Hi,

I'm standing on the chosing between those two guitar multi-effectors.

I'm plan to use it with my lamb VOX Nighttran combo to play jazz, blues rock style music expecially using modulation (chorus, delay). I'd be also intresting in looper and possibility to connect it with PC or MAC for the recordings. Please provide me with the ideas of what BOSS is better for me as well as its difference from the much expensive GT100.

Thanks for help,

James
The ME-70 is more of a true Multi-Effects processor. There are a few amp sims but not as many as the GT-6. The GT-6 is more if you want to get you WHOLE sound from the board (amp tone, ODs and any effects) meanwhile the ME-70 is more for strictly effects. The GT-100 is simply the latest version of the GT series. Between the GT-6 and GT-100 you had the 8 and the 10. Each just sounds better in the amp sims and such than the last. However, the COSM modelling software is very dated now. For strictly effects you'll be better off with any Boss ME-xx over any GT-xx, but for recording you're better off with a GT. For either, however you will need an interface.

However, if you want to record AND have a nice multi FX AND have a looper I'd recommend a POD HD of some sort. Much better technology. Plus there is more options as far as effects. With the ME series you have one slot for chorus, one slot for delay, ect. With a POD you have 8 slots and you can put whatever you want in them. You can have 8 delays, or you can have 8 choruses. It's just better thought out, IMO. Plus a POD will connect right to your computer via USB for recording. The amp sims are much better than the Boss ones as well so it will sound better recording.

TL;DR: The ME is better than the GT for what you need, but you REALLY need a POD.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
here where I know there are possibilities to buy

Multi Effet Guitare Line 6 POD 2 + pédalier FBV (in complex)= 125 euro
Boss Me 70= 180 euro
Boss G6 = 150 euro
Boss G100 = 300 euro (I'm not sure if I need for such expensive multi effector right now)

NB! I don't need in any AMP simulations because I'd used with my VOX amp
NB!! I really need for good quality output sound not perturbing native sound of the guitar ( I've read that GT100 is better in that case). I need in very good REVERB, CHORUS and DELAY.
NB!!! I can use Lexicon ALPHA for recording but I'd prefer to connect Multieffector directly to PC or MAC avoiding using USB
Between the gt6 & me70, the gt6 gives you the ability to rearrange the fx blocks & an fx loop. If you need it for your vox amp mostly for effects then the gt6 is a much better unit.

There is a bunch of PC based stuff available now that outshines some modern or older budget modeling units for recording, for starters SGear program is worth a look. The demo is free for 30 days so you can try out what it sounds like. The delay & chorus that come with it sound fantastic.

If all you use primarily are delay, chorus & reverb then individual pedals on the used market would end up sounding better than most floor multieffect units. While you are looking at the gt6 & me70, might as well look into the latest zoom(ms-70cdr,g3,g3x,g5,ms-100bt) & digitech offerings(element xp,rp360xp), they probably cost less than the gt100 new.
Someone told me that sound fro, (expecially low budget) Zooms are not so good as from the BOSS. What modulation multi-effector units could you suggest me? What's about ZOOM MS 70CDR ?
Don't know about that one, but I have the G3 & it's a great pedal. Think it uses the same engine as the one you're considering? Zoom have a bad reputation from some of their earlier gear which was aimed at the lower end of the market, but they've really stepped up their game in the past couple of years & are now taking it to Line 6 & Boss as a good solid & reliable multieffect manufacturer. FWIW, I tried a POD when I bought my G3 & hated it, for me the Zoom sounded just as good and worked exactly how I wanted it to work.

I'd always recommend Zoom over Boss, I used to have the ME50 & always hated the drive sounds on it. It was great for everything else though & was well built - probably actually better built than the more recent units they've put out. Where Zoom have picked up their game, Boss seem to have dropped theirs lately IMO.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
today I've tested one GT-6 BOSS and Noticed that it works like the BANK for the pre-written effects ( so initially I should to make some effects and than use it)=> no changing on the EQ, dept and tone could be made during its usage. Also the biggest pedal has worked just as the volume control so it seems not the thing which I'm really needed. I've checked also Me70 and noticed that it works more likely common effector- e.g u can choose chorus, delay or flanger and than to make some modification of the sound during the playing (not when you just make effects like in the GT-6 case). Does it really difference between both those BOSS?
In that case I suppose that Me70 is better for my case, isn't it?
I have an old Boss ME-30 and the newer ME-70. They work great if you put time into learning how to program them. The pre-set patches are terrible (IMO). It's all about learning what each effect is capable of and how you create your settings. The ME-70 is easy to program because all of the knobs are real knobs not virtual knobs on a small screen (like the ME-30). Someone mentioned Zoom pedals. I was given one as a present about 4-5 years ago that I'm sure was under $100.00. It was complete junk as far as I concerned. Too few knobs to make adjustments and it was noisey and difficult to program. I think I still have it somewhere.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Sep 9, 2014,
so if I understood correctly all of those processors like zoom and boss are some things which need to be programmed ( to make new effects by the mixing of some presets and changing EQ) and no any changes with the effects are possible during the playing. So I think some modulation pedal might be better for my case which consist of limited set of the effects but which could be tunned in any time. BTW what do you think about Yamaha tonelab ? I've seen in the stocks AG tonelab with good chorus and delay but which is for accoustic guitar so I'm not sure if the sound will OK with the tube AMP. BTW Are there any effector pedals exist with the analog (non digital) sound?
for instance what you can say about => http://www.thomann.de/gb/moog_mf108m_cluster_flux.htm (its looks and sound very good) but very its expensive at thesame time.
also these electro harmonics have seemed very attractive for me (I'm not sure about the second pedal because I don't know what is POG)

http://www.thomann.de/gb/electro_harmonix_epitome.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/electro_harmonix_deluxe_memory_boy.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/electro_harmonix_pog2.htm

SO I'll be thankful for any prepositions of the modulation multi-effectors (the existing of the expression pedal is very desirable)

James
Last edited by James Starlight at Sep 9, 2014,
TheStig is ill infoirmed on some points...

GT-10 and up can record and reamp from PC with built in USB audio interface, so you don't need interface for the later series. Some ppl say the 6 series has a better sound and is the best sounding of them.

The ME series stuff sounds good but is made to be either in front of an amp or in the fx loop, whereas the gt series can be run in 4 cable method which allows the gt to be run before and after preamp. That to me is a deal breaker as I get my distortions elsewhere. The gt series can also be used as control center of a whole midi rig and switches 2 channel standard amps so it could be more handy if you have the need for that. The amp emulation can be disabled easily and it could be argued about how dated is the cost Sims - I can't say I am a huge fan of the competition's modelers either. I run Sansamp PSA-1 for preamp sounds or just my 2 channel Marshall JCM900 in 4 cable method and amp switching. Learning curve is bigger on the GT line than on ME or Line6 stuff, usually why the people that spend less time or don't know what they're doing complain about the sounds.
To put it simply, the GT line is the flagship and it is made for touring pros but some of the newer features are newb friendly shortcuts for dialing tones.
Last edited by diabolical at Sep 9, 2014,
Yes, please do research outside of BOSS and Roland, there's a lot better options imo. They're not the only multifx company out there.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Quote by James Starlight
so if I understood correctly all of those processors like zoom and boss are some things which need to be programmed ( to make new effects by the mixing of some presets and changing EQ) and no any changes with the effects are possible during the playing. So I think some modulation pedal might be better for my case which consist of limited set of the effects but which could be tunned in any time. BTW what do you think about Yamaha tonelab ? I've seen in the stocks AG tonelab with good chorus and delay but which is for accoustic guitar so I'm not sure if the sound will OK with the tube AMP. BTW Are there any effector pedals exist with the analog (non digital) sound?

Actually on the Boss GT line you can program buttons to act as effects, switch on and off, program expression pedal to change one or several of the same or various fx parameters. Say you want to increase chorus time and say delay repeats - you can program that in. Highly versatile stuff actually but you got to hit the book. There are also few effect units out there that are virtually an fx board in one, I think line6 has it under the M series:
http://line6.com/pedals/#pedalboards
The Amplifi seems like a fad toy to me, honestly not much impressed. The other one you posted (bean shape) is OK.
I might point you in a somewhat different direction - look at the Vox line as well. They're easy to tweak and have a USB as well. I really like these:
http://www.voxamps.com/tonelabex
I had both DigiTech and Line6 processors and can't say I liked them, I find them over hyped.
I can't say I've heard anyone play thru these and get a great tone, and I did quite a few sessions as engineer. With the Boss GT 8 and 10 the guys seemed to sound better minus a few teenagers that had no clue what they were doing. Vox actually sounded most organic and was easiest to dial right.
For me it has been Boss but I needed a complex patching solution, the other guitarist in my band went Vox but one of the now discontinued big boats that were bearing the Tonelab moniker and they were also fantastic.
Last edited by diabolical at Sep 10, 2014,
Thank you very much for the suggestions!

