Page 1 of 2
I'm no rap expert, I only have Kanye West's avatar due to comic relief, but I have gotten more interested in hip hop and rap lately and I've noticed one thing: all rappers rap about themselves and how awesome they are.

Why do they do this?

Is there nothing else to rap about?

Even the rappers that aren't swimming in money and hos rap about how they're swimming in money and hos.

Can Pit's rap experts explain this plz?

If they truly think they're that amazing, when they're probably quite average people, should we as guitarist pat ourselves in the back more and stop being so humble?
you've listened to a very small amount of rap if this is your impression of it
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel

This.

Rapping is a competitive field, which is where the braggadocio comes from. Plus it can be entertaining/good performing art.

lol @ the idea of guitarists being humbling.
Quote by slipknot5678
This.

Rapping is a competitive field, which is where the braggadocio comes from. Plus it can be entertaining/good performing art.

lol @ the idea of guitarists being humbling.

mate why are you still awake

why am I still awake

help
it's all coming back

I don't listen to a lot of rap but I definitely prefer it when rappers rap about more down-to-Earth stuff as opposed to how much money they make and how great they are. I just don't wanna listen to that.

What is particularly offensive is in Problem by Ariana Grande when Iggy Azeala appears and immediately starts rapping her own name in the song and I am like get out girl you're so annoying it's not even your song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjVC_jrHcHI

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by Baby Joel
Yeah, this. Like that one song about the booty and how it is rocking. Specifically, everywhere.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Baby Joel
mate why are you still awake

why am I still awake

help

I just tried to sleep for four hours so I was like '**** it' and now I'm on the internet.

help
Quote by Philip_pepper
Nobody loves anything or anyone as much as Kanye loves Kanye.

I u more than kanye s kanye
Because rap is rooted in the ghetto street thug culture where your status is determined by money and fame. It has obviously moved away from that and there are all sorts of rappers out there, but your garbage MTV rap still follows that pattern because those lyrics sell more, make you want to "consume" and spend more. In short, rappers make the economy go around.
Quote by Philip_pepper
should we as guitarist pat ourselves in the back more and stop being so humble?
Even though this probably was a joke, it deeply offended me.

As for the rappers, I agree with the competitivity thing.
Apart from saying they're awesome, some of them also diss others.
And some of them also say good things about others but that's rare.

Listen to the jokerr (with two r) for examples of everything.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Philip_pepper

Can Pit's rap experts explain this plz?

It isn't true.

There you go m8

#explained
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Quote by SMH07
It isn't true.

There you go m8

#explained
Yo bro dos r som sick #explaining skillz u got son lock it up modz TS just got a can of #explanation up his azz.
Quote by snipelfritz

Which came first the ego or the rap?
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
Which came first the ego or the rap?

Wow...

This is a deeper question than it appears.
Why do metal bands always talk about death? They're not dead...
Quote by DirtyMakik
Listen to this man, he's got Alex in his avatar, he knows his sh!t.

Quote by dubstar92
awesome avatar dude

Wow a signature
Quote by mfkr
Why do metal bands always talk about death? They're not dead...

*sweats profusely*

Man, I'm being hit with some straight up mental bullets.
How about a serious reply?

Rap and hiphop originally comes from a social milieu where there is much competition on the levels of size of bank account, size of status, amount of women, size of posse, size of pistol, etc. (Let me skip the Freudian parallels, there). You could say this bragging is a vital part of rap and hiphop, as talking tough is often half the battle.

Not to say that there aren't some halfway decent rapsongs with completely different subjects.
Quote by Philip Xander

Rap and hiphop originally comes from a social milieu where there is much competition on the levels of size of bank account, size of status, amount of women, size of posse, size of pistol, etc. (Let me skip the Freudian parallels, there). You could say this bragging is a vital part of rap and hiphop, as talking tough is often half the battle.

Not to say that there aren't some halfway decent rapsongs with completely different subjects.

I find it quite interesting, to be honest.

Turn on the radio and you hear all this lovey-dovey shite, like Bruno Mars wanting to marry you. But if you listen to rap there's a lot of machismo that you don't find in any other kind of music. I don't find it bad at all.
Philip is having a nice conversation with Philip.
Quote by snipelfritz

I could be wrong but it seems like a lot of the rappers that rap about what you've mentioned are the guys that have been brought up in a community which is heavily based around reputation and fear. That is being displayed through their music, which I find really sad but hey, you can't deny that it mustn't be nice having to conform to all expectations.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
It's extremely interesting, and a great mirror for how many things work; those who scream the loudest are heard. Goes for politicians, activists, celebrities-who-don't-do-much-else-but-being-famous (Oprah, Hilton, you name 'em), brands, etc.

