I don't have a bass guitar, now I put the midi file of bass guitar on the bass track, then I load the broomstick bass, which terrible sound, therefore I load amplitubes bass VST, but I can't get the real sound...is there some other method to get a real bass sound? Some other VST? or some tutorial for bass guitar with MIDI files?
I've had good luck with the bass samples in kontakt, but I only used those a few times when I had no other option, I play my real bass nowadays.

Oh, also, sometimes you don't need all of the millions of parts of the amplitube patch. Try taking out all of the rack effects at the end, and then try setting the amp head to a fairly clean and flat sound and see if that helps. Amplitube presents are generally terrible. You may not even need the head at all depending on the samples. I know that when I go DI with my bass, I only use cab impulses mixed at 50/50 with dry signal and that sounds best to me.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Sep 8, 2014,
You may wanna get better bass samples.

You can google "free electric bass samples" or similar and see what you find.
Or, on the cheap, wavesfactory's fab bass is pretty nice imo.

Also what Scott said, but especially better bass samples.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
There's lot of free good quality bass samples.

Alternatively, you could buy a cheap (but good quality) bass used.
You could try better bass vsti's (Zombass has a free one that's supposed to be good). I would never advocate buying a bass vsti if you're a guitarist though, cheap basses can be picked up for the cost of most decent bass vsti's and even the shittest of basses will sound better than a vsti. You can also try playing basslines on guitar and using a plugin to drop it an octave.
Thank you guys!

But where should I load these WAV samples? I add the midi file in bass track, and what after?

About the costs...I don't buy a VST or VSTi, I downloaded it from torrent sites.

Ive try playing bass on my e-guitar with cutting high freqs, it's still work, but only on 6th string, when I play something on 5th string, then is a huge difference in deepness of sound.

What do you think about Orangetree - cherry electric bass?
Quote by venndi88
But where should I load these WAV samples?
Whatever sampler of your choice.
Kontakt is a sampler.
Quote by venndi88
About the costs...I don't buy a VST or VSTi, I downloaded it from torrent sites.
Mentioning that would be against the rules y' know...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
And which samples you recommend for metal? Cherry electric bass, prominy SR5, Scarbee mm?
Is trillian really the king of bass VSTi'? Better than these what have I mentioned?
Last edited by venndi88 at Sep 9, 2014,
I have been using midi bass samples for many years and some are excellent but about a year ago I just got frustrated by how much time and effort I was spending trying to get the right feel and punch for a bass track. It wasn't a matter of sound (the samples were great) but getting a live feel on bass is hard to do using a keyboard. One day in frustration I picked up one the guitars I don't play much and ran over to my local Guitar Center and traded it for an Epiphone EBO bass. Now I get the feel and timing I want and it takes a fraction of the time to record my bass track. I love my midi stuff but some things need a real instrument to get the right feel.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Sep 9, 2014,
As far as I'm concerned, to get proper low-end in a mix, recording the bass tracks on your guitar and then shifting it an octave down (make sure you do this at the beginning of your FX loop) is the way to go. You won't get crazy funky slap tones but you WILL get the low-end that the bass is supposed to give.
It's a wrong thread I know, but I won't start a new thread...so if I maybe buy a bass guitar, what would be your suggestion? I found some used bass guitars.
There is a LTD B-50, Ibanez SDGR 300 and Peavey Grind 4, which would be your choice. Ill use for metal.
Quote by venndi88
It's a wrong thread I know, but I won't start a new thread...so if I maybe buy a bass guitar, what would be your suggestion? I found some used bass guitars.
There is a LTD B-50, Ibanez SDGR 300 and Peavey Grind 4, which would be your choice. Ill use for metal.

Personally, I'm a fan of Peavey basses.

But, if you want more opinions, ask The Bass Forum.

Quote by mp8andrade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLK-1Q4qzwc

Won't work if you don't have a guitar, of course.

This almost always sounds terrible. It's much better to use a good quality VSTi or an actual bass. (The latter being the better option, of course.)
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 9, 2014,
Quote by venndi88

The low end Ibanez basses generally always outperform the other basses in their range, at least in my experience. Like with guitars, cheap MIM Fenders are plentiful and affordable as well. Don't buy anything Epiphone, their basses are super muddy and generally a bit shoddy (unlike their guitar counterparts).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by venndi88

The LTD and Ibanez are both solid instruments, I've played both and don't know which I'd pick tbh, but they're both more than adequate. I've never tried the Peavey but I've heard good things about them. Don't shy away from Squier's either, their basses don't have the same bad rep that a lot of the guitars do (I'd take a Vintage Modified Squier over a MIM Fender any day).
Quote by mp8andrade
Won't work if you don't have a guitar, of course.
Apart from sounding bad, that would add a shitton of latency.

If yo're on the right side of the pond, I suggest a harley benton HBZ bass.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola