e:------------------------------------------------------------
B:------------------------------------------------------------
G:------------------------------------------------------------
D:----------22222222---------------------------------------
A:----------22222222---------------------------------------
E:----------00000000---------------------------------------

I see this a lot, and I'm just wondering how you're supposed to hold your hand to mute the other strings. With "normal" power chords you use your index finger on the root to mute the rest, but since the root is open here, how do you do it with this one?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by KeizoAttacks at Sep 7, 2014,
Whatever fingers you've got available, in this case. With this shape, I'd actually just use my index to hold down on strings A and D and to mute G, B, and e.
Quote by KeizoAttacks

I see this a lot, and I'm just wondering how you're supposed to hold your hand to mute the other strings. With "normal" power chords you use your index finger on the root to mute the rest, but since the root is open here, how do you do it with this one?

Thanks in advance

Depends how you're fingering what is being fretted. Broadly it will still be whatever bit of fretting hand flesh you have spare. You can use your index finger if it's not being used for fretting, if you're fretting the second fret with it then the index finger underside will work just fine as well. If you're using the index finger and second finger then you can use the other two spare fingers.and mute in the higher frets.

Generally it's just a case of applying a little thought; the "index finger root" thing is an illustrative example more than a hard and fast rule. Any spare bit of hand will do, so long as you keep the noise down.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by KeizoAttacks

Thanks in advance

I might user my index and middle finger and with the rest mute the other strings, or just do a bar with my index.

But, you just have to play the top (or lower) three strings, probably you will need to improve your accuracy on picking strings to hit just the strings you want to play.
I'm going to add that it might matter what the next chord is. For example, if it's another power chord, it might help you to keep that index finger free, since most use their index finger for the root power chords.
for that E power chord I might use index finger...for instance if its going to be a riff like a blues shuffle etc.

or I use the middle 2 fingers and the G string is muted by the ring finger. if I am going to play it just as u typed it I wouldnt even worry too much about the e and b string since the pick isnt going to even be close to picking them

Id use the same fingering for this version also:

e:----------00000000-----------------------------------------
B:----------00000000----------------------------------------
G:----------xxxxxxxx----------------------------------------

use the middle 2 finger and the ring finger mutes the open G string
i'd just barre the A and D strings with my index and let my other fingers do the rest of the work. it leaves my other fingers to do fills or extensions if i'm so inclined, and when i go to kill the note i can just lay those three fingers over it

it's how most of the djenty guys do it, anyway