I bought a "new" Gibson Classic Lemonburst from my local guitar shop a few days ago. I spent a fair amount of time looking over every inch of the guitar before I bought it. I got the impression that the guys at the shop were kind of eyeballing me like I was crazy for inspecting it like I was, but hey, that kind of money I expect it to be perfect.

Well, I brought it home and discovered a small chip in the headstock that I didn't see in the store.

It's already been 5 days so I'm assuming they would just tell me we have no way to know that you didn't do it.

Don't know what to do. Just live with it or make a big stink...

The owner did lower the price to $1499 US dollars

Marshall DSL 40C
Gibson Les Paul Classic Lemonburst 2014
ENGL Fireball 60
Peavey 5150 412 Straight
CRATE Blue Voodoo BV120HB
CRATE GT412SL 4x12 Cab
Peavey Vypyr 15
Schecter C1-Elite w/Duncan Distortions
Nice guitar..............If you plan to play it every day and take it to rehersals and gigs, the chances are you will get a few dings and chips......Play the hell out of it...

Turn it up loud, it's a friggin Les Paul!!!!
That's a beautiful guitar. I wouldn't worry about it, especially if everything else on the guitar is fine and you're happy with it as a player. That's just me though, I like guitars with character. My Mustang is still dead mint and it makes me kinda apprehensive with it, that'll subside once I put a few character marks on it, maybe I'm weird.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
That's a sweet guitar. Honestly, I wouldn't let small finish imperfections like that bother me. You could well have done that damage without you realizing it. But it's no big deal. Chips and dings are inevitable with guitars.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I don't know, a chip like that and the whole guitar could be broken.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
There's nothing you can do in this case regarding getting it back to the store. If you didn't notice in the store, they can't assume that it was that way before you bought it.

All that aside, you shouldn't worry about it, in my opinion. It's not a collectors piece and no one will fuss over a little wear should you want to sell it.
Definitely not worth going to the hassle to return it and kick up a fuss. As others have said, dings and chips are completely inevitable.

More than likely you'll go through the whole ordeal, get a new one, and within minutes of taking it out at home you'll smack it against something. Murphy's law.
Quote by shiggityswah
Definitely not worth going to the hassle to return it and kick up a fuss. As others have said, dings and chips are completely inevitable.

More than likely you'll go through the whole ordeal, get a new one, and within minutes of taking it out at home you'll smack it against something. Murphy's law.

Haha, amen brother. I absolutely love the way it plays which is the most important thing. The overdrive switch is awesome on this baby. Best in the collection so far.
Marshall DSL 40C
Gibson Les Paul Classic Lemonburst 2014
ENGL Fireball 60
Peavey 5150 412 Straight
CRATE Blue Voodoo BV120HB
CRATE GT412SL 4x12 Cab
Peavey Vypyr 15
Schecter C1-Elite w/Duncan Distortions
Quote by jpnyc
Chicks dig scars, pussy.

Heh.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Sep 8, 2014,
Was it pitch black in the store?

I wouldn't worry about it, that's a beautiful guitar.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I don't abuse my guitars on purpose but sh*t happens at 2:00 am when the gigs over, your tired packing up and the bar staff have dimmed 90% of the lights in the place so you and your band mates are bumping into each other. Unless you are planning on just keeping it for playing at home I wouldn't worry about it at all. I personally like to see guitars that look well played. It adds a little character and shows that they are used and not display pieces. (No phony "relic" treatment.) Your guitar looks great. I'll bet it sounds just as nice.
send it to me I'll take it off if your hands for $1000. I'm doing you a favor because it has that horrible chip!
i was expecting a chunk out of one corner, that is hardly a blemish IMO. but you will do worse overt time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I know the feeling of having a dent or chip in a guitar. But if you like playing the guitar, it won't matter in the long run. Either you connect to an instrument, or you don't. A small chip isn't going to change that.

My brother has a 7 year old MIM Strat that was his first guitar, and I borrowed that when he got a better guitar, and I played that, and I fell in love with Strats. It has a 2 cm big chip in the finish on the side, and the neck finish cracked along the skunk stripe, which led him to sand the neck down. It still plays great, sounds great, and is one of my favourite guitars. I own 15 really good guitars, and I still think that this relatively cheap and beat up thing is great.

That is connecting with an instrument.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.