Hi,

I'm becoming interested in a multi-effects floorboard for messing around with at home. Not really that interested in the amp modelling sounds (might VERY rarely want a slightly different high-gain amp sound), as I have a Laney IRT Studio that I'm quite happy with.

I've been thinking about a Zoom G5 for a while, but now I'm onto to the seemingly popular Boss GT 100 vs Line 6 Pod HD500X debate.

Like I said, I'm unlikely to be using amp sims much, so which unit reigns supreme in the effects department, especially with more gainy amps? Also, any idea how these units respond to bass guitar for the odd occasion I want more effects than just bass overdrive?

Thanks!
Last edited by staceap at Sep 8, 2014,
I had an hd500 and I really enjoyed it. I liked the effects a lot. Especially the delays/reverbs
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
The Gt-100 is aimed squarely at gigging musicians more than recording ones. I bought one to go with a big multi-channeled MIDI tube amp on stage and it's good for that. If I wasn't so single mindedly focused on gigging I would have bought the HD500X.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 8, 2014,
I'm a fan of the Zoom, so that would be my preference over the Line 6 or Boss.

Have you looked at the TC Nova? No personal experience, but everything I've read about it is good.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Personally, considering that you have an IRT studio, I myself would instead grab a rack mount MFX (POD HD pro would be my choice), and stick it in a 3/4 U rack case. Much simpler for transport if you want to move your gear around or gig.
Quote by GaryBillington
I'm a fan of the Zoom, so that would be my preference over the Line 6 or Boss.

Have you looked at the TC Nova? No personal experience, but everything I've read about it is good.

I had a very quick look, I was hoping for something that has the same kinda thing as the Boss' manual mode to get a bit more flexibility, not having to use only one of each category etc.
I have the Digitech RP500, so could recommend an RP1000. I like the stomp box feel of the switches
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by ambler3
Personally, considering that you have an IRT studio, I myself would instead grab a rack mount MFX (POD HD pro would be my choice), and stick it in a 3/4 U rack case. Much simpler for transport if you want to move your gear around or gig.

I have a 12U rack at home with all my gear in it. I was thinking about something like a TC G Major, but then I'd have to get a seperate controller, wouldn't I? Seems a bit easier and cheaper if I can manage to just have the one unit. I dunno, options, options!
Quote by The Judist
I have the Digitech RP500, so could recommend an RP1000. I like the stomp box feel of the switches

I briefly had an RP255, I never really got on with it for some reason. I dunno, the layout never really did it for me. I guess I just like being able to have effect controls set out like a pedal, you know?
Last edited by staceap at Sep 8, 2014,
Quote by staceap
I briefly had an RP255, I never really got on with it for some reason. I dunno, the layout never really did it for me. I guess I just like being able to have effect controls set out like a pedal, you know?

This is an RP1000. No mistaking whether you've pressed a switch or not
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by The Judist

I did have a squizz on the Digitech website at that! Hmm, I really wasn't that keen on the way the menus and everything were set up on the little unit I had, although that does look like a much more organised unit. Hmm.
Quote by The Judist

Isn't there a version of that designed to work with an iPad as well?

If TS is an iFan & has the pad, that could be a good investment for him.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Sounds like you are looking for a unit that has a loop. That would be the HD500, GT-100, and RP1000. Out of all of those the only one that has... "not having to use only one of each category etc." is the HD500. Although I would consider the GT-100 as well. The RP1000 is especially good if you want to add in stomps as it has two loops.
The GT100 doesn't do "one from each category." It's not open slather but you can get a lot happening. Download the manual and check it out.
The GT100 has arguably the easiest front panel interface which seems to matter to you. The 8 knobs under the display can be assigned to any parameter pretty much so tweaking on the fly is pretty easy if you set it up right. If you set up your patches well you can still do easy adjustments like on a stompbox. Manual mode really isn't necessary if you know what you are doing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yes, I do remember the GT-8 had two of a category for some fx. And I imagine the GT-100 could have more than that. Reading the manuals is the best suggestion for someone agonizing over a selection of multiple devices.
Look into the GSP1101+Control2 bundle, goes around for $500. With the beta firmware update it does everything the rp1000 does & then some more. Since you already have a rack, it would easier to get that or the GMajorII and run a single wire up near your feet for the controller, the amount of cable mess that you end up running trying to divide the effects between the front & after the preamp can get annoying after awhile.

With the GT100 you can have 4 delays or chorus at different settings going on at once, two modulation fx like phaser, three OD & Comp and two NS2 but not multiple different reverbs. With the HD500X you can have any number(depends on the dsp usage of the particular, the obscure ones require more) of same type of fx. I forgot how many blocks are there in total, maybe 8, when using the loop you lose one since it requires one block. These two units do not offer spill over for delay & reverb between patch changes.

I'd still consider the GMajorII & footcontroller or the GSP1101+Ctrl2, it's less messy cable wise hence less signal loss too & you get to tuck away the main unit safe in the rack. I've never found the need to use more than two delays or say two phasers without getting lost in the mix.
Last edited by steven_ferns84 at Sep 8, 2014,
Quote by steven_ferns84
Look into the GSP1101+Control2 bundle, goes around for $500. With the beta firmware update it does everything the rp1000 does & then some more. Since you already have a rack, it would easier to get that or the GMajorII and run a single wire up near your feet for the controller, the amount of cable mess that you end up running trying to divide the effects between the front & after the preamp can get annoying after awhile.

With the GT100 you can have 4 delays or chorus at different settings going on at once, two modulation fx like phaser, three OD & Comp and two NS2 but not multiple different reverbs. With the HD500X you can have any number(depends on the dsp usage of the particular, the obscure ones require more) of same type of fx. I forgot how many blocks are there in total, maybe 8, when using the loop you lose one since it requires one block. These two units do not offer spill over for delay & reverb between patch changes.

I'd still consider the GMajorII & footcontroller or the GSP1101+Ctrl2, it's less messy cable wise hence less signal loss too & you get to tuck away the main unit safe in the rack. I've never found the need to use more than two delays or say two phasers without getting lost in the mix.

G Major does look fantastic, I'll give it that. Don't know what I'm opposed to about a foot controller since I'm thinking about a big-arse board.