I am wanting to record drums, guitar, bass and vocals with separate mics and lay them all down separately onto software to manipulate the levels and maybe add effects. What is the best method of doing this?

I'm assuming I will need some hardware and obviously software but I am a little unsure of the correct description of what I'm trying to achieve so I'm not sure what to look for in terms of hardware.

What is the best software for this? Are there any issues with sound cards on the computer or anything?

lodgi
If you need to record them separately, a couple tracks at a time, whatever two channels audio interface will do the job.

If, on the other hand, you will need to record everything at the same time, you will need an audio interface with a lot of inputs, such as the mackie onyx blackbird.
Or two onyx blackbird's, depending on how much stuff you wanna record at a time.

To edit multi-track audio you need a DAW.
Whatever DAW will do, so try everything and then go for the one you prefer working with.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
If you need to record them separately, a couple tracks at a time, whatever two channels audio interface will do the job.

If, on the other hand, you will need to record everything at the same time, you will need an audio interface with a lot of inputs, such as the mackie onyx blackbird.
Or two onyx blackbird's, depending on how much stuff you wanna record at a time.

To edit multi-track audio you need a DAW.
Whatever DAW will do, so try everything and then go for the one you prefer working with.

Look, I know you love that interface, and people give you crap about it around here, but I've left the topic alone. Spending $1000 for two blackbirds just to get 16 inputs is a colossal waste of money. You could buy two tascam US-1800 interfaces NEW for the price of one blackbird, or buy two of those USED for $200 total on craigslist (at least here in Nashville). Just saying.

That said, OP, his post is technically correct (although inefficient) and you do need a multi-channel interface like the blackbird or something similar like a tascam us-1800, focusrite 18i20, etc.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
You could buy two tascam US-1800 interfaces NEW for the price of one blackbird, or buy two of those USED for $200 total on craigslist (at least here in Nashville).
You could also buy a couple of potatoes since you don't care to sound good judging from you post

Well alright, that's exaggerated, US1800's don't sound that bad.

Up to you TS to decide if you think sounding better is worth the extra money.
An onyx blackbird though doesn't sound 5 times as good as a US1800.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Sep 10, 2014,
Quote by Spambot_2
You could also buy a couple of potatoes since you don't care to sound good judging from you post

Well alright, that's exaggerated, US1800's don't sound that bad.

Up to you TS to decide if you think sounding better is worth the extra money.
An onyx blackbird though doesn't sound 5 times as good as a US1800.

Obviously we don't know the budget here so it's hard to give specific recommendations.

That said, I've never used a blackbird but the tascam interface I used (old model us-800) was crystal clear and simple to operate. I can only imagine that the current model (us-1800) sounds even better, if not the same. The tascam went toe-to-toe with my Duet 2 (going AD, not DA and I can't imagine it would keep up on the DA side but I didn't try).

I don't even own a US-1800, or the us-800, so there isn't any bias coming from me. I don't feel the need to justify my selection by recommending it to every person who starts a thread here - if that was the case, I wouldn't shut up about my Duet 2, but I rarely ever mention it - especially as a recommendation. It's not priced appropriately for the budgets of folks who frequent this forum, so it doesn't make sense to bring it up.

On a semi-related note: do you have examples of things that you recorded with your blackbird? I'm curious to hear what you've done with it. I'm not asking that so I can tear apart what you do, I'm genuinely curious how it holds up in your experience, and I am open to enjoying what I hear
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
On a semi-related note: do you have examples of things that you recorded with your blackbird?
Blackbird?
I own a fast track pro

That said, I used that only one together with a 2i2 and a mackie 1202VLZ and I recorded stuff, but I only had a couple dynamic mic's, a bad sounding drum set and a bad sounding room.
I'll find and send you what I tracked then but don't get your hopes up
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Blackbird?
I own a fast track pro

That said, I used that only one together with a 2i2 and a mackie 1202VLZ and I recorded stuff, but I only had a couple dynamic mic's, a bad sounding drum set and a bad sounding room.
I'll find and send you what I tracked then but don't get your hopes up

Oh...soooo have you ever used one? Or are you comparing it to your experience with the 1202VLZ?

