So guys, I'm going to give it a chance and I'm trying to enter to the music conservatory next year, I know it's hard but I have 6 months to practice.

Basically I just need to pass a sight-reading test but I'm totally lost in the subject, I need your help to name me some books or websites to start practicing sight-reading ! :_

Sorry if my english is bad >.< have a nice day !
Intervallic reading. Instead of always looking at the notes like "okay, that's a B....that's a C" learn to spot intervals and arpeggio patterns, etc. A lot of songs follow the same patterns you will learn to recognize. Like often you see a 1-5-8-9-10 arpeggio accompaniment pattern in piano songs and stuff.

Melodies are usually fairly easy to read, because melodies don't GENERALLY have many jumps. A lot of it is just running up and down the scale with a jump here and there. As long as you remember where the accidentals are in the scale/key signature, simple melodies should be fairly easy to sight read. Sometimes melodies are just arpeggiated chords.

I'm not yet very good at sight reading myself, but this seems to be the way to go.
Last edited by Elintasokas at Sep 8, 2014,
Quote by ismael.olivera.
So guys, I'm going to give it a chance and I'm trying to enter to the music conservatory next year, I know it's hard but I have 6 months to practice.

Basically I just need to pass a sight-reading test but I'm totally lost in the subject, I need your help to name me some books or websites to start practicing sight-reading ! :_

Sorry if my english is bad >.< have a nice day !

Music Reading for Guitar - David Oakes, MI Press.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
Music Reading for Guitar - David Oakes, MI Press.

Best,

Sean

Thanks man ! Gonna give it a try !
Keep reading all the time and don't get discouraged. Sight reading is like trying to knock over a mountain with a chisel; you won't ever be "good" at it until you are a master.

Try to finger everything in the middle of the guitar, and stay in position at first; you need to train yourself to find the notes without looking. Don't try and read all over the fretboard. Inch by inch.

There is no "way" or "technique" or "tips" for reading. You just have to screw it up one million times first.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp