Hi

So I was a cellist and a violist for a while, but I had to quit. My musical taste has been classical oriented. I've got a gibson les paul studio lying around, that i've been wanting to get to. My landlord doesn't allow much noise, and I will be using headphones. Over the last month or so I've been playing around with it, strumming chords, trying out scales and arpeggios and stuff, but now I really want to get into it. So to start off, I need to buy a guitar amp. I'm using a sub 40$ craigslist amp, that needs to be replaced immediately.

Now I am not looking for anything fancy at all. My requirements from the amp - (1) it should be good sounding, (2) it should be a good value for money, quality purchase available in Canada, (3) it should be relatively small in size, and (4) it should be well compatible with all pedalboards, loopers and whatnots, and should be up to industry standards in those aspects.

I don't really know much about this stuff and I haven't done my research, but I'm really just hoping to have a good sounding amp. A simple eq and reverb/chorus would be appreciated, but I can live without it. For the moment, I want to buy a good sounding amp that'll accompany me as I explore music (sry for the cheesiness). And maybe if I see myself really getting into it, i think my next logical purchase would be a looper pedal.

I don't wanna go stingy and get something substandard. At the same time, I don't wanna spend too much on stuff I'm not gonna use.

I'm looking at the Ibanez TSA5, Blackstar HT1/5, Kustom Defender, Yamaha THR5, Lanley Cub 8, etc, but its all just names and jargon to me at this point. I pretty much need someone else to make this decision for me. The les paul studio I have has a burstbucker pro on the neck and a seymour duncan jb on the bridge, if that is relevant for the amp purchase. (Also, can someone tell me what those pickups are and whether or not I will need to replace them?) Theres a bit of buzz on one of the strings so I'm taking it to a guitar-repair-guy one of these days anyways.

Also, what would it sound like if I used an amp head with a pair of monitoring speakers? What about my Alessandro MS1i headphones? Do I want a dedicated 'guitar speaker'?
Last edited by pkguitar2014 at Sep 6, 2014,
Thought I'd fill this out:

Budget? - 100-300. Don't want to spend on bells and whistles, unless they're actually a quality product and worth money.

Genres? - This sorta stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZDA1crTi9A (Bach), i'll be doing some blues improvisation, just messing around with scales etc.

New or Used? - Preferably new, but thats only because I don't know what to look for in a used amp.

Home or Gig? - Home use only.

Closest City? - Victoria BC

Current Gear? - As mentioned, Gibson Les Paul Studio, (mahogany body and neck), burstbucker pro in the neck, seymour duncan jb in the bridge.
Since you desire quality sound and ability to be quiet look at a Line 6 POD HD if you have the money, the older POD X3/XT if your budget is tighter
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ I highly second that, you want a POD, TS.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Sell me on the analog vs digital thing (i don't have any opinions on the topic, but people tend to say that analog tube amps are much better than any modelling software).
And with the POD you can run head phones or you can run it into your amp for times that you can be louder. The POD has some really good amp/cab/FX built in

For your budget you will have a hard time finding a decent tube amp.

I only use tube amps when gigging/band practice. At my house I use a POD XT and I am completely happy with the sound quality
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 6, 2014,
Quote by pkguitar2014
Sell me on the analog vs digital thing (i don't have any opinions on the topic, but people tend to say that analog tube amps are much better than any modelling software).
They say it because the digital stuff they use isn't as good as the analog stuff they use, though if they used high quality digital stuff they might as well leave the analog stuff home, or bring it around for aesthetic purpose.

The POD does sound good, no need to worry about that.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Okay, interesting.
Can someone lay out the products worth looking into if I were to go down the modelling path?
Which pod products are good/provide best value for money?
What other competitors are worth looking into?
Would it be more cost efficient than buying a USB Soundcard Interface and modelling software?
Quote by Robbgnarly
Since you desire quality sound and ability to be quiet look at a Line 6 POD HD if you have the money, the older POD X3/XT if your budget is tighter

This. You should also consider a Zoom G3/5.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
^ never been a big zoom fan. at the price point, nothing else compares to the POD for amp modeling/FX quality. I also like the ability to change cab modeling and mic type/placement. The deep editing (at least on my POD XT) is very user friendly
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Weird that you say you will be using headphones and then ask for advice on what amp to buy. For headphones I +1 on the Zoom G3 or G5 advice. Includes a looper synced to a drum machine, which isn't available in the other suggestions.

Ignoring the headphones your requirement for compatibility with all pedals, loopers, etc.. suggests that you should stay clear of modeling amps such as the Yamaha. Amp modeling is included in multifx like the Zoom and studio monitors or a keyboard amp will work well without the guitar speaker necessary.
Last edited by fly135 at Sep 6, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ never been a big zoom fan. at the price point, nothing else compares to the POD for amp modeling/FX quality. I also like the ability to change cab modeling and mic type/placement. The deep editing (at least on my POD XT) is very user friendly

I've never been a fan of Line 6 - subjectivity at it's best

FWIW, the G3 you can change the cab modelling, not sure about the mic type & placement, I've never needed to look that deep.

For my money though, the G3 is on a par with the POD, but I prefer the way it works and like the extra features it includes like the looper & drum sequencer which (I think?) you only get on the top end of Line 6's range.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Hey to each his own and either would work fine for what TS wants

I used to have a Digitech GNX3 and it had some cool features like a removable SD card, looper, drum synth. But the quality of the amp/cab/fx left some to be desired. Even my least favorite newer MFX are much better quality
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by pkguitar2014
Would it be more cost efficient than buying a USB Soundcard Interface and modelling software?
If you're willing to spend a lot more time in it, to learn mixing stuff and make stuff sound good in the box, and you're never gonna play live with it, I'd say software amp sims will end up costing you less than a good hardware modeler.

Take into consideration though, that the latter will be a looooooooot more convenient without having to wait for the computer to power up everytime, without having to put up with the bugs you may encounter...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
i don't know much about silent practising but the guys helping you know what they're talking about

regarding the pickups, they should be fine. the duncan JB is a fairly versatile, fairly high output pickup which can be used for most styles of music. the burstbucker pro is a slightly hotter than paf-type neck pickup which again should be suitable for most types of music. i wouldn't bother swapping them unless you don't like what you're hearing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Again, I'm really not trying to spend much on the bells and whistles here. Mic Placement is WAY WAY down on my list of priorities. If I'm paying more, I want to be paying for tone, sound quality and more accurate modeling/simulation. I do care for a looper and an expression pedal, but I don't mind if it is better to purchase them separately later.
All bells and whistles aside, which Multi Effects and Amp Simulator (apparently thats what i'm looking for now, right?) is the most well priced? In the sense, which multi effects/amp sim unit will sound the best at a reasonable price? With the higher models will I only be paying for more effects, or are the internals, the DAC and stuff improved too?
From the bit of research I did, Boss, Zoom and Line 6 have something along these lines.
Again, walk me through the models out there, and what i'd be paying for in a more expensive one.
At stores near me, the Zoom G3X is available for 209, Zoom G5 for 319, the Line 6 POD 2 for 219, Line 6 HD 400 for 329, and the Boss ME-80 for 309.

Tell me what I'd be paying for by buying one of the more expensive ones.

Also, tell me what else I should be looking at.
Like I said I prefer the Line 6 POD. The POD 2.0 is the original version and the POD HD is the newest and the best sounding. The POD HD came in 4 versions the HD300, HD400,HD500/500X and the Bean. the 300 has the least amount of features, the 400 is the middle of the road and the 500/500X/Bean offer the most features (the bean needs the FBV shortboard MKII to run it live)
The XT is better than the POD 2.0 and the X3 is a bit better than the XT.

The XT live and X3 live are models that incorporate them into a MFX pedal and can be bought really cheap used

The boss ME line is a bit outdated in the world of MFX
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 6, 2014,
why did they discontinue the line 6 pod hd400? How does it compare to the Zoom G3x/G5?
Again, I'm gonna spend most of my time on cleans, i hope I'm not buying something I regret. Most people on youtube seem to by plugging these units through an amp, rather than using them just by themselves, why is that?
Quote by pkguitar2014
why did they discontinue the line 6 pod hd400?
They came up with the HD500 and HD500x, which are more or less the same things, though they have more processing power so you can run more effects on them.
Quote by pkguitar2014
Most people on youtube seem to by plugging these units through an amp, rather than using them just by themselves, why is that?
They may be using them for effects only, or for amp simulations while bypassing the pre of the amp they're plugged in.

In any case, they work just as fine with headphones.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Honestly get a used POD HD500
11Racks are nice, but myself and many others like the POD HD500 better. Don't get me wrong the 11R is nice, but it will be more expensive (midi switcher) if you ever play live with it. But if it is strictly for studio work, the 11R will work just fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Honestly get a used POD HD500
11Racks are nice, but myself and many others like the POD HD500 better. Don't get me wrong the 11R is nice, but it will be more expensive (midi switcher) if you ever play live with it. But if it is strictly for studio work, the 11R will work just fine

I won't be playing live ever. I'm still primarily a cellist, this is just for fun. The 11 rack will be relevant in other recording situations and as a usb sound card.
I will benefit from having a good usb interface, I think I'm gonna get the eleven rack, it seems right for me.

The problem with eleven rack seems like its too dependent on protools. I don't think I'll ever spend money on protools, is it still worthwhile buying the 11 rack?

All bells and whistles and everything aside

If I'm just plugging in my les paul into a 11rack and a pod hd400, which would sound better? Simplistic tones, cleans, etc. I do plan to experiment with effects, but not at the moment. Everything else aside, who does amp simulation right?
The POD will be more user friendly
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The POD will be more user friendly

I don't care too much about user friendliness, I will never be performing live, and I won't be lining up many intricate effects or anything.

Which sounds better? Which does amp simulation better?

Also, what is the eleven rack's reputation on community and support? I know that pod is widely used.
The POD HD has better amp models IMO

By user friendly I meant for adjusting parameters
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 7, 2014,
If your going to be using headphones most of the time the headphone out is a sack of crap so just skip the middleman and get a pod. /thread
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle
If your going to be using headphones most of the time the headphone out is a sack of crap so just skip the middleman and get a pod. /thread

I don't understand what you mean.

What middleman?

I'm planning to plug my guitar directly into one of these audio interface/effects units. I was either gonna get the Pod 2 or the Zoom G3X, till I saw this used Eleven Rack for sale for about 400 near me.
If your not getting the POD HD then get the 11R because it is deff better than the Zoom and the POD 2.0
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate