Hi, I have a zakk wyde wah pedal, and i have a/b'd it connected and disconnected many times and it definitely makes the amp sound noticably worse compared to when im plugged straight into the amp (even when the pedal is off)

i cbf opening the thing up, drilling holes, soldering, installing a switch etc,
Surely there is some off the shelf bypass thing where u just plug your leads into it and it has a button on it to bypass the pedal entirely for like 5 bucks, can someone point me to one?

thanks.
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by e32lover
Surely there is some off the shelf bypass thing where u just plug your leads into it and it has a button on it to bypass the pedal entirely
Yeah, sure.
Quote by e32lover
for like 5 bucks

Though seriously, just google something like "guitar looper pedal", or search it on ebay.
You want something like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Effects-Loop-Bypass-Pedal-Guitar-Single-One-Mono-True-Bypass-Looper/291224672821?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107083358%26meid%3Da39723e60e2140b28c6d10b5b7805d81%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D20140107083358%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D201111718187
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^ yeah

just be careful- "looper" pedals are a different type of pedal which records what you play and plays it back. some people call true bypass loop pedals "loopers" too, so there's a bit of confusion around the name
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
some people call true bypass loop pedals "loopers" too, so there's a bit of confusion around the name
Much like Northern Ireland, which some people call UK and some people call Ireland.

I got that now at least.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
lol
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This is about as cheap as you're going to get without building one yourself.

Another option is opening that badboy up and wiring a true bypass switch into it, but if you don't know what you're doing or have no soldering experience, don't bother.
I dont understand, I could go to my local electronics store and buy the parts, 4x 1/4 jacks: $2, footswitch: 3$, a bit of solder and a few inches of wire: $0, make a tiny wooden box: $0. Am I missing something here?
RG's & Mesa's
You need a switch that's high quality enough not to "pop" when you press it, else everytime you'll switch the pedal between on and off you'll hear a very annoying loud pop.

Also make sure the wooden box is solid enough for you to accidentally step on 'cause shit happens.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
OK its make my own bypass pedal time. so the bypass pedal will have the guitar and amp running into it, (so thats 4 wires), and the wah send and receive running out of it (another 4 wires). How many pin switch do I need? and can I leave any of the circuits permanantly connected, EG Guitar to wha input (obviously running through an "always on"/middle pin" on the bypass pedal, and just use the bypass switch to switch between the guitar in to amp out (direct), and wah out to amp?

Also to the poster, this would be a "true bypass" if done properly. And just out of curiousity that looper thing, why does it have a power supply?
RG's & Mesa's
Last edited by e32lover at Sep 7, 2014,
Quote by e32lover
OK its make my own bypass pedal time. so the bypass pedal will have the guitar and amp running into it, (so thats 4 wires), and the wah send and receive running out of it (another 4 wires). How many pin switch do I need?
4 wires + 4 wires to do what exactly?
You may wanna think if it's a good idea doing it even if you can't figure that stuff out.

Well if you're sure, have a look at this - http://www.beavisaudio.com/projects/Looper-Switcher/index.htm

You may also ground everything to the chassis if you end up using a metal casing.
Quote by e32lover
and can I leave any of the circuits permanantly connected, EG Guitar to wha input (obviously running through an "always on"/middle pin" on the bypass pedal, and just use the bypass switch to switch between the guitar in to amp out (direct), and wah out to amp?
That wasn't clear at all.

You would connect the guitar to the main looper input, the amp to the main looper output, whatever pedal's input to the looper's send, and whatever pedal's output to the looper's return.

That way, the signal either goes directly from the looper's input (guitar) to the looper's output (amp), or passes for the insert (send -> pedal(s) -> return) before going to the looper's output.
Quote by e32lover
Also to the poster, this would be a "true bypass" if done properly. And just out of curiousity that looper thing, why does it have a power supply?
To light up the led that tells you if the thing is on or not.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
well not sure if you noticed but guitar leads contain 2 wires each, one for the positive and one for the negative. 4 guitar leads x 2 wires = 8 wires. Yes I know how to connect it, that is the easy part. Wiring it up internally to the switch is where some experimenting is required.

