Page 1 of 6
I was just listening to some Buddy Holly and artists from the 50's and 60's and realized that compared to today's music its so much better. The lyrical content and overall sound and musicianship is amazing. What happened to that? It really makes me feel that I was born 50 years too late. Anyone else agree or disagree?
Quote by reverb66
There's plenty of great music out there today, you have to dig a little.

This. But if you can't find it, you should make it yourself.
I disagree.

You have to take into account that today we have a bigger market for music than ever before, meaning that we got lots of artists within different styles and genres. When you say "today's music", you mean that all the music in the 50's and 60's are much better than ALL the pop music we have now, ALL the blues, ALL the jazz, ALL the rock, ALL the blues etc etc. That is what i disagree with.

Now i am primarily a jazz guy, and most of my inspiration comes from the bebop era that started in the 40's. Now of course i would of liked to go and see gigs with Charlie Parker playing, or hearing Charlie Christian play and so on. But since i am lucky that those artists were recorded, both live and in studio, i love living in these times, cause we have LOADS of great music from all different styles that didn't even exist in the 50's and 60's.

Now i love music like Elvis, Gene Vincent, Johnny Cash, Little Richard and Chuck Berry. But i don't see it as music has gotten worse, we still have that music around, we have just gotten more music. So apart from not seeing cats like Charlie Parker, i can't complain. At least from now on there will always be recorded video of almost every artist out there, so even the newer generations can see them play.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by strat-O-matic92
I was just listening to some Buddy Holly and artists from the 50's and 60's and realized that compared to today's music its so much better. The lyrical content and overall sound and musicianship is amazing. What happened to that? It really makes me feel that I was born 50 years too late. Anyone else agree or disagree?

Technology allowed everyone to create music. Now the average dufus can't tell the difference between soulfoul music and soulless music, especially young kids and teens. They have "mainstream" garbage shoved down their throats and then when that becomes stale they hop to the next "big" thing.

They have their music chosen for them. Back in the day, you HAD to be good so you could sell out LIVE shows...local bands promoting original music are completely strapped these days.
alphadark.com
Get a free eBook for beginners.

Concertear.com
Don't be a fool, protect your hearing for life.
I blame obama
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by strat-O-matic92

Here's the secret: There is no golden age of music, yeah Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, etc. were awesome, but there is always good music surrounded by a tidal wave of shit. We only remember the good stuff, because the shit doesn't make it for too long and eventually is forgotten.
Quote by TheRiz
Technology allowed everyone to create music. Now the average dufus can't tell the difference between soulfoul music and soulless music, especially young kids and teens. They have "mainstream" garbage shoved down their throats and then when that becomes stale they hop to the next "big" thing.

I guess you've never heard of Motown Records...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motown

The whole concept behind Motown Records was "manufactured music", meaning music that made money. It just happened that Motown's style of R&B was also "soulful". Modern music producers (including the modern version of Motown Records) just took the concepts from Motown Records and kept applying them, because the concepts still work.
I believe that some music today is purely unoriginal, tasteless, and expressionless. To call it music requires a lot of mental work on my part. However, to say it is not music requires fairly little work. I am not giving examples.

"In fact, I resent 'American Idol' for producing music with the sole purpose of having millions of consumers like it, rather than [producing music] as an art form where people actually have something to express." - Levni Yilmaz
Quote by TheRiz

They have their music chosen for them. Back in the day, you HAD to be good so you could sell out LIVE shows...local bands promoting original music are completely strapped these days.

please define 'soulful music' and show how it is different from 'soulless music'.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Soul - music created by the musician, on the spot, usually by manipulating strings, wind instruments, drums, etc. Includes flaws. Nearly impossible to recreate masterful work (Gilmour, Hendrix) etc. due to their original technique. "Feeling" is the large part of soul, found in the resulting sound. Improvisational skill and X-factor chemistry with other musicians.

Soulless - using a laptop to create music/beats. Autotuning to achieve "perfection." Inability to replicate your sound live due to "overoptimizing" in the studio. Lip syncing. Etc. etc....

