Hi I'm new to the forum but I have a big question. I'm looking into buying a SG but I'm a college student with not the most money in the world. I saw a guy selling a Gibson SG for $400 with a repaired headstock. He doesn't know if it was professionally repaired or not but claims it is sturdy, doesn't bottom out and stays in tune. I will attach pics of the headstock. Should I take a chance? I definitely plan to play it before I buy but would this be a fair price on my end? If not what should I offer this dude? I've had good experiences with CL so I'm not worried about that just about the guitar. The link to his post:

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/4604630229.html
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg
No, you can get a used SG with no breaks for $350 (for the special/special faded)

If it is an SG Custom, I wouldn't pay more than $300. If it was repaired correct you should have no issues with it but the fact the head stock is broken makes it worth very little.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 7, 2014,
It's difficult to say how well it was repaired from photographs alone. But it doesn't look atrocious. Still being able to see the cracks in the finish from the break isn't a big deal. What would be a good idea is to take a straight edge and check that the front and back faces of the headstock are still flat.

I'd say with a repaired headstock it's an opportunity to get the guitar extremely cheaply, like $250 cheap. But again, difficult to tell when there's nothing more than grainy photographs to go off of.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 7, 2014,
$200 or less. A good used Epi SG could be had for $250ish with no issues.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Thanks for the input guys. He says he'll be Europe for a couple weeks and to get back to him then. I think just shoot him an offer of $250 considering he doesn't have a HSC and the dot inlays suggest it's a SG special.
Quote by Chutes2Narrow
Thanks for the input guys. He says he'll be Europe for a couple weeks and to get back to him then. I think just shoot him an offer of $250 considering he doesn't have a HSC and the dot inlays suggest it's a SG special.

Yeah for an SG special don't pay more than $200, you can get them in mint condition for $400.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate