I practice now the things im working on for 10-20 minutes a piece like scales or a lick im having trouble with or chords just whatever i feel needs work i practice it for a portion of my practice time. Is it better to do it that way or just focusing the whole practice time on one thing thing like 2 hours just practicing one lick or just whatever im practicing??
I find I need about 20-40 minutes to get really warmed up then anything I play after that really sticks and I can do it well so I usually like to play for maybe 90-120 minutes then take a break for a couple hours then come back for about the same amount of time and that really works. I've never tried doing like six 20 minute sessions before though so it could just be personal preference

EDIT
I reread your question and I see you mean one specific scale or lick and as to that it all depends on the difficulty. If you're trying something totally new like sweeping it might take an hour and a half session to put in the practice but for a normal scale or lick it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes anyway
BigBoned: Hello Hung Daddy.

Hung Daddy: Hi. I'm eight and a half inches.

BigBoned: Sorry, I'm not interested in being friends with midgets. Midgets piss me off
Last edited by thedyslexialove at Sep 9, 2014,
play it till you get it. No point in playing a entire sequence if you can't get the start right.
^ yeah it really depends. you need to be able to play the whole thing, and eventually you'd want to play/practise it from start to finish, but at the same time if a piece is, say, 5 minutes long and there's a 5 second bit you're struggling with (while you can play the rest perfectly) it doesn't make much sense to play the whole thing through, you need to get the bit you're struggling with down. and it's a lot more efficient if you just practise the bit you're struggling with.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Definitely portions.

I've learned things that were impossible for my skill level by playing them one note at a time, end to beginning, at 25 BPM.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Portions. Try to practice a little (preferably a lot) of everything. I always end up practicing scales and chords for like 4 hours XD It takes a while to play every scale/chord in thirds, sixths, arpeggios, every inversion through the whole keyboard, rootless voicings, 2 handed etc. and all that for both hands.

That's one thing where guitar wins. You can use the same pattern by just sliding it up and down the next. With piano, every chord and every inversion is its own pattern and that means hundreds of patterns to memorize.
Last edited by Elintasokas at Sep 16, 2014,