Page 2 of 6
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
This thread is garbage.

it was until i posted tribe :')
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Baby Joel
Did you just call hip-hop 'spoken word'

The ultimate irony is how much soul influence there is in that track.

EDIT: Lol, yep Kool & The Gang sample confirmed.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Sep 8, 2014,
Quote by TheRiz

Instead of just laughing at me laughing at you (unless you're laughing with me laughing at you, keep doing that), maybe you can actually defend your point of view, by addressing this post?
Quote by Baby Joel
Well then please tell me what the rules you. I thought you already had, but apparently those were just indications. What are the 'rules' of 'soulful music'?

After you've answered that question, think about this one: Why does music need rules?

It doesn't have a definition in context of music.

Yes.

thanks.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
The ultimate irony is how much soul influence there is in that track.

EDIT: Lol, yep Kool & The Gang sample confirmed.

yep. Tribe Called Quest is probably one of the most 'soulful' rap groups. But apparently it's not. Apparently it's just repetitive spoken word.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by Eastwinn
unique and original? would it change your mind if i said that whole song was built on samples?

Being unique and original does not necessarily mean "good." Even soulless "music" is unique.

No, as when I described it as bland and repetitive that covered it. Notice how the song focuses nearly entirely on a beat. Guitars, harps, sitars, flutes, violins more powerfully influence emotion due to the dynamics available to the human ear.

Quote by Eastwinn

i am listening to the song you posted. first, the guy pronounced "aegean" wrong.
the word contains my name so it matters. i can't help but find this song painfully bland.

Sure, pronounciation matters - but minimally toward "soul" of course. Notice the dynamic range and powerfully soulful interlude, or did you not make it that far

Quote by Eastwinn

maybe our music tastes differ slightly? or i suppose you know it and i don't. if we consider lyrics, this song is trite in comparison.
maybe we can agree on this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81mkW-vhPBo

This is an improvement musically over the last one. I dig it. Not nearly as dynamic as Alexander the Great. Again, would like to hear it live. Seems to me it would get somewhat stale after a few minutes, but I cannot comment on that.
alphadark.com
Get a free eBook for beginners.

Concertear.com
Don't be a fool, protect your hearing for life.
Quote by jimihendrix6699
Yea lets listen to iron maiden for soul

LOL

Ah, the classic "I didn't listen to it." comment.
alphadark.com

Concertear.com
alphadark.com

Concertear.com
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
This is what happens when people learn theory.

I'm pretty shit with theory.

Feeling, well, that's different.
alphadark.com

Concertear.com
Quote by TheRiz
I'm pretty shit with theory.

Feeling, well, that's different.

oh wow

you say this as if feeling is somehow quantifiable, or prescriptive, or even a thing.
alphadark.com

Concertear.com
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Wut? The music that people are producing now is better than it's ever been.

Who? What? Where? When? How?

I musta missed it.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
This is what happens when people learn theory.

fuck

new favorite user
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Jehannum
Who? What? Where? When? How?

I musta missed it.

Aren't you that guy who still think "Loudness Wars" is a thing?
Quote by TheRiz
This discussion is fantasically entertaining.

David Gilmour - Soul of a dragon

Tiesto - Soul of a toaster

You do know there's more to electronic music than just people like Tiesto right? You can't compare Tiesto to Gilmour. Tiesto to one of the members of Kiss would be a better comparison since he only cares about money and staying relevant, not the artistic merit of music.

What about this side of electronic music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvoQOAWiPow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W-epjHQDZs

Or even this which is house music but still has soul behind it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHaxtbxXqIo
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Really enjoyed the Blockhead song...great album cover too. My favorite part is the vocal style.

I cringe at the idea of "electronic music." The name itself almost implies fakeness, but I may be in the minority there.

See, my other issue is, I want to hear this stuff live, in a room full of people. I just can't imagine a guy standing behind a DJ booth or laptop can produce the same raw emotion as a guy with a guitar, or violin for example.

However, again, I cannot comment as I have never been. Perhaps it is time.
alphadark.com

Concertear.com
Last edited by TheRiz at Sep 8, 2014,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I change my answer to this.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TheRiz

See, my other issue is, I want to hear this stuff live, in a room full of people. I just can't imagine a guy standing behind a DJ booth or laptop can produce the same raw emotion as a guy with a guitar, or violin for example.

Why does everything have to be seen live?

You rubes are straight jivin'
Quote by TheRiz

I cringe at the idea of "electronic music." The name itself almost implies fakeness, but I may be in the minority there.

