Hi,
I am wondering what you think about these guitars.
I know yamaha are made in china, but I saw a video on how their made, they look nice in quality.
Seagull might be out of the question, since I can't find and acoustic-electric by them. I am however looking at the original S6, it looks nice. But I'm not in for looks. I was told to not go with a laminated finish or something like that, due to that it affects sound quality.
I can get out to a guitar center in a couple of weeks, so I can try these. I just want to have a general idea of what brand I should be looking at. I can go up to $400. That's it.
Thank you.
The S6 is a very good guitar, but what would really sway me in that direction is the neck joint. I don't know if it still true, but in the past they had a bolt-on neck joint that can be very easily reset if the guitargoes banana-shaped. You can check this by looking throuigh the soundhole at the neck block. - If there are a couple of bolt heads or a wooden plate hiding where the bolts would be, it is very likely their simple bolt-on neck. If this isn't evident, then it would be a toss-up for me between the S6 and the Yamaha, which also has a good reputation.

Here's some info and pic:

http://liutaiomottola.com/construction/Bolton.htm
Last edited by Tony Done at Sep 6, 2014,
I own a 15 yr old S6+ and a 40 yr old Yam FG180. Not the same guitars but in the same quality range. I like both and they have been through the mill on hundreds of gigs. I do prefer the Seagull these days.

Play both and decide which one best fits your needs. I think they are both good build quality and value in under $500 acoustics.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Forget everything you know about laminated wood and finished and whatnot.

The only thing that matters, is which one you like more. It could be a pink Hello Kitty guitar, but as long as you are confident that it sounds the exact way you want your instrument to sound (or at least, close enough in the budget etc etc), then you made the right purchase.

edit: take this with a grain of salt Often times looking at the construction methods and materials, etc, are able to help you gauge if the guitar is worth looking at. For the budget you're looking at, don't worry about construction or anything, just worry about which guitar you feel suits you best.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Last edited by Baby Joel at Sep 7, 2014,
the yamaha original S6 is one of the best sounding solid top guitars i've played. i also love the wider neck! the yamaha FG730 (with a warmer tone than the FG700) is a closer comparison, but i prefer the S6's tone and neck.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Something to consider: the S6 has way better resale value.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Rockwellguitar
Hi,
I am wondering what you think about these guitars.
I know yamaha are made in china, but I saw a video on how their made, they look nice in quality.
Seagull might be out of the question, since I can't find and acoustic-electric by them. I am however looking at the original S6, it looks nice. But I'm not in for looks. I was told to not go with a laminated finish or something like that, due to that it affects sound quality.
I can get out to a guitar center in a couple of weeks, so I can try these. I just want to have a general idea of what brand I should be looking at. I can go up to $400. That's it.
Thank you.

You'll want to get a solid top guitar. Spruce is the most popular and the overall best IMO. A lot of people like cedar and mahogany too. Laminate sides and back are fine and actually more durable. There's nothing wrong with a decent made all laminate guitar. The sound difference is subtle enough that a novice won't notice the difference, but in time you'll probably wish you got a solid top. Yamaha is a good brand to look at, they generally get the most love as the best bang for the buck guitar. Takamine has some nice guitars at the $400 price range(GD51CE) and many other brands(epiphone, alvarez) as well. I have an Ibanez AEF30E and a Washburn WD7s and I like both of these guitars. It's always best to hit some guitar shops and try in person if that's a possibility. If not then read as many reviews as possible and ask opinions on here of what guitar you are looking at.
Hi,
Ok, I think I narrowed things down a bit.
To just be sure, I'll explain my situation again.
I am currently renting a washburn heritage guitar and am learning to sing with a guitar and how to play guitar at school. I have to return this washburn in 4 months.I can already tell I would like a better guitar. I like the feel of a solid top spruce, and mahogany sides too. The music I will be playing is rock, like foo fighters and pearl jam, gorillaz (not so rock) sound garden, etc. I do realize I need an electric for this kind of music, but I do have an amp and les paul standard. But at school I can only learn acoustic. So for now, thats what I'm learning.
Im looking at electric acoustic so occasionally I can switch to that.
Here are my brands that I am looking at. I got about $500.
Takamine, yamaha and seagull. Im looking at the takamine GD51CE, yamaha FGX730, and seagull original S6 acoustic electric. I am looking for quality and if it will last me a few years. Where does takamine make their guitars? Honestly, I don't know if I'll make it to a guitar store, but I could probably only on a weekend.
Sorry if it seems like I'm a broken record. I am trying to not have a list of a ton of brand. I'm trying to have a top 3 list.
Thank you all so much for all the help. I really want to form a band with my friend, so I plan on sticking with guitar. I also started drums, it seems like I'm better at that than guitar!
Takamine is right in the mix in terms of quality and value. I have several friends who gig with them regularly and they sound good and play well. I think the G series is built in Indonesia to keep labor costs low.

I recommend trying all three as each feels a little different with a different voice. I spent several days in music stores doing exactly this when I settled on the Seagull. I am still surprised by this guitar but all three could have done the job well. It really comes down to personal taste and what feels good in your hands and sounds good to your ears. Specs are of little value to me.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
a couple i like at $500 or less:

seagull original S6 (cedar top, sounds great!)
recording king RO-10 (all solid triple 0 sized guitar)

and then if you want a dread with a slender nut, there's this all solid recording king
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/recording-king-rd-10-dreadnought-classic-series--RD10.htm

but i prefer a wider nut and resonant tone.

i sold my yamaha FG730 to buy my S6 and never looked back, but everyone has different preferences. i liked the FG730 enough to buy it, but to me the S6 sounded sweeter.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Yamaha is also a good brand, I have played a lot of FG700s, it's cool. So I think FGX700 isn't different much compare with FG700s.
I haven't played FGX700 yet, but Seagull S6 Origianal sound is really good and sturdy with solid cedar top. I think the sound come along with a such price is perfect.
I love S6 Original headstock, it's really special and nice.
You can try the sounds in this article: http://apennystrumming.com/best-acoustic-guitars-beginner/
Last edited by cupidon192 at Sep 12, 2014,