So I recently purchased a Xenyx 302.

I'm not sure if I am using it wrong, but it sounds terrible.
HUGE delay, and no effects at all.
Also, if I put the gain too high, I get this whiny pitch noise...

I am trying to find a good piece of hardware thats pretty much plug and play.
I see a few things out there that you can download presets to? such as the POD and V-AMP.

Here is what I want to do.
I want a piece of hardware that acts like a amp, that I can plug into my computer
I also want to be able to load custom presets that other people have made.

What do I need?
Will I need a MIDI cord? Or will USB work fine?

Any ideas?
Step 1 - Take the Xenyx back & get a refund.

Step 2 - Read the stickies for recommendations of good kit.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by loseallthegames
So I recently purchased a Xenyx 302.

I'm not sure if I am using it wrong, but it sounds terrible.
HUGE delay, and no effects at all.
Also, if I put the gain too high, I get this whiny pitch noise...
While it's common to the vast majority of behringer stuff to sound bad, your description sounds so bad you might actually be using it wrong.
Quote by loseallthegames
I want a piece of hardware that acts like a amp, that I can plug into my computer
I also want to be able to load custom presets that other people have made.
Are you prepared to spend $500 or more on it?
Quote by loseallthegames
What do I need?
Will I need a MIDI cord? Or will USB work fine?
First off you gotta sort out what you actually wanna do instead of chasing an idea.

Then you need to read the interfaces sticky and the amp sims sticky.

Also for audio you don't need MIDI, no.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Sounds like what you actually want is a multieffects unit that happens to have a recording output. My vote goes for the Digitech RP series, but I know Zoom does one too.
Quote by chatterbox272
Sounds like what you actually want is a multieffects unit that happens to have a recording output. My vote goes for the Digitech RP series, but I know Zoom does one too.

The Zoom is the G3/G5. That would get my vote.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
The Zoom is the G3/G5. That would get my vote.

Thanks. I'm looking into that now.

But yeah.

What I want, is something to turn my computer into an amp, which I can record on. (I will be using headphones)
Also, something that comes with a library of tones. (ex. I want to sound like jimi's star spangled, someone created a tone that mimics it, and put it in a library. I download it, load it into a piece of software, and boom. done.)
Quote by loseallthegames

But yeah.

What I want, is something to turn my computer into an amp, which I can record on. (I will be using headphones)
Also, something that comes with a library of tones. (ex. I want to sound like jimi's star spangled, someone created a tone that mimics it, and put it in a library. I download it, load it into a piece of software, and boom. done.)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=amplitube&Go=Search
Find the interface here that works with your computer (one is Mac only) and check out their software. You can buy amps and pedals a la carte, and I'm pretty sure you can share patches with other people online.

PS. There is a Jimi Hendrix expansion pack that literally has a star spangled banner patch that you can load up. Just sayin'... that is literally exactly what you asked for haha
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Sep 8, 2014,
Quote by loseallthegames

But yeah.

This being the case, read the stickies.

The Zoom I mentioned does all the amp sims etc, and also has a USB interface to hook it up to your PC. However, if recording is your main aim, you should buy equipment dedicated to that purpose. Which is all recommended in the stickies.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
You need to decide whether your main aim is a silent practice system (something that sounds like an amp that you can use headphones with) where recording is a bonus, or a recording setup where silent practice is a bonus.

A multieffect unit is quick and easy to set up, but doesn't sounds as good as the software amp sims you'd get with a recording setup. That said, if you're using recording gear you've got to go through the effort of loading all your programs and plugins every time you want to use it.
I use GR5 thru the mic-in jack sometimes for practice, sounds fine, then you can record in reaper, all free demos not pirated and no hardware needed, just a cord.
Quote by Tempoe
I use GR5 thru the mic-in jack sometimes for practice, sounds fine, then you can record in reaper, all free demos not pirated and no hardware needed, just a cord.

When your mic-in jack breaks, remember this comment.
What you want sounds pretty much exactly like a Pod UX-line product. GT, UX1 or UX2 will do exactly everything you want. You can even get some seriously decent sounding demos with it as it comes with ASIO drivers which allows faster and better audio editing in most DAW's.
Not even close. The reason we aren't screaming interface sticky (which has much better suggestions than the UX series *shudders*) is because he want's hardware control of the amp sim and plug/play (seemingly with no software).
Quote by chatterbox272
Not even close. The reason we aren't screaming interface sticky (which has much better suggestions than the UX series *shudders*) is because he want's hardware control of the amp sim and plug/play (seemingly with no software).

+1

The sticky is the answer to 90% of this sort of question, the thread seems to have moved on from that as TS seemed to like the Zoom suggestion more than what he (hopefully) read in the stickies. It depends what his main focus is - wanting to record, or wanting something playable that he can record with as well.

Kind of think this thread should be left alone until he comes back with more questions, he hasn't been back since saying he'd check out the G3/5.

But plugging direct into the mic input of a PC is never the answer.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I'm not sure guys, but I use my UX2 as 'practice amp' 90% of the time, in the exact way that OP describes. Any form of speakers or headphones he could connect to a multi-FX pedal you can connect to these interfaces.

Pod Farm is the easiest piece of software I've used so far, there are thousands of plugins and patches available on the internet, you basically have an infinite amount of tone options within Pod Farm alone and even if you don't like the amps - something I've actually gotten over, it's all a case of finding the right combinations.

Its (stock!) effects are pretty amazing. As far as I'm concerned, it's exactly what OP is asking for with the added benefit of being able to make at least listenable recordings of himself.
Last edited by Eryth at Sep 11, 2014,
^ The UX2 gets a mention in the stickies as a budget option for recording. All interfaces can be used as a way to practice, you simply don't hit the record button.

The question remains, something from the stickies for recording or a multifx that can do recording as a bonus.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud