https://soundcloud.com/windsofentropy/mushrooms

As the description says... I wrote it based on a concept that my gf offhandedly suggested to me one day. At first it was just about a caterpillar struggling with dancing mushrooms, but after writing the first riff I developed some... additional potent imagery. I wonder if she was on mushrooms when she suggested the idea to me. Well, in any case... I think I'm pretty happy with the way this turned out, although I'm afraid it's a little too short. I feel like I'm finally learning to utilize orchestral instruments properly. However, there's only so much I can do with VSTs.

Well, anyways. I hope you enjoy! And it's C4C
Hello there.

This is a very nice composition. You have a lot going on without becoming overly busy at any one time. The movements are good and give a good progression that stops it becoming monotonous or boring. I cant pretend to be able to see how any of it represents the caterpillar, but visualisation was never my strong point.

Did you compose this in the traditional sense (ie write it as a score)? or did you use a keyboard to play different parts and see what fits (thats what I do because I lack music theory knowledge and that other thing..... skill I think they call it)

End result, I liked it.

If you fancy checking out my stuff it is here link I tried my hand at orchestral composition and would be interested to hear you opinion.

Cheers
Hey there,

Sounds like so many different types of video game music to me. I hear a large amount of Zelda as well as a little Pokemon at times (rarely but its somewhat reminiscent sometimes). I love how it sound around the 1 minute mark. THe complexity was extremely surprising as well as how it works so well in this song. I definetly imagine the caterpillar part of your concept, and when the piano comes in and things start to rise and get darker I think of the mushrooms. I've never tried shrooms but the beauty of this track makes them seem all the more appealing. The track moves along quickly, I didn't even realize time had passed much when it got to 3 minutes. The constant changes help forget about the flow of time which is something great music should be able to accomplish. The drums and cybals complete the fullness. Gosh the ending is simply beautiful, I love everything about this track! You KILLED it. You deserve so many more followers.

C4C please?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1655676
You chose a great picture for this track, hah. Really gives off some Chrono Trigger vibes when it starts out. It's got a really nice "Let's go Adventuring!" sound to it. It flows really nicely and keeps your attention the whole time. You just want to find out whats coming up next in the composition. I love the swell right near the end. I'm gonna have to check out some more of your stuff, dude. This is really nicely done. Not to mention I love RPG style music, so this should be some fun stuff!

Here's mine if you wouldn't mind taking a look!
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32946569#post32946569
Quote by mangablade
If star wars had a Heavy Metal band (no not "Vader" lol), then you would be it. You sound like a anrgy mother****ing Yoda.

I sound like an angry Yoda...is that a good thing...or a bad thing? lol
Thanks for the comments, everyone! I'll get to critiquing your songs within the next couple days.

Quote by RabidBadger
Did you compose this in the traditional sense (ie write it as a score)? or did you use a keyboard to play different parts and see what fits (thats what I do because I lack music theory knowledge and that other thing..... skill I think they call it)

This was entirely written in Guitar Pro 5, actually. So... neither? Kind of option 1? I guess you can sort of use the score in GP5, but I would really have no idea what I was doing. A lot of my theory knowledge comes in terms of fret numbers, rather than notes. I mean, I never really learned a whole lot of theory besides the basics... Didn't even know what a scale was when I started writing music back in 2006. All of that "intuitive" knowledge came through playing guitar and writing music.

Quote by Bleak
I'm gonna have to check out some more of your stuff, dude.

I'm flattered, but I'm gonna have to give you a disclaimer. I don't think the rest of my compositions are really as well-orchestrated as Mushrooms was, I'm honestly still kind of a noob to all of this. Writing orchestral music kind of intimidates me, especially the more ambitious stuff. Mushrooms turned out alright, but Ascension, for example, is a little messy in comparison. Well, anyways, I think the point of this paragraph is to say... I've got tons of room for improvement, in terms of pure orchestral works. But I'm still glad you're gonna listen to my other stuff