Again, genuinely curious, not trying to make you look like an idiot here haha
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
Oh...soooo have you ever used one?
Quote by Spambot_2
Was meant to be "I used that only once".

Yeah I did use one.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Sid McCall
Obviously we don't know the budget here so it's hard to give specific recommendations.

Im looking at this

Tascam 1800 with 5 piece drum kit mic kit

Just one question;

Why is there 8 XLR inputs but only 4 tracks outputted to USB? Do some of the XLR inputs get mixed together into one track?

lodgi
Quote by lodgi
Im looking at this

Tascam 1800 with 5 piece drum kit mic kit

Just one question;

Why is there 8 XLR inputs but only 4 tracks outputted to USB? Do some of the XLR inputs get mixed together into one track?

lodgi

Nope, all 8 go to separate tracks. Then the other inputs get their own separate tracks as well. Where did you read that only 4 go out to USB? If it's from my post, that's because I only had four mics to begin with haha
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
Nope, all 8 go to separate tracks. Then the other inputs get their own separate tracks as well. Where did you read that only 4 go out to USB? If it's from my post, that's because I only had four mics to begin with haha

Well on the description of the item out says 16 in 4 out usb interface. Am I missing something?
Quote by lodgi
Well on the description of the item out says 16 in 4 out usb interface. Am I missing something?

Ah, yes, let me explain. That's in regards to interfacing with the DAW. It sends 16 individual channels IN to the software, but can only send 4 independent signals OUT back to analog audio (so you can have 2 for left&right monitors and 2 for your left&right on your headphones mixed at two different volumes).

You will be able to mix everything separately in the DAW. There are only 8 pre-amps, though, so if you have more than 8 mics, you will need an extra strip of preamps (can be found cheaply enough) for the rest of them. Otherwise, you can run guitars and basses and keyboards through those other 8 inputs while running mics in the 8 pre-amps.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
Ah, yes, let me explain. That's in regards to interfacing with the DAW. It sends 16 individual channels IN to the software, but can only send 4 independent signals OUT back to analog audio (so you can have 2 for left&right monitors and 2 for your left&right on your headphones mixed at two different volumes).

You will be able to mix everything separately in the DAW. There are only 8 pre-amps, though, so if you have more than 8 mics, you will need an extra strip of preamps (can be found cheaply enough) for the rest of them. Otherwise, you can run guitars and basses and keyboards through those other 8 inputs while running mics in the 8 pre-amps.

Oh that's bloody perfect! More than enough inputs for me. So am I right in thinking the 4 analogue outs is so you can use the device + laptop as a type of mixer? I doubt I'll use it for that but it's a nice feature to have. Thanks for this advice by the way. It's very helpful.
Quote by lodgi
Oh that's bloody perfect! More than enough inputs for me. So am I right in thinking the 4 analogue outs is so you can use the device + laptop as a type of mixer? I doubt I'll use it for that but it's a nice feature to have. Thanks for this advice by the way. It's very helpful.

You could, yeah. I assume you mean like a PA situation? I use my recording rig for low-volume apartment practices. It won't get over the drum kit, but for acoustic/cajon stuff it's very useful. You'll need high-powered speakers, but you could conceivably run live sound from the rig with no issues.

A lot of people will use the 4 outputs (aka 2 stereo outputs) to cue up DJ mixes and stuff, so they can preview beats in the one set of outputs while the other set reaches the crowd. Other people use the second set of outs for a second set of monitors, so they can reference on two different types of speakers with the flip of a switch.

Another fun trick? Send one channel (say, guitar for example) out of one of your outputs then into a guitar pedal or other effect unit, then back into the interface in another input channel. Then you can affect things with outboard gear! I used some fuzz pedals on drums and keyboards this way once, with great results.

As flexible as all that stuff is, I use one pair as a stereo out to my monitors and the other pair for my headphones (the headphone outputs may already be lumped into one stereo jack on the interface you're looking at, I'm not sure though).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Last edited by Sid McCall at Sep 11, 2014,