I cringe at the idea of 'electric guitar'. The name itself almost implies fakeness, but I may be in the minority there.

You still haven't responded to my earlier posts, which implies that you don't know how to.
Quote by Baby Joel
I cringe at the idea of 'electric guitar'. The name itself almost implies fakeness, but I may be in the minority there.

You still haven't responded to my earlier posts, which implies that you don't know how to.

The plucking, strumming, and bending of strings maintains its human element through vibration, whether plugged in or not. If you place it on the rack, it ceases to play.

Can someone versed in electronic music explain how one creates said music?

Can you walk away from the device...yet it still plays itself?

May I ask which posts?
alphadark.com

Concertear.com
Quote by MapOfYourHead
Why does everything have to be seen live?

You rubes are straight jivin'

It's further confirmation of someone's talent or creativity. You can't hide behind a recording. It forces you to either reproduce it (never perfectly, a good thing), or fake it.
alphadark.com

Concertear.com
Quote by JelloCrust
Here's the secret: There is no golden age of music, yeah Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, etc. were awesome, but there is always good music surrounded by a tidal wave of shit. We only remember the good stuff, because the shit doesn't make it for too long and eventually is forgotten.
^This
Si
Quote by TheRiz
It's further confirmation of someone's talent or creativity. You can't hide behind a recording. It forces you to either reproduce it (never perfectly, a good thing), or fake it.

Do composers who write for others have less talent or creativity than the people who play it?

Quote by TheRiz

You compose it. Program it. Produce it.

You can walk away from some devices and leave it playing, much like you can stick a guitar infront of an amp and let it feedback forever.

Is it only music if musicians play it?

Not music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M8sIzLNVT0

Music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrxCiWpG5wc
Quote by TheRiz

The plucking, strumming, and bending of strings maintains its human element through vibration, whether plugged in or not. If you place it on the rack, it ceases to play.

So here's what I see the problem being. You seem the equate that music needs to maintain some sort of 'physical' connection to the composer. The reason why that's flawed is because music comes from the mind, not from the fingers. It shouldn't matter if if I'm touching the instrument of not. The music is still music regardless of how it's been produced.

May I ask which posts?

this one. It's not like the best post ever, I just found it strange that you didn't address it. You might've just overlooked it though.

Quote by TheRiz

I don't see why it's relevant. It shows they can't fake the ability to play their music, but it has nothing to do with the value of the music they've created.
I think everything should be seen live (if possible) just because it makes for a different experience.
Quote by 20Tigers
^This

Agreed. More like a tsunami and a hurricane and Godzilla.
alphadark.com

Concertear.com
Quote by TheRiz

May I ask which posts?

I guess composers must be all fake then, since 90% of them can't play ALL the instruments they are composing for. So...Mozart's a hack, guitar players who write bass/drum parts are hacks, jazz ensemble composers are hacks. ETC.

See the problem with your logic yet?
Whether someone plays the piece with real instruments or not isn't a huge deal to me. Sure it adds a humane factor to it and it sounds a bit more natural, but that's it. I can still enjoy the composition if it's good. Virtual instruments or real instruments. Sampled real instruments or completely synthetic instruments. I listen to a lot of soundtrack music and 95% of that is virtual orchestra.

And lol, what crazysam said.
Last edited by Elintasokas at Sep 8, 2014,
Quote by TheRiz
Ah, the classic "I didn't listen to it." comment.

I used to listed to maiden all the time

Used to
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by TheRiz
What's the difference between smashing together 2 pots together and a Beatles song?

"Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by Baby Joel
So here's what I see the problem being. You seem the equate that music needs to maintain some sort of 'physical' connection to the composer. The reason why that's flawed is because music comes from the mind, not from the fingers.

Fingers are connected to the mind.

Quote by Baby Joel

this one. It's not like the best post ever, I just found it strange that you didn't address it. You might've just overlooked it though.

There aren't really "rules" would be my only answer. It's the human feeling. You either understand feeling, or you don't. Some great chefs say that the right taste is only "known." It's a feel. You can give someone the exact recipe, but they may not have the execution.

Quote by Baby Joel

I don't see why it's relevant. It shows they can't fake the ability to play their music, but it has nothing to do with the value of the music they've created.
I think everything should be seen live (if possible) just because it makes for a different experience.

Not sure I understand this - you're saying you would be OK with someone "faking" it on stage? Wouldn't that specifically devalue it immediately?

