Hello

I currently use the KRK RP5 monitor speakers which are the entry level speakers in the KRK range. I have used these speakers for the past 6 months whilst I have been getting into mixing my own songs.

I am looking to upgrade my monitors as i am now looking into providing a mixing service to local bands and have been looking at the Event 20/20 speakers or the Adam A5X, both of which get great reviews and work out around £500 a pair.

Does anybody have any experience with these speakers or have any other models/brands which they would recommend?

Thanks, M

Please check out my soundcloud account www.soundcloud.com/morphitis to listen to the mix of my first song.
Easy with compression, for ****'s sake.
It's alright that you wanna make your mixes sound loud, but don't do that at the expense of whatever sounds good.

Seriously, your mix is hella compressed and that's the main reason why it doesn't sound much good imo, that's also the reason why the bass drum ducks the bass guitar, which is a thing you may wanna avoid, and that's the reason why your mix sounds fairly muddy.

It also lacks a lot of high end.

Also you may wanna practice a bit more before going around offering mixing services.
But that's just me.

As for the monitors, my vote goes to the ZenPro mod'd HS8's, or the standard HS8's if you can't get a hold of the mod'd ones, or the Equator D8's.

Another couple things you may wanna consider:
is your room treated?
'cause you should definitely treat it if it isn't treated already.
Do you have a good DAC/audio interface?
'cause you should definitely get one if you don't have one already.

Also you may wanna ask in the recording forum, you're gonna get more help there.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Hi, thanks for your feedback and monitor suggestions.

I'd be happy for any advice on compression techniques for future mixes.
Quote by Morphitis
I'd be happy for any advice on compression techniques for future mixes.
Leave the ratio lower and possibly the threshold higher.
I'm not kidding.

Also try and avoid brickwall limiters unless you're going for a particular effect.
It's common to squash the shit out of drum overheads, so you may wanna do that, but applying a brickwall limiter (or a strong compressor) on the master bus, or most of the other things really, tends to yield better results.
Though not louder, but louder's not necessarily better.

More seriously...
I reckon you did apply strong compression or limiting to the master bus.
Nest time, try to use a gentle (6dB of compression are a lot for a master bus) compressor leaving most of the bass (140Hz to 200Hz) out of the sidechain, that'll help you get a less muddy sound, a more dynamic result, and a lot more dynamic feel.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
You may have heard of the term 'bit-perfect'. Without heavily going into the details it is important to adjust your playback volume of your monitors (speaker or headphones) using an analogue fader, not a digital one. This means your soundcard channel volumes (if the card has a software mixer) all have to be set at 0dB. This will prevent bit-level degradation to the sound.
Moved to correct forum.

Out of those two - I'd go with the Adams, but I find anything smaller than the A7Xs to be too anemic in the low end, and even then, I wasn't really impressed with those speakers. They seem to get a lot of love out there, but I don't really understand why - for the price they cost, I feel like they're extremely overrated Don't get me wrong, they sound good, but so do several other monitors at half the cost. The A7Xs lie in a range where there's little to be gained over the competition in the range "below" it IMO - the money would be better spent saving more and getting a pair of monitors that will really be an upgrade, but maybe that's just me.

I'll give a +1 to the monitors Luca mentioned. I love my HS8s - I've never tried the Equators in question, but have worked in a pro studio a few times that has Q10s, Q12s and a pair of D5s, and they're all very nice sounding speakers. Coaxial speakers are really cool. FWIW, I downgraded from top-of-the-line Adams (S2As) to my Yamahas and my mixes instantly became better. Maybe I'm just not a fan of the super-extended Adam high end

I will also suggest you treat your room, if you haven't already. Upgrading monitors isn't going to much good if your room can't reproduce the frequencies accurately.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Thanks for your suggestions, I think I'll take your advice and save for abit and invest in a full upgrade rather than moving one or two pegs so to speak. I'll also look into properly treating my room before considering any expensive monitors.

What characteristics and response of the HS8's is it that you make them better to use for mixing over their competitors in your experience
If you treat your room and spend lots of time with RP5s, then you'll be better off than brand new fancy monitors in an untreated room for sure.

I've had RP5s for about 3 years now, in a heavily treated room, and I get amazing mixes that translate easily every time. It's all about the time spent with monitors getting to know them, and how they react to different types of music. Because I've used my monitors and headphones for so long, in a treated room, I am able to knock out basic mixes with minimal back-and-forth tests on different systems.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite