I bought a monoprice.com "les paul"... Reviews said it's a good guitar for what is is (cheap). I learned on an acoustic and hadn't played in a few years, thought it'd be fun to get back into it with this.

A few days after I got it I packed it into my car for a cross country move, it probably sat in a hot car maybe an afternoon tops during a stop at my brothers in colorado. Pulling the guitar back out of the bag, wax (like hardened candle wax) had pooled on the underside of the body. A substantial amount, probably a half dollar sized amount of melted candle wax looking $hit. Did it come out of a pickup? Monoprice is offering an exchange but I don't know if I'd be liable for shipping... Just wondering if anyone knows what could have happened, they have no clue. There is no way I dropped anything into the bag myself... Plays fine, finish is still fine after I cleaned it up, but have never even plugged it in as I don't have an amp yet so can't say how it sounds..
I have never heard of wax being used for a guitar besides maybe the finish, which you said was fine. Maybe someone dropped some finishing/polishing wax in there by accident.
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 7, 2014,
I'd guess the wax they potted the pickups with melted. Probably cheap wax with too low of a melting temperature. Might not have any affect on the guitar or it might squeal at higher volumes.

But I'm just guessing.
Is this that cheap $139 Les Paul copy?
Moving on.....