Okey, So i want to buy a new guitar amp for recording. I used to use my effects modeling pedal to record my guitar from a USB. I am not on a big budget some where around 405 EUR, its something around 532 USD. Now i Also have two condenser mics, one is a big diaphragm vocal mic and the other one is a pencil type instrument mic so i think i could also mic an amp to. I was looking for some warm clean tones and light rock tones so now i am thinking of these three amps, Fender mustang III, Fender mustang IV and Bugera v55 infinium which is a tube amp. So now i need some advice, which one would be most suitable for recording and has more advantages in my situation? Also if you have better suggestions feel free to tell them.

The Tone that i am looking mostly for is something like in this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n19hMu4yW0

More information about the amps that i was thinking about:
http://www.fender.com/series/mustang/mustang-iii-v2-120v/
http://www.fender.com/series/mustang/mustang-iv-v2-120v/
http://www.bugera-amps.com/EN/products/V55-INFINIUM.aspx
Last edited by rokasdane at Sep 6, 2014,
With a choice of those amps, you are probably best off using sims.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
^ the v55 doesn't sound half bad if ya ask me.

Anyway TS, if you're not gonna get past the light rock tones you may wanna check out the egnater tweaker and the blackheart BH15.

If you think you're gonna want some heavier sounds later on, I suggest you get a jet city 2ch 20w or 50w head/combo.

Also it's not a hell of an idea to record guitar amps with condenser mic's - they tend to catch the high end of the sound pretty well, and that's a thing you may wanna avoid when recording guitar amps 'cause past 5kHz or so everything is pretty fizzy, and that's the main reason why they mainly use ribbon and dynamic mic's for that.

So, everything took into consideration, you may wanna consider using amp sims.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Thanks For the feed back, So you are saying that it would be probably better for me to get an amp like a fender mustang instead of tube for recording right?
Quote by Spambot_2
^ the v55 doesn't sound half bad if ya ask me.

It's not bad if you're looking for a cheap amp for gigging, but if you're just looking for something to record....

Quote by rokasdane
Thanks For the feed back, So you are saying that it would be probably better for me to get an amp like a fender mustang instead of tube for recording right?

No. Quite the opposite.

It's generally considered only worth mic'ing an amp once you have the perfect amp for your tone - i.e. normally a tube amp.

If you're going to use a modeller, you might as well use the models you can download for free as amp sims.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Then Maybe you have some suggestions? Because i will only use them for recording and i have done a little research on Bugera and saw that a lot of people complain about its stability, they say it goes down a lot, and when i hear some reviews about the Mustang, people say that it is great and many of them love it, i actually played both Amps the only different was that it was the mustang II.V1 not the III.V2 and i Really liked The tube clean sound coming fro bugera but the but the mustang sounded really bad. So maybe you have other amp suggestions?
The Mustang is a great practice amp. If that's what you were after, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Or the Peavey Vypyr & Vox Valvetronix, which are the other main competitors in the modelling amp market.

If you're on a budget looking for a good tube amp, Luca's suggestion of the Jet City is definitely worth investigating. I have one as my backup amp, and it's great. If you were looking for a cheap gigging amp, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

As it is, you said you're only looking for an amp for recording. If that is your only requirement, and you have all the other recording gear, then sims are the correct answer. People may correct me here, but I believe a lot of professional musicians use them in the studio instead of their real amps.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Well i Actually have several Sims Like guitar Rig 5 and AmpliTube 3, also i have every other recording equipment that is needed to record, but when i use sims there is not a lot of dynamics in there also you can feel the digital effect and latency often. And its a little bit annoying to listen to it through you headphones. It seems that may be a good choice to get something mustang because it has bought things in it so if one doesnt work i could just use the other one. But the thing about the tubes is that even though you have a good sim you still cant replicate the Warm sound that it has.
If it's the tube warmth you're after, remember that the Mustang isn't a tube amp, it's a modeller. You'll be able to do better with sims.

If you definitely want a tube amp, with the features of a modelling amp, the Vypyr Tube could be worth investigating. No experience of it myself, but it gets recommended a hell of a lot and if you can afford it, it'll be a good investment.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
It's not bad if you're looking for a cheap amp for gigging, but if you're just looking for something to record....
I wouldn't use it for gigging 'cause of the reliability issues with all bugera's, but I do think it sounds pretty good for the money.

Well to everyone it's own...
Quote by GaryBillington
People may correct me here, but I believe a lot of professional musicians use them in the studio instead of their real amps.
Professional musicians as in people that gain enough money from playing music to have a decent life?

If that's the case, the vast majority of them will insult the studio tech if he even suggests using something digital instead of a warm, analog, exciting, nice, vintage tube amp.

Well that's extreme but you get my point - people going into studios go there to be able to record real amps and not having to use amp sims.
Quote by rokasdane
But the thing about the tubes is that even though you have a good sim you still cant replicate the Warm sound that it has.
You sound like you've never tried a good amp sim.

You may wanna have a look, in this order, at the softube amp rooms, bx_rockrack pro, and LePou's stuff.

Also, it's not like it's not worth trying and recording an amp with a condenser mic, just it's not really ideal, though if you like the sound of your amp it may well be worth to try and record it.

What mic's and audio interface would you be using?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Well i have a Roland quad capture interface and And AKG perception 220 and 120 mics also i am thinking of getting Shure SM57 if i will buy an amp.
Well in that case, I'd say buy the amp if you're gonna need it for other stuff too, say gigging, or playing with a friend or two, or doodling around by yourself without having to power up the computer and connect everything and so on.

If you needed something for recording only, I'd say stick to free amp sims which can sound just about as good as an actual amp if you take enough time in working with them.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Try looking into the Blackstar ID TVP series. I just brought the 60W version home for $529.00 CAD New! Some great reviews on the Web on these. What attracted me was the TVP selections that really change the character of the sound and it's an amp that will work at lower volumes for home but kick out at jamming/gig levels too.
The 30W version is $409 CAD and if you want something really smaller there's a 15W for like $240 dollars.
Moving on.....
i am getting sick of recommending this lol, but a POD HD and a powered wedge.solid unit, and has alot of recording shit with it. it basically is a interface for GUITARS, Vocals i have no idea.

or find one of the original axfx i haven't checked out prices in a long time, but who knows.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^ the POD HD pro has a mic input, but apart from that and the box it comes into it's the same as the HD500x (or HD500, I'm not sure).

For the money of an HD pro though you could get an HD500x and you'd be left with the money to get a better sounding and bigger audio interface.

Anyway, if ya ask me a POD is hella convenient if you wanna play live and if you wanna practice and you don't wanna power up your computer and set up everything everytime, but it doesn't sound any better than good amp sims, so if it's strictly for recording I wouldn't see the need for it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
if it's strictly for recording I wouldn't see the need for it.

Quoted because it's been the answer for most stuff discussed in this thread so far.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud