In a nutshell, I have an HSH guitar that I bought before I realized I really like the sound of a single-coil in the neck. I'd like to find a humbucker that can make it sound less like a humbucker and more like a single-coil. No more than $80 preferably, as when I eventually buy this pickup, I want to buy a new bridge pickup too, so I want to keep costs manageable.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 71-73
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 1-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-5
Your best bet- if you can't exchange/sell the axe you've got- is probably something like a HB-sized P90, Supro or some other kind of oversized singlecoil.

Perhaps something like a RailHammer Tel90?
http://www.railhammer.com/pickups.html

Or something from Vintage Vibe?
http://vintagevibeguitars.com/windows/hum90_alnicoWin.html
http://vintagevibeguitars.com/windows/hum_bladeWin.html
http://vintagevibeguitars.com/windows/hum90puWin.html

Roadhouse Vista-Tone
http://www.roadhousepickups.com/pickups/supro-vista-tone
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 6, 2014,
Humbuckers can't really sound like singlecoils unless you do just that, convert them to singlecoils. There are humbuckers that are bright like single coils, but brightness does not automatically mean having a single coil sound.

Mini humbuckers sound pretty close.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
You (Or a good tech) could wire in a coil spilt to give you the best of both worlds. I am not sure how the wiring would work with a HSH guitar but I am sure it could be done although it might blow your budget a little.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
Don't most HSH guitars already have coil splitting? (I was operating under that assumption, or I would have suggested it. )
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

What guitar is it?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
^ ditto

Or alternatively get something like a duncan stag mag- it uses alnico polepieces rather than a bar magnet like regular humbuckers, and the theory is it should sound more like a real single coil when split. I haven't tried it either.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Your best bet- if you can't exchange/sell the axe you've got- is probably something like a HB-sized P90, Supro or some other kind of oversized singlecoil.

I'm assuming when he says "single coil", he means a strat-style single. I could be wrong, of course, but if I'm not, I don't think a neck P90 sounds anything like a strat single coil- or at least no closer than a regular humbucker, or at least not much... you have extra noise and maybe a little extra sparkle on the treble as a result, I suppose To me not enough of an improvement to justify the cost and bother...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

I'm assuming when he says "single coil", he means a strat-style single. I could be wrong, of course, but if I'm not, I don't think a neck P90 sounds anything like a strat single coil- or at least no closer than a regular humbucker, or at least not much... you have extra noise and maybe a little extra sparkle on the treble as a result, I suppose To me not enough of an improvement to justify the cost and bother...

I agree in general, but it depends on how they're voiced.

The Tel90 sounds more like a beefed up Tele pickup than a traditional P90.

The VV pickups I posted were from (essentially) a custom winder who pretty much works wonders- I love the Charlie Christian and Tele pickups he did for my American flag Teleclone. I found him based on some recommendations while looking for a P90 that was "clear and sweet" to use in converting a Dean EVO into a jazzy solidbody. The demos I found of his P90s were stellar.

...hmm...still haven't modded that EVO.

yeah i dare say a good winder could wind you something which is a lot closer to a fender-sounding single coil (I've seen some P90s recently with alnico magnet slugs rather than the bar magnet... similar idea to the duncan stag mag).

whether it'd sound closer than a stag mag (or similar), though, i dunno.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I also am starting to like the single coils more than humbuckers in the neck. Mine split (evos) but still is nowhere near the single sound. I find myself playing a lot of stuff now with the single middle pup only, it has a lot more bite for some fast stuff, and rolls back better
It might not be easy to find, but Peavey made a Super Ferrite for a while that was a single coil, in humbucker size. They came in my Patriot from the factory and sound great. I found one at a guitar shop years ago and used it to replace the neck pickup in a off brand telecaster copy, the original just sucked out loud. Bridge pickup was great, the Peavey Super Ferrite made the guitar come alive...

I think they made both single coil and humbucker, so if you can find one you'll have to check it with a multimeter, resistence is different but I can't remember the values of each.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Gibson P-94 is a P90 single coil for a humbucker mounting they are nice not quite a strat sound. Humbucker from Hell is a good choice or some sort of Gretsch style humbucker like a TV Jones or a Filtron or Fideletron. If the pickup has 4 conducter wiring you can try wiring the coils in parallel still a humbucker but more single coil sound more cut.