i am talking about your traditional 4 piece rock band (guitar, bass, drums and vocals.) i know there are songs that contain both bass and drum solos. but in most songs what is the logic behind having only guitar solos but usually skipping the bass and drum solos? how did this traditional format of songs came to be invented? will the average listener get 'thrown off' when presented with a bass or drum solo in a song as they are not considered melody instruments as compared to the guitar?
Last edited by daniel.gibran.5 at Sep 6, 2014,
Don't write or care for "average listener". If you want to do a drum/bass solo - do it.
There are no rules against it, but generally speaking the drums & bass provide the backbone of the song with the guitars providing the melody & other embellishments. Solos fall into the melody & embellishments category.

Also worth noting that a lot of bands have two guitarists. One keeps the rhythm going while the other plays the solo. You don't tend to have a spare drummer or bassist to fill in while a solo is happening.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Drum solos can be awesome, but they also have a very high risk of being boring as hell. Most of the drum solos I have heard so far bored the sh*t out of me and were either just some basic skill thing, or just fast crap without groove and soul.
But I have heard TONS of epic bass solo throughout the years!
Error 404 - Signature not available.
I have heard many drum fills and tracks that are interesting, never a solo - and I'm a drummer myself.
I think Gary nailed it. The bass and drums are the backbone to song and provide the structure that makes a guitar or keyboard solo work. When a guitar or keyboard solo happens they are most often part of the whole song. The songs feel and sense of melody continue while a solo is taking place. In the case of a drum solo, you literally lose the flow and feel of the song itself. It becomes a showcase to show off some technique but it rarely supports or adds to the song itself. I'm sure I can come up with examples where that is not true but generally I think it is.

Regardless of all of the above it just might be that very few people besides other drummers and bass players actually want to hear a bass or drum solo. Drum solos at a concert are usually a chance to hit the bathroom or get another drink.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Sep 9, 2014,
Santana's Soul Sacrifice from Woodstock. Drum solo was insane, but there aren't many others that I can think of that grabbed my attention.
Last edited by MaynardZed at Feb 18, 2017,
Only Cliff Burton could pull it off solo wise.

Jason was too boring.

If the drummer does not come from or has the jazz feel it is not going to sound very interesting.

The Ventures drummer was very good at keeping it interesting and of course Gene Krupa