I've read alot of these Vox tonelab but never seen it in action => some of my frieds told me that it's better to use it directly with the PC (w/0 amp) for the recording but I don't know (in my case I'd like to connect it with the VOX nighttrain. BTW is this VOx tonelab much more like the multi-processor (to programm effects firstly and than use it) or like the multi-effectors ( to change EQ, effects during the play)? Does the pedal is workslike the expression pedal here?
There is used VOX Tonelab LE in stocks here (120 euro) and new Vox TOnelab ST (170 euro)

James
Last edited by James Starlight at Sep 10, 2014,
I don't know how to differentiate b/w the multi-effectors as you call them and the multi-processors...I think we might be jumbling the info here a bit...

I think you're referring to the marketing gimmick of the M line by Line 6 where they've made them look as separate fx boxes? Well, the thing is that a lot of the multifx manufacturers have had an option to do on the fly on/off switching of effects via the pedals since probably day 1...I remember my ancient quickly broken DOD had it, so did my ancient Digitech and we're talking early to mid 90s. My current GT-10 can also be operated as pedalboard if I want to do so.

The Vox is really a glorified Korg as Vox was purchased a few years ago by Korg for what that is worth. I like their multifx because they sound organic, i.e. less processed. Honestly, don't know if the tube is the reason but somehow they managed to design a better sounding (to my ears) multifx units.

As far as recording features - I am old school as I come from audio engineering background and nothing beats the sound of a speaker pumping in a room with a mic in front of it. The rest to me is a compromise. Can you always blast a tube amp in a room? Probably not, thus we sometimes have to practice and record these things direct. The cool thing with Boss GT-10 and up units (maybe others have them?) is that you can reamp. That is a bit complex to explain in this context but you take a usb feed direct at source at your guitar input in the GT and record that while your monitoring with a full fx chain. What is recorded is a clean uneffected track that you can later run back through the GT and change the effects patch and then record the effected patch. That way you're never locked into a recorded guitar sound, or at least you always have a safety copy that you can use later and run through something else...

As far as the Vox switching effects on the fly - I think it probably has that feature but you might have to read the manual and contact their cust. support - they'd be happy to answer your questions, I am sure. I notice it doesn't have as much step control (they discontinued their more elaborate pedal boards that had more switching options).

Looking at the ST vs the LE:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/vox-tonelab-le-guitar-multi-effects-pedal
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TonelabST/

The main difference I see is that the LE has more switches and you can control it as a pedalboard or as saved effect patches with some programmable on/off options. It doesn't have USB out so you can't record with it plugged into your computer, you'd have to get an audio interface with either analog and/or SPDIF connection or mic an amp for which you still need a recording interface. With that in mind it has better routing and switching option, and an fx loop so you can connect outside pedals and have them on/off in the chain as desired during performance. It looks as it can even do the 4 cable method (please verify with owners or demos, but I think it can) where you can wrap it around an amp that has an fx loop, thus you can have effects before the preamp of the amp and fx after the preamp. See this:
http://www.valvetronix.net/forums/download/file.php?id=895&sid=67efdd7844ad0d8e8af73795bf35fc66

The ST on the other hand doesn't have the routing options and has one output but it has built in audio interface, thus the price difference of 50 euro probably. I hate the switching on that thing though - just patch down/up switches annoy the hell out of me during performance. I had that on an old Zoom multifx pedal and it was a mess live. Say you're playing your song and you have to go to solo which is one patch up, so you have to tap up during the previous line and then "engage" by hitting the button again at the moment where the solo hits. God forbid you have to do that few patches over...

So long story short I'd suggest the LE and see if you can price some audio interfaces, I'd suggest look up the PreSonus Audiobox USB and some of the Focusrite offerings, like Focusrite iTrack Solo for example at 99 euro might be a better deal if you can swing the price difference.

Not sure what you're looking to achieve with the amp mentioned but the LE has more routing options so it should be better to use live with an amp.
Thank you very much for detailes!

How do you think if there will any difference between output sound quality in case of ST vs the LE if I directly connect one of those devices to the NightTrain AMP? Its intresting that I noticed the amp switcher on the ST (back panel can chose amp model connected to device eg Fender, Marshal, VOX) but no such switch in case of the LE. BTW will it ve possible to turn off all Cabinet emulations and use processor only as the effector (e.g add Chorus or Delay effects to the Output sound from the amp) ?

Also I understood 4-cable commutation but don't understand the contribution of the 2 cables corresponded to the FX-loop-send and FX-loop-return. I don't know what is FX-loop Is there any brief manual for dumpies?

James
Last edited by James Starlight at Sep 10, 2014,