Hello everybody,

I'm moving to a university dorm room in a month, so I will only be able to play guitar with headphones in. I would really appreciate suggestions of amps to buy for playing metal guitar with headphones only.

Thanks a million,

Ben.
Peavey Vypyr 30
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
I'd look at a POD HD if you only will use headphones. If you do think you'll be able to use the speaker at all, the Vypyr is a good bet
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
^+1
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you can use headphones only a Pod is a good choice.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by dementiacaptain
I'd look at a POD HD if you only will use headphones. If you do think you'll be able to use the speaker at all, the Vypyr is a good bet

Yeah, and if a HD is out of your budget, the older XT and X3 models are very nice as well.
^ Or a Zoom G3/5
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Mustang I V.2 is great out of phones. With Fuse software you can do really deep editing and it has more amps and effects included than on the physical amp itself. I've also owned the G5 and it is definitely very cool, but not triple-the-price-of-the-Mustang cool, in my opinion. But all of the suggestions made by everyone here will serve you well.
Any of the Vypyrs are good choices, I recommend a 30, but the 15 is just fine, except it lacks an extra knob for more effects.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Schecter Damien Platinum FR
Yamaha FG700S (Acoustic)
Peavey Vypyr
Fender Mustang I
I think I'll get a pod as I am only using it for headphones. What are the major differences between the POD HD, XT and X3? Also is the pocket POD any good?? Thanks.
Last edited by benjaminhonan at Sep 6, 2014,
The POD XT is the oldest of those and has the least amount of models/features but they sound very good.
The X3 is nice and it offers a nice selection of models and they still sound very good
The HD is the newest and most realistic sounding of them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by benjaminhonan
I think I'll get a pod as I am only using it for headphones. What are the major differences between the POD HD, XT and X3? Also is the pocket POD any good?? Thanks.

Pods have a noise gate you can turn on and off.

Pod X3 is basically Pod XT with all the downloadable amp packs already installed and also has double amp feature where you can have two different amp and effects sets on at the same time. Though some say XT sounds better (I cant confirm, I only have X3) they are still the same breed. Both Pod X3 and XT can be had for quite cheap on used market and have a shit ton of stuff to be toyed with.

Pod HD on the other hand has gone for quality over quantity. Noticeably less amp models to choose from than XT + packs or X3 but modeling quality is quite a bit better.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Then within the HD series you have the 300,400,500 the original bean style and the Pro, which is a rack unit.

The HD series is definitely the most realistic, but from what I understand it doesn't have some models that were on the X3 that people enjoyed (no 5150 model, for example). As Robb said, they all sound pretty good, and most can be had for cheap. I just got an HD300 for $150, I'm very impressed with it so far.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Boss Micro BR 80 I have one it is quite an amazing device. Does so much more and the amp models are excellent.