Quote by crazysam23_Atax

I guess composers must be all fake then, since 90% of them can't play ALL the instruments they are composing for. So...Mozart's a hack, guitar players who write bass/drum parts are hacks, jazz ensemble composers are hacks. ETC.

See the problem with your logic yet?

Someone must INTERPRET what they wrote, and then their genius is CONFIRMED once it is played. Music ultimately can in some way be communicated on paper. However only the person who created it would know if the intended sound rings true, and they can certainly have tremendous talent at recognizing and creating said truth.
alphadark.com

Concertear.com
Quote by Elintasokas
Whether someone plays the piece with real instruments or not isn't a huge deal to me. Sure it adds a humane factor to it and it sounds a bit more natural, but that's it. I can still enjoy the composition if it's good. Virtual instruments or real instruments. Sampled real instruments or completely synthetic instruments. I listen to a lot of soundtrack music and 95% of that is virtual orchestra.

And lol, what crazysam said.

Listen, I enjoyed some of the electronic stuff posted. I would like to see it live, and I believe it lacks some human element compared to many famous musicians, for example. That's it really.
alphadark.com

Concertear.com
Quote by TheRiz
Fingers are connected to the mind.

so is the penis. If you're not using your penis to play music, your music is soulless.

There aren't really "rules" would be my only answer. It's the human feeling. You either understand feeling, or you don't. Some great chefs say that the right taste is only "known." It's a feel. You can give someone the exact recipe, but they may not have the execution.

If there are no rules, then how can you objectify it?

Not sure I understand this - you're saying you would be OK with someone "faking" it on stage? Wouldn't that specifically devalue it immediately?
I'd devalue the performance, not the music.
Quote by TheRiz
Someone must INTERPRET what they wrote, and then their genius is CONFIRMED once it is played. Music ultimately can in some way be communicated on paper. However only the person who created it would know if the intended sound rings true, and they can certainly have tremendous talent at recognizing and creating said truth.
So, the fact that the computer does the interpretation/playing for the electronic composer somehow makes their music less valid?
Look guys you either know what feelings are or you dont its okay if you dont though
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
So, the fact that the computer does the interpretation/playing for the electronic composer somehow makes their music less valid?

I agree with Sam here. Why does it make the composition less valid? I don't get it.

It's still the same notes and you can even have the dynamics and humanize it to sound pretty much exactly the same if you put in enough effort. Sometimes people want an artificial sound on purpose. Why do you think some people still make Nintendo 8bit/16 bit esque music?
Last edited by Elintasokas at Sep 8, 2014,
Why must a composer always be an a player of their own music for its validity? Would Thomas Tallis' hypothetical performance of 'Spem in Alium' with his voice and a lute/theorbo/guitar have comparable effect and affect as that of a performance of the same with the full eight written choirs?

What of a static recording of, say, Arturo Benedetti Michaelangeli performing a Debussy prelude? The recording is static, which is to say that the physical information of the recording, be it in vinyl or bits, is unchanging and petrified: is this performance less valid than that of a piece of software intended to stochastically render performance aspects of the prelude based on analysis and reconstitution of Michaelangeli's style and mannerisms? The same question might be asked of a recording of David Gilmour or Hendrix. Is there a difference between a painting and a picture of a painting in terms of validity, soul, et cetera?

Why is an intervening 'human' aspect necessary for a piece of art or music? Consider the publication of untreated and unedited field recordings of wind sound or car alarms: are these invalid as art or incapable of containing 'soul'? If it were not a published recording but rather just pressure waves in air caused by car alarms or a cave swallow flying into a rock face, what would prevent a similar occurrence of 'soul' in such a case?
You might could use some double modals.
Quote by TheRiz

Not all electronic artists only DJ.

But that aside you have to look at electronic stuff as a different type of performance.

When you see a band play music they perform one song, stop, then perform another and so on. You go to watch them perform individual songs.

When you go to see an electronic artist perform it isn't about watching them perform individual songs. Its about them taking individual songs and pushing them together into one big fluid hour or two long composition. You go to listen to them weave a story where Song A flows into Song B and then that into Song C all without you being able to tell when one starts or stops. Its a different type of performance.

Quote by TheRiz

Now I'm grossly over generalizing here but the most common instrument you will ever see used in electronic music production is a synthesizer. I'd wager >80% of sounds you have heard in electronic music have been made with a synthesizer.

So as to answer if you can walk away from the device and watch it play itself...if you're familiar with the concept of a piano you should be able to answer that yourself.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