Rock 'n roll used to have this attitude to some extent, as well; it was 50% sticking it to the man, 50% bragging about how awesomely booze-filled, drug-hyped and sexed-up their rockstar lives were.

It's another way of selling your product, I fear. Kids look up to such pricks, want to be like them, and take the first few visible steps: listening to their music, dressing like them, acting like them, thinking it'll bring them what they see in the videos and hear in the lyrics.
Quote by Philip Xander

I don't know how much I agree with this.

I mean, if this were the case, of it stemming from a society primarily focused around materialism/appearance/etc, we'd see ego-centric rap at it's roots. But it's not. Gangsta rap didn't really start until the 80's, and that's really the first genre where people were hyping themselves up as 'hard' and tough, etc. The 90's was really the start of the materialistic rap, where people were hyping themselves up because of their wealth and whatnot. There's no doubt exceptions to the rule, but most early rap was really just kind of funk-based party rap and stuff. Not too much "I'm the best cause I got..." etc.

I also don't know how much I like you saying that the 'social milieu' is primarily competitive through appearances, because if it is, then all societies are so there's not really much of a reason in pointing it out. I don't know. That's probably a discussion for another time.

But really Phil, the reason why a lot of popular rap is ego-centric, is because so much of today's rap stems from the gangsta rap of the 80's and the materialistic rap of the 90's. Those were two hugely popular styles of rap (I mean the 90's is called the Golden Era), and so much of their influence, lyrically at least, is present today.
it's all coming back

Quote by Spambot_2
Even though this probably was a joke, it deeply offended me.

As for the rappers, I agree with the competitivity thing.
Apart from saying they're awesome, some of them also diss others.
And some of them also say good things about others but that's rare.

Listen to the jokerr (with two r) for examples of everything.

Eh, I disagree. Rappers often form... "partnerships" that are constantly hyping each other up.

Eminem and Doctor Dre are constantly talking about each other. Dre also raps complimentary stuff about Snoop Dogg and his late nemesis, Eazy E. "**** the beef dog, I miss you, and that's just being real with you."
50 Cent tells Eminem "You know you my favorite white boy, right?"
Tech N9ne and Krizz Kaliko, etc.
Most of them pay homage to the "late, greats" like Tupac and Eazy E.

And then they all have their own scenes or lower-profile groups that are associated with them and often appear on their songs. These guys are always hyping each other as well. 50 Cent has G-Unit, Tech N9ne has Strange Music records and the 816 Boys, Waka Flocka has Bricksquad, Eminem has D-12, DMX had the Ruff Ryders, etc.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Sep 6, 2014,
^ lol waka doesnt have bricksquad, gucci mane has bricksquad and wakas contract.

Besides bricksquad isnt a group its a label
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by Philip_pepper
Yo, what's the general opinion on Hopsin? This dude seems awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRVOOwFNp5U

he's an ass but a good ass.

has some good songs but has way too many angsty ones where he rails on exes, producers, record labels, shitty friends, hangers-on, getting friendzoned, etc, like get it Hopsin, you have a lot of shitheads in your life. Have to listen to him in small doses or it gets a bit too whiney.

Seeing him live in a few weeks.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
he's an ass but a good ass.

has some good songs but has way too many angsty ones where he rails on exes, producers, record labels, shitty friends, hangers-on, getting friendzoned, etc, like get it Hopsin, you have a lot of shitheads in your life. Have to listen to him in small doses or it gets a bit too whiney.

Seeing him live in a few weeks.

lol emo rapper.
don't be mad cuz I'm doin' me better than u be doin' u
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Hopsin annoying. Like, the angst doesn't bother me, but it's the preachy type of angst that I hate. Which is a shame, cause his rapping and production isn't even half bad.
it's all coming back

Quote by RylanThePotato
don't be mad cuz I'm doin' me better than u be doin' u

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh son
it's all coming back

Quote by Baby Joel
Hopsin annoying. Like, the angst doesn't bother me, but it's the preachy type of angst that I hate. Which is a shame, cause his rapping and production isn't even half bad.

I haven't listened to it much but his latest album is a lot less angsty in his words but is kinda meh in the overall song quality.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Page 1 of 2