Hi guys. I was just wondering if some of you here in the forums have ever had a guitar that shouldn't sound the way it does. In my case I had a Olympic White American Strat that seemed like it was made from the dullest piece of wood to ever grow on this Earth. When I usually order Fender made guitars, they sound exceptional however this guitar sounded worse than one of those combo beginner guitar packs. Anyone have any experience with such things?
One night after a few too many beers I attempted to put EMG's in my epiphone SG and it has never sounded like it should. The guitar has no bite at all and no other characteristics EMG's often hold.
I'm not sure what is meant by a "dull" sounding guitar. Too quiet? Not enough high end from the pickups?
I had a MIJ Jackson Soloist 7 string.

Had it for about 12 hours.

Dead, flat, boring, bland, uninteresting, unremarkable and boring tone.

It was as if it had been made out of balso wood and playdough.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
I had a MIJ Jackson Soloist 7 string.

Had it for about 12 hours.

Dead, flat, boring, bland, uninteresting, unremarkable and boring tone.

It was as if it had been made out of balso wood and playdough.

That also including sleep time?

OT: strats in general for me, but the rest of my guitars have mid-high gain humbuckers in...
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals

Yeah... Took it home at 2000 from the studio.

Returned it to the shop the next morning at 0800.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Hadn't heard of that brand before.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
My old Westone 335 knockoff is very dark soundind, and I've never been able to figure out why. I put series/single/parallel switching on the humbuckers, which helps a lot.

I was told by a local luthier that when PRS first started making custom guitars, he would choose the pickup to suit the particular guitar, so warm guitars got bright pickups and vice versa.
Yes I have had a dull sounding guitar but it was a chibson. The worst electronics I have ever heard on a guitar EVER! I was expecting that. Gutted the hell out of of it. Poorly constructed piece of shit it was until I basically replaced everything on it. I got it for 100 dollars on CL. The action was pretty nice and the frets were all level everything else sucked.

Usually some time and effort can fix just about any problem with "dull" guitars. Its not the woods fault, but likely the electronics.
I use to have an Epi acoustic that just sat around on the couch all day and never wanted to do anything but watch the weather channel and tell stories about gardening.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
I use to have an Epi acoustic that just sat around on the couch all day and never wanted to do anything but watch the weather channel and tell stories about gardening.

hahahaha!

Sounds like my old room mate!
I just bought the cheapest Squire week ago as my first electric guitar and I think it's dull
But I suspect it's the child in me that just wants more n more
Yeah, I had a jackson like that too, cheap one with stock pups. Sometimes if it's a bolt on, you loosen all the screws and reset the neck or it could have a bad shim in there, sounds a lot better, funny I replaced the pups with EMGs and it's an excellent guitar now.
Quote by optimizeRu
I just bought the cheapest Squire week ago as my first electric guitar and I think it's dull
But I suspect it's the child in me that just wants more n more

Just an FYI, your first electric guitar ever (especially since it's likely to be REALLY cheap) will probably sound dull. But, as you get a better ear for good tone, that's ok. You'll either buy a much better guitar, or you'll find your guitar is better tone-wise than you though. Or both.
I made the decision, talked to the music store and I'll be returning my trash-gear and getting either Fender Blacktop Strat HH or Standard Strat (MIM) + Mustang II amp.

I think with this gear I will not be looking to upgrade for long time ---