I don't care that my Squier was dirt cheap and says Squier on the headstock, it sounds good and that's what's important.

There's a band in my country in which the guitarist almost only uses Epiphone SG and LP Specials with different pickups in them live and he sounds great.
Quote by 666jason666
should i get over my "fear' of getting another Squier, or just get a guitar I think looks cool?

You should get a guitar that you feels comfortable to play, with a neck that you like, a guitar that you can tell "it's the right guitar for me".
It's difficult to enjoy a guitar with a neck that doesn't feel good or with a body that doesn't feel comfortable.

Looks and sound/hardware should come second, because they can be modified and upgraded to your taste.

The brand should be the last thing on your mind.
If you find a guitar that you enjoy playing, the name on the headstock is absolutely irrelevant. If you don't agree, you're probably more worried about what other people think than about getting pleasure out of playing the guitar.
And it's you who will have to live with the guitar, not other people.

So, look for a guitar that "feels right" to you, and ignore brand snobbism.

EDIT:
Quote by Will Lane
Post #5 by Linkerman explains it the best I think.

Quote by Will Lane
I am definitely considering getting a classic vibe.

Have you found one you liked yet?
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Sep 6, 2014,
There is definitely a strong preconception about the Squier-brand, but there's also many people who like the new Squiers, like the Classic Vibe and the Vintage Modified. Personally, I find them to be very good and I have seen people on stage with guitars from these series locally. I don't go - "oh, he/she plays a cheap guitar", but rather "cool, another one who has discovered how good these guitars are".

Maybe the opinion against the brand will change, it certainly is not true anymore if it ever was (unless it concerns the Bullet-Strat...) - or it will stay the same and a lot of people will be missing out on really good guitars.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
If you have a budget of $500, leave the Squiers alone, not that they are all bad, but you can get much better for your money like a G&L
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product-comparison
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Marketing is the main difference between a Squier and a Fender, not capability.

If you're assuming that a Squier isn't a "real" guitar, you've swallowed the hook (line and sinker are following).
Quote by Robbgnarly
If you have a budget of $500, leave the Squiers alone, not that they are all bad, but you can get much better for your money like a G&L
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product-comparison

This! I've had and have some great squiers and some terrible ones, but you'll get more bang for your buck with a G&L.

My opinion.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Quote by Will Lane
Speaking of that, what classifies a fender as a squier, as compared to MIM or MIA?

The name on the head stock and until recently Squier was the only "Fender" brand that was made in Asia. There is Fender of Japan, but that is a whole separate topic.

The Squiers also have generally cheaper hardware and electronics than Fender. Fenders will also have better body and neck woods in most instances.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Will Lane
Speaking of that, what classifies a fender as a squier, as compared to MIM or MIA?

Squier is one brand.
Fender is another brand.

Fender Musical Instruments Corporation owns V.C. Squier Company.

Fender uses the Squier brand to sell budget versions of Fender guitars.
Squier has a few different series in production, like the Affinity, Standard, Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe series.

MIM/MIA refers to the production location of Fender guitars.
MIM is a Fender guitar Made In Mexico.
MIA is a Fender guitar Made In America.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by QOTSA-SFTD
Buy used and you can get your hands on a Fender for around $300.

Squier VMs are pretty solid IMO. Anyone that gives you crap for the name on your headstock is probably just trying to make themselves feel better about dropping big money on an axe. You can't play good-looking, all you can play are the frets, strings, and pups.

Yup, if you're dead set on getting a Fender, you can find a good one easily for $500. You may have to check craigslist though.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
I agree with Linkerman 100%.

Get the guitar that plays and sounds good to you, the brand doesn't matter. If someone else has an issue with what brand your guitar is, HE doesn't have to play it every day.

I have a Squier Strat made in Korea around 20 years old I'll never ever let go of. It's the one in my avatar, I've had it around 15 years, it's my favorite guitar.

Play before you buy, make sure it sounds and plays good, has good sustain, don't worry about the rest. Pickups and hardware can be upgraded or replaced, I've replaced all the volume and tone pots in my strat years ago. Pickups are still factory, everything else but the string hold downs, I got some of the roller type soon after I got it. I've played it so much I'm starting to wear the finish off the maple fretboard...and I'll keep playing it till I wear it out, probably replace the neck and play it some more...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Another update for squier teles, I did just test a thinline classic vibe. Felt smooth and righteous, sounded great, even with the trash store strings.
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 6, 2014,
Squiers can be nice guitars. The Classic Vibe Squiers of 2014 are significantly better than MIM Fenders were when they were introduced in the 1990s.

this used G&L ASAT Classic Tribute was $275.

as much as i like MIJ stuff, MIM stuff, MIA stuff, bang for the buck this is the best tele i could buy for that amount of money.

ymmv and all that.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
this used G&L ASAT Classic Tribute was $275.

as much as i like MIJ stuff, MIM stuff, MIA stuff, bang for the buck this is the best tele i could buy for that amount of money.

ymmv and all that.

Are you able to do a sound comparison of the G&L and a fender tele (squier or not)?