Hi guys,

I'd looking for advice from anyone who's worked with other musicians or producers that they've reached out to online.
I’m looking to either collaborate with an online musician on their track or have someone work on a piece I’m working on.

I have a few questions:
  • How do people usually go about collaborating with other musicians online?
  • What's the biggest challenges or frustrations you have when you collaborating tracks?
  • Are your experiences collaborating with musicians online positive or negative? Can you tell me a story about it?
  • Would you be open to anyone who wanted to re-do one of your free tracks (say add a guitar to the track) and put it on Soundcloud or Youtube? Or what would you have to consider before giving consent?
Quote by marckackerman
How do people usually go about collaborating with other musicians online?

By communicating clearly and making sure you're on the same page as your collaborators. It could be useful to send them a full stereo mix of a demo as well as stems for each instrument so they're able to isolate parts, take parts out, use them as guide tracks, rework and rerecord them. You can also send full session files from your daw with dropbox or something similar if you're both using the same daw. Even if you're not using the same daw you can send all of the audio files from the session.
I've never done it, but maybe you could do a skype session or something similar to work out ideas.

Quote by marckackerman
What's the biggest challenges or frustrations you have when you collaborating tracks?

Effective communication, logistical issues, and managing priorities. It depends on the project, but if it's more of a passionate project or hobby type deal with no money involved, it may end up sitting around for a long time and losing steam. People are busy and will get to it when they get to it.
Maybe you have an idea for a guitar part for the guitar player you're working with, then you tell him, then it takes him a few weeks to get back to you with a recording which puts you on pause right off the bat. Then you listen to it, decide it doesn't work after all, and then what? Do you tell him honestly that it was a waste of time and you're gonna scrap it? Do you keep the tracks beacuse he was nice enough to record them for you even though you don't like them? How much of a stickler for quality can you be with no monetary incentive?

Quote by marckackerman
Are your experiences collaborating with musicians online positive or negative? Can you tell me a story about it?

I've never collaborated online with somebody I didn't know before, but I have worked and still do work with people living in different parts of the world on music projects. It's been extremely positive all around.

Quote by marckackerman
Would you be open to anyone who wanted to re-do one of your free tracks (say add a guitar to the track) and put it on Soundcloud or Youtube? Or what would you have to consider before giving consent?

If they were a great player with something to add, sure.