Hi All
I was practicing the other night and as I was setting up, I grabbed a lead from the box and found it didnt work so grabbed the next and and it crackeled so grabbed another and another (I am sure we all go through this from time to time)
Any way I have a box full of crappy leads and 2 good ones and there would be a lot of $$$$ tied up in the crap lead box.
So I have decided to make my own but my question is which coaxial cable to use 50ohm or 75ohm and are gold pins really better than chrome pins???

If anyone has an answer I would like to hear.
You're looking at the wrong type of coax. What you are looking at is radio coax which will be a single solid inner conductor. It will carry a signal but it will tangle up badly and ultimately break. You want audio coax with a stranded inner.
At audio frequencies, characteristic impedance is pretty much moot which is why it's never quoted on the cable - unlike RF coax where it is crucial; which is why I know you are looking at RF cable in case you were wondering.
I'd scan ebay for a roll of Mogami or Beldon or something of that ilk. Matt has a handle on some good cheap cable, I'll see if I can summon him.

Edit: Matt tells me this is the place:
http://btpa.com/Guitar-Line-LevelBP/
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 8, 2014,
If your in the USA www.redco.com has Mogami and Canare wire for really cheap
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I would try recycling the old ones with new plugs. At worse, you will have to buy new cable if it doesn't work, but you will still have the plugs you bought.

A trick a sound tech mate of mine told me to increase the relaibility and life expectancy of cables is to fill the plugs with epoxy.
Heatshrink around the plug and the first couple of inches of cable helps too. If you shrink it down well it adds quite a bit of mechanical strength to it all. I wouldn't fill the plug with epoxy, myself. I hate things that can't be opened and repaired. Shrink should be enough.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification