Hey guys. I recently learned the shapes for the major, major seventh, minor and minor seventh chords across the neck. So could you suggest some songs that contain some of these chords so that I could get used to playing those chord shapes.
Songs to practice chords.. I would normally just say pretty much every popular song you've ever heard, but I'll try to help a little more than that.
One of the first songs that ever introduced me to common chords would definitely be House of the Rising Sun by The Animals. Really good song too, and given your influences you list on your profile I'd say you may enjoy it.
Actually a song which I've been playing a lot myself lately would be Beautiful Day by U2. It has your common caged chords but also throws in a rough A to B minor chord switch which beginners will definitely find really really tricky. The chorus also plays the same progression but with 6 string barre chords. It'd be a good song to introduce you to barre chords also.
Umm, Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd.
Honestly i could go on and on and on naming songs with your common chords.
I'm assuming by 'all across the neck', you mean you've been taking a look at the CAGED system.

I'm sorry I don't have any suggested songs, but something that I saw in a Guthrie Govan video awhile back that helped solidify the whole concept in my brain, was to take a song, like the ones mentioned above, and pick a span of 4-5 frets on the guitar. You're now confined to those frets for the duration of the song.

The next time you play the song, confine yourself to another 4-5 frets.

The idea is that pretty much any song's chords can be played within a 4-5 fret span. Learning to play them in a confined space will get you using chord voicings you don't normally use.
Last edited by mjones1992 at Sep 6, 2014,
Well Im not sure what the CAGED system is but the 4-5 fret idea seems pretty usefull, I'll try it out. Thanks for the input. Oh and by the way, would it be a good idea to relearn the song on a different 4-5 span, or would that be redundant?
Quote by Infinitychord95
Well Im not sure what the CAGED system is but the 4-5 fret idea seems pretty usefull, I'll try it out. Thanks for the input. Oh and by the way, would it be a good idea to relearn the song on a different 4-5 span, or would that be redundant?

It would absolutely help. What you're trying to accomplish is to know your chords all across the neck in different positions.

Taking a song where you already know, for instance, that the chords are C, F, Am, G and then learning that in all different positions is going to drill where those chords are all across the fretboard into your head.
I'd recommend songs with lots of chord changes and various extensions on triads. It'll help you with memorising shapes and changing positions. Some that come to mind are "When I Was Your Man" by Bruno Mars, "Close to You" by The Carpenters, and "St. Patrick's Day" by John Mayer.
Try Oasis, dude. Stand By Me, Don't Look Back in Anger, The Masterplan (this is a tricky one). They have really good stuff for practising chords.
Playing 12-bar blues chord progressions was a good way for me to practice chords. It can be played nice and slow so you get comfortable with chord shapes. And it sounds great, it can be used as rhythm for countless blues songs.
I reckon that any song is good to practice chords.
You'll have to change the music style to play different chords, for example, if you want to learn 7th chords you're not going to play The Ramones, go instead with some blues, jazz, The Beatles, etc.