Extremely difficult to define...you either know it or you don't.
alphadark.com

Concertear.com
Quote by Will Lane
I believe that some music today is purely unoriginal, tasteless, and expressionless. To call it music requires a lot of mental work on my part. However, to say it is not music requires fairly little work. I am not giving examples.

Attitudes like this are just as shallow as the idea of manufactured music...

Who are you to say what "isn't music"?
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I guess you've never heard of Motown Records...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motown

The whole concept behind Motown Records was "manufactured music", meaning music that made money. It just happened that Motown's style of R&B was also "soulful". Modern music producers (including the modern version of Motown Records) just took the concepts from Motown Records and kept applying them, because the concepts still work.

Sure, but now any fool can create a track, upload it to Youtube or Soundcloud and spread it all over the world in minutes. There is so much out there now it's nigh impossible to sift through the shit as one other commenter pointed out.
alphadark.com

Concertear.com
Quote by TheRiz
Soul - music created by the musician, on the spot, usually by manipulating strings, wind instruments, drums, etc. Includes flaws. Nearly impossible to recreate masterful work (Gilmour, Hendrix) etc. due to their original technique. "Feeling" is the large part of soul, found in the resulting sound. Improvisational skill and X-factor chemistry with other musicians.

Soulless - using a laptop to create music/beats. Autotuning to achieve "perfection." Inability to replicate your sound live due to "overoptimizing" in the studio. Lip syncing. Etc. etc....

do you posit that you know it?
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Attitudes like this are just as shallow as the idea of manufactured music...

Who are you to say what "isn't music"?

Someone once said, maybe Louis Armstrong...not sure...

"If you don't know why it rocks...you never will."
alphadark.com

Concertear.com
Quote by TheRiz
Sure, but now any fool can create a track, upload it to Youtube or Soundcloud and spread it all over the world in minutes. There is so much out there now it's nigh impossible to sift through the shit as one other commenter pointed out.

And? That's the beauty of it.

Also, what is and isn't "shit" is subjective.

Quote by TheRiz
Someone once said, maybe Louis Armstrong...not sure...

"If you don't know why it rocks...you never will."

Which is a non-answer. Thanks.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 8, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
And? That's the beauty of it.

Also, what is and isn't "shit" is subjective.

Which is a non-answer. Thanks.

What's the difference between smashing together 2 pots together and a Beatles song?
alphadark.com

Concertear.com
Quote by TheRiz
What's the difference between smashing together 2 pots together and a Beatles song?

Your attitude is absolutely horrible.

Edit:
If you're not going to start taking an objective outlook here, then this discussion is pointless.
Quote by TheRiz

There's so much wrong in this post, that I really don't know where to begin.

First of all, I wouldn't have a problem with your arbitrary and pointless definitions of 'soul' if it weren't for the fact that you're equating 'soulful' music with 'good' music, and 'soulless' music with 'bad' music.

My second problem is that you are alienating the vast majority of music. You're basically saying "good music is jazz and blues based guitar music" which is saying "the only good music is this small sixty year section of history, in this one particular part of the world, in this one particular culture".

Your definition of 'soulful' music is just so limiting. And so subjective. And so crap.

Quote by TheRiz

the sound that's made
Quote by Baby Joel

First of all, I wouldn't have a problem with your arbitrary and pointless definitions of 'soul' if it weren't for the fact that you're equating 'soulful' music with 'good' music, and 'soulless' music with 'bad' music.

This discussion is fantasically entertaining.

David Gilmour - Soul of a dragon

Tiesto - Soul of a toaster

Why do people still read Shakespeare hundreds of years later?

Quote by Baby Joel

the sound that's made

Music is sound, by definition. Can one sound be more pleasing, or "soulful," than another?
alphadark.com

Concertear.com
Quote by TheRiz
This discussion is fantasically entertaining.

David Gilmour - Soul of a dragon

Tiesto - Soul of a toaster

Why do people still read Shakespeare hundreds of years later?

Because Shakespeare has historical significance? And because some people just like Shakespeare?
Why do people listen to Handel's Messiah (or literally any pre-Romantic era music) hundreds of years later? By your definition, it's soulless cause there's no improvisation, and it can be perfectly replicated, and it is virtually flawless.

Your problem (well, one of many) is that you are dismissing a way of composing music simply because it you don't like the music it produces. You don't emotionally respond to it, so you think it is invalid. That is flawed.

And this discussion is not entertaining, because your narrow views of what 'music' is are so dull.

Music is sound, by definition. Can one sound be more pleasing, or "soulful," then another?
no. That's my point.
Quote by Eastwinn
do you posit that you know it?

waiting.
Quote by Baby Joel

My second problem is that you are alienating the vast majority of music. You're basically saying "good music is jazz and blues based guitar music" which is saying "the only good music is this small sixty year section of history, in this one particular part of the world, in this one particular culture".

Your definition of 'soulful' music is just so limiting. And so subjective. And so crap.

+∞. The problem here is that TS seems to be assuming that the only bands around in the 50s and 60s were the ones that everyone remembers. There was some good stuff, and there was a lot of crap. The same goes today. There's a lot of good stuff out there, and there's a lot of crap out there. The subjectivity of music makes it impossible to define, how you say, "good" music or "bad" music.

Music is sound, by definition. Can one sound be more pleasing, or "soulful," than another?

Some sounds are more pleasing to the ears than others, but that is not make them equitable to being more "soulful". "Soulful" does not equal "good" and "soulless" does not equal "bad". Music by definition is soulless, since it's just a bunch of noise that sounds good to the ears.
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
Last edited by SexyBeast810 at Sep 8, 2014,
Quote by Eastwinn
waiting.

Yes.
alphadark.com

Concertear.com
Quote by Baby Joel
By your definition, it's soulless cause there's no improvisation, and it can be perfectly replicated, and it is virtually flawless.

No, these are indicators, not rules.

Someone else please describe the word "soul" in context with music, as to add some more diversity here.

Should the word's association with music be completely dimissed from usage forever?
alphadark.com

Concertear.com
Good music is good music. People have been saying the music of the past is better since the second human banged two rocks together and everyone talked about how little soul the new caveman band has.

I think a real music lover can tell if a song is good even if they don't particularly like the band, song or style.

I like the current rise in the number of people producing and publishing their own stuff. It reenforces the idea that music is one of the highest and most important forms of art ever created by the human race. We can see a definite turning of the tide where a really good band doesn't necessarily have to see their souls to become famous.

I, like many of the members of this forum like a very diverse range of music and love finding new music to listen to.
Quote by TheRiz
No, these are indicators, not rules.
Well then please tell me what the rules you. I thought you already had, but apparently those were just indications. What are the 'rules' of 'soulful music'?

After you've answered that question, think about this one: Why does music need rules?

Someone else please describe the word "soul" in context with music, as to add some more diversity here.

It doesn't have a definition in context of music.

Should the word's association with music be completely dimissed from usage forever?

Yes.
Quote by Eastwinn
what do you think of this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETVwuOv69R0

I just listened in full.

Interesting, as far as art goes. Unique & Original. Metaphorical...would like to hear it live for the full "effect."

however

Painfully bland. Repetitive and more like spoken word rather than music. Very low on the "soul meter."

How about this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oTEQf1d9Iw&safe=active
alphadark.com

Concertear.com
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Wut? The music that people are producing now is better than it's ever been.

yep

music has gotten pretty consistently better over time
Quote by TheRiz

Painfully bland. Repetitive and more like spoken word rather than music. Very low on the "soul meter."

Did you just call hip-hop 'spoken word'

Yea lets listen to iron maiden for soul

LOL
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by TheRiz
I just listened in full.

Interesting, as far as art goes. Unique & Original. Metaphorical...would like to hear it live for the full "effect."

however

How about this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oTEQf1d9Iw&safe=active

unique and original? would it change your mind if i said that whole song was built on samples?

i am listening to the song you posted. first, the guy pronounced "aegean" wrong. the word contains my name so it matters. i can't help but find this song painfully bland. maybe our music tastes differ slightly? or i suppose you know it and i don't. if we consider lyrics, this song is trite in comparison.

maybe we can agree on this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81mkW-vhPBo
Quote by Baby Joel
Did you just call hip-hop 'spoken word'

alphadark.com

Concertear.com