What im asking is, if I have the guitar lead going to the bypass box, soldered to a common pin on the switch then continuing to the wah pedal (so this part of the circuit is always active), and have the switch simply de activating the return signal from the wah pedal and bridging the "guitar in" to "amp out" on the bypass pedal, would this be the same as a hard bypass (considering there is still a signal being sent to the turned off wah, but nothing coming back from it)

Please someone other than Spambot answer my question he obviously is pretty confused with all the maths here.
RG's & Mesa's
Last edited by e32lover at Sep 7, 2014,
Quote by e32lover
well not sure if you noticed but guitar leads contain 2 wires each, one for the positive and one for the negative. 4 guitar leads x 2 wires = 8 wires. Yes I know how to connect it, that is the easy part. Wiring it up internally to the switch is where some experimenting is required.

What im asking is, if I have the guitar lead going to the bypass box, soldered to a common pin on the switch then continuing to the wah pedal (so this part of the circuit is always active), and have the switch simply de activating the return signal from the wah pedal and bridging the "guitar in" to "amp out" on the bypass pedal, would this be the same as a hard bypass (considering there is still a signal being sent to the turned off wah, but nothing coming back from it)

Please someone other than Spambot answer my question he obviously is pretty confused with all the maths here.

Spambot_2 I think linked you to the wrong page. If you're building it yourself, you want this page (second wiring diagram down unless you don't care about an LED indicator).

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about with 'soldering guitar leads into the box'. That seems a little ridiculous unless I'm not grasping what you're saying. Soldering wires in is a little permanent when you can build something with jacks that takes 1/4" instrument cables lol.

For hookup wire I recommend 22 Gauge. Most people use 24 Gauge, but I find that it breaks too easily. The rest of the parts are labeled.

Check out Tayda electronics for cheap-ey prices on components+shipping (DO NOT go to radioshack. Most of the 'hardware' components (switches and jacks) are not labeled correctly and the prices are often over triple what you'd pay on the nets). I think they have a minimum of a $5 orders.

You can also go to small bear or mammoth but I find them to be a hair tad more expensive (albeit MUCH faster).

EDIT: I noticed the LED size wasn't labeled and the resistor was a little ambiguous in the diagram. I always use a 2.2k resistor into a 3mm LED for my projects. I've seen people using larger LEDs but 3mm is pretty standard size for commercial pedals.

EDIT 2: Spambot_2 linked you to the right page. He just linked you to the long one with lots and lots of different diagrams, but for what I think you're trying to do, the one I pointed out is correct.

EDIT 3: Lol I'm editting this a lot. Anyway, building something like this might be easier, but for the cheapest option, and if you're comfortable with it, you could wire a true-bypass switch directly into the wah. Here is a video demonstrating the process on a Crybaby (which I'm assuming your wah is a derivative of). It's not hard, but it will involve opening up the wah and MAY change the tone ever so slightly (probably for the better, honestly). Anyway, that'll fix the problem and save you real-estate on your pedal board and some money. Plus it's an attractive selling point if one day you decide to sell it.
Last edited by mjones1992 at Sep 7, 2014,
ok thanks for the detailed info, much appreciated. As I mentioned in the 8th post, i'd be wiring 1/4 inch jacks to the switch, not guitar leads.

I still dont understand how what im proposing would not be a true bypass?
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by e32lover
ok thanks for the detailed info, much appreciated. As I mentioned in the 8th post, i'd be wiring 1/4 inch jacks to the switch, not guitar leads.

I still dont understand how what im proposing would not be a true bypass?

Well, I feel like I didn't understand what you were saying the first time (I'm still on coffee #1 this morning). Sorry. I think you do have it sorted. I was just totally thrown by the idea of soldering the leads directly to the switch thing

Just in case I'm still not understanding (sometimes reading what's going on throws me for a loop. I'm more of a visual guy), I'd check out the links and see if what you're saying is essentially what these guys have done and have proven to work.

Anyway, I would totally just do the Wah mod. It sounds like you know enough not to **** it up
not 5 bucks. but a good bypass pedal will about 25 min.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by e32lover
I meant to mock you, 'cause you were assuming wrong stuff.
If you ground everything to the box, you need 4 wires, and if you don't you need 5.
Quote by e32lover
Current follows the path of the least resistance, and even if the pedal had the same input impedance of the amp (though it's likely lower) you'd loose half of your signal's power if you kept the guitar always connected to the pedal via the bypass looper.
Quote by e32lover
Would you please act this way when you're the one asking questions here?
You don't need 8 cables inside that pedal.
Quote by e32lover
As I mentioned in the 8th post, i'd be wiring 1/4 inch jacks to the switch, not guitar leads.
A guitar lead IS an 1/4" jack.
A male one though, and you'd be putting female ones on the bypass looper.

Please, for the sake of clarity, get your terminology right.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
enclosure costs more than 5 dollars
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by e32lover
I dont understand, I could go to my local electronics store and buy the parts, 4x 1/4 jacks: $2, footswitch: 3$, a bit of solder and a few inches of wire: $0, make a tiny wooden box: $0. Am I missing something here?

The electronics store will sell project boxes in plastic or metal, you don't need to make one. You do need a big drill bit or reamer for the holes.
Ok thanks for the advice guys. Already sorted, cheers. Works great, i just built the switch into my wooden pedal board.

BTW Spambot, ill teach you something here, you obviously could benefit from some electric know how to avoid embarrassing yourself again in the future, you say:

"Current follows the path of the least resistance, and even if the pedal had the same input impedance of the amp (though it's likely lower) you'd loose half of your signal's power if you kept the guitar always connected to the pedal via the bypass looper."

Well that statement is incorrect. If I had the input (guitar lead) always connected to the wah via the bypass box's common lug (but the output (wah return) switchable as I stated), then when i have the bypass box on "bypass mode", (guitar lead straight to amp, but with guitar lead also going to wah but no return), then there will be infinite resistance on the wah side, and practically no resistance from the guitar lead to the amp lead.

Since I feel sorry for you, and since I am the type of person who prefers to teach others to alleviate their ignorance on a subject I have provided a link that will be most useful to you: Have a read of this, it will give you yet another excuse to not play guitar

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/electronic-basics-electrical-current.html
RG's & Mesa's
Last edited by e32lover at Sep 8, 2014,
Quote by e32lover
Well that statement is incorrect.
Would you be so kind to point out the exact wrong part and why that is wrong?
Quote by e32lover
If I had the input (guitar lead) always connected to the wah via the bypass box's common lug (but the output (wah return) switchable as I stated), then when i have the bypass box on "bypass mode", (guitar lead straight to amp, but with guitar lead also going to wah but no return), then there will be infinite resistance on the wah side, and practically no resistance from the guitar lead to the amp lead.
The thing would be a true bypass if the bold part was true.

Thing is, the resistance is the same whether the thing is on and off and whether the thing is inserted in the circuit or not.

Also if you keep the guitar tip connected to the pedal tip AND the amp tip, the impedance of your signal drops by a half (again, assuming the amp and pedal have the same input impedances, which is unlikely) and you loose about half of your signal strength.

That though only when you're going directly into the amp and the guitar still "sees" the pedal's input.

When engaging the pedal though your guitar only sees one load, and you gain a boost when engaging the pedal.

So, that wouldn't be a true bypass at all, no.

Please, try it if you don't believe me

And please stop insulting me, that's not really nice, it's pointless.
Though on the other hand you may as well continue, I am finding this pretty funny
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Sep 8, 2014,
Quote by Spambot_2

And please stop insulting me, that's not really nice, it's pointless.
Though on the other hand you may as well continue, I am finding this pretty funny

+1 spambot is a regular and he knows what he is talking about it.

what is the point of being an ass and insulting somebody? who DOES know it better. seriously.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/