Hi. I am looking for a bass head for my home rehearsal room, not for gigging. I already have a bass cab: a 410 Kustom DE - I got it almost for free and want to keep it. It´s pretty small for a 4x10, but very nice and punchy on lows and mids. However it lacks a bit of high-end presence, despite of the piezzo horn in it.

So I´m looking for a bass head, which could compensate for those high freqeuncies, but mainly a one, that would sound modern and punchy in general. I don´t go crazy for distorted sound (though it could be a welcome bonus), my main priority is dynamic and agressive cleans. And not too much power: max. 200-300 W class D, or corresponding class A/B.... The only thing I tried so far was a 200W Kustom head, but didn´t like it - dull, no life, not much top end presence. I bought and returned it, but I can´t continue the buy/return trial/error adventure forever, so I seek your wisdom, you who are more experienced.

I prefer new stuff to pre-owned and my budget si approx. 300 euro/400 USD. My main bass is a modded Schecter Stiletto Studio 6 with active EMG X pups and active 18V electronics, pretty high output. Thank you in advance for all your advice.
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at Sep 9, 2014,
Perhaps better to replace the horn with a dynamic one, and a cross-over I don't think the piezo will ever give you what you describe, or maybe get a graphic or mutli-band compressor to go in the effects loop of a decent amp.
Quote by PSimonR
Perhaps better to replace the horn with a dynamic one, and a cross-over I don't think the piezo will ever give you what you describe, or maybe get a graphic or mutli-band compressor to go in the effects loop of a decent amp.

Thanks for your advice.

I want to keep my rig as simple as possible, without adding any extra fx to the amps loop.

Changing the horn sounds like a very interesting idea - but here I am completely lost, I have no clue what and where to search - could you pls give me a specific tip of a dynamic horn that would fit in the place of the stock piezo? My cab is an 8ohm Kustom Deep End DE410H. And where can I get a suitable crossover? I´m not a tech guy, can´t make it myself....
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at Sep 9, 2014,
Something like this maybe

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?product=IMG_Stageline_MHD-230_RD_80w_8_Ohm_Round_Horn_Tweeter&id=MON103430

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=LKDX222&browsemode=category

But you really need a technician to help you, who can chose the right horn and passive crossover to suit the impedance and power rating of you cab and can fine-tune the crossover to you 10inch speakers.
Quote by PSimonR
Something like this maybe

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?product=IMG_Stageline_MHD-230_RD_80w_8_Ohm_Round_Horn_Tweeter&id=MON103430

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=LKDX222&browsemode=category

But you really need a technician to help you, who can chose the right horn and passive crossover to suit the impedance and power rating of you cab and can fine-tune the crossover to you 10inch speakers.

Thank you for your efforts and for sending me the links. Of course I will ask "my" technician but first I would need some sources to choose from. Because the guy is not an "internet" type of guy, he is an old-school "offline" kind of solder-master. So I have to show him some pre-searched stuff and then he would for sure be able to tell right from wrong, technically.

An ideal situation would be to find someone who already has experience with changing the horn in that particular cab.... I´m already lost right at he beginning - with the shape and size of the horn, to physically fit in the baffle.... Kustom only says the stock horn is 3-inch, no further data.... And I see it´s outer shape is square, not round... but that´s it, from there I can´t move further....
Assuming they are available in your neck of the woods, take a look at the offerings from Markbass, the micro heads from GK, and the micro heads from SWR. Any one of them should suit your needs well.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I always thought Trace Elliot amps had quite a clean, modern, extended high end. You could probably pick one of theirs up fairly cheap, I'm not very knowledgeable about their products though, only played one a few times.
Quote by JKing138
I always thought Trace Elliot amps had quite a clean, modern, extended high end. You could probably pick one of theirs up fairly cheap, I'm not very knowledgeable about their products though, only played one a few times.

Yep, I heard the same thing as you about them, but the trouble is I can´t get them around here. The used product market in my country is rather small and I don´t want to buy stuff from eBay or Amazon - I have bad experience with the payment and shipment....
What head were you using before? Perhaps it's not the cab itself that's lacking highs.
What bass and strings are you using with it?
Quote by JKing138
What head were you using before? Perhaps it's not the cab itself that's lacking highs.
What bass and strings are you using with it?

No head. In fact I didn´t have a big rehearsal rig at all. I just had my bedroom rig with a SansAmp RBI preamp and a small hifi power amp - and I don´t want to touch it, I want to keep it that way, it´s a perfect bedroom rig.

I started building my rehearsal rig by buying the Kustom DE410h cab - it was an extra indidvidual special offer, so cheap, almost for free....

But that cab is not the brightest, that´s why I need a brighter head and/or a stronger and brighter horn for the cab.

My main bass: Schecter Stiletto Studio 6, mahogany body, maple/wallnut neck (neck-thru), active EMG X pickups (I got rid of the stock passive EMG HZs), active 18V electronics, 3-band EQ....

Strings? Ernie Ball Long Scale Slinky 32-130.

The whole thing sounds bright enough on the bedroom rig, but when I tried to connect the Kustom cab, just to compare with the studio monitors I have in the bedroom, it has much less top end bite. So that´s the whole story.
So your running the sansamp in to a hifi power amp into the cab?
If you got a decent bass amp head I think it would have a different sound to your current set up, regardless of the brand. As mention previously, you can pick up GK heads fairly cheaply and they have a very prominent high-mid sound baked in, which makes them quite distinctive. I know the sansamp is the opposite, because of the speaker simulation, it scoops the mids out, which could be what your hearing. The blend on the sansamp controls this but another feature of the amp sim is a reduction in the high-end, speaker sims tend to follow an arch type curve as you would get from a speaker. So from this sending a speaker sim into a speaker usually sounds rather dull. On the other hand, too many low-end frequencies, for example: cranking the bass or too much 200hz frequencies can overpower the high and mids to make it sound dull.
Quote by JKing138
So your running the sansamp in to a hifi power amp into the cab?
If you got a decent bass amp head I think it would have a different sound to your current set up, regardless of the brand. As mention previously, you can pick up GK heads fairly cheaply and they have a very prominent high-mid sound baked in, which makes them quite distinctive. I know the sansamp is the opposite, because of the speaker simulation, it scoops the mids out, which could be what your hearing. The blend on the sansamp controls this but another feature of the amp sim is a reduction in the high-end, speaker sims tend to follow an arch type curve as you would get from a speaker. So from this sending a speaker sim into a speaker usually sounds rather dull. On the other hand, too many low-end frequencies, for example: cranking the bass or too much 200hz frequencies can overpower the high and mids to make it sound dull.

Exactly: SansAmp into hifi power amp into Kustom 410 bass cab - but that cab was just an experiment. Normally I run the sound from the SansAmp to my studio monitors and that combination does not sound dull at all and it has all the top end in the world. So I hope exactly for what you decribe: if I connect the bass cab to a proper bass head, including pre and power amp stages, it should gain more "life". I already ordered a small GK head, the MB200, with the possibility to change it for some other amp in case it would not sound good. So thank you for confirming my speculations with your experience.
Last edited by Airfish at Sep 13, 2014,
No problem, hopefully that should work for you. Sounds like the problem is running speaker sims into speakers then, the monitors should be full range so can handle that.