Yo guys, second forum post ever for me, and like my first one, it's about amps again

Looking to get a new guitar soon, namely the Fender Classic 50s Strat MIM, so I'll need an amp to make it sound good.
My current amp choices are some dirt cheap modeling amp and the Orange Micro Crush Stereo, which was a gift.
When playing my strat copy through the Orange, I do like the sound I get from it, but I was thinking you guys might know a couple alternatives.

My Budget is 150-200€

Genre I'm looking to cover is blues, with some country-ish stuff mixed in. Clapton, Eagles, Allman Brothers, that kinda stuff.

I would really really prefer new stuff.

I would only use the amp at home, not for gigging.

I live in Erlangen, Bavaria, Germany.

Thanks in advance for helping me out here!
Maybe sell both of your existing amps off so you have more capital to work with.

You can get better stuff cheaper used, but if you don't want to I don't know a decent new amp in the 150-200€ range that would be notably better than what you have now.

Does it have to be an amp? Can you imagine plugging into a Line 6 Pod and headphones? Many pros use them in different genres. Also if you're only playing at home you won't have much use for a loud tube amp anyway.
Is there any state amp in that range that's any good?
I'm not really sold on the whole idea of tube amps to begin with.

People say they sound great, and I get that, but standby switches? Biasing? Switching out tubes? Warming them up so they sound good? ...I kinda just want to plug my guitar in and go nuts, not go through a six-month-training course so I can own and maintain a tube amp :/

//edit: I might not be entirely against the idea of a used amp, I guess. What were you thinking of?
Last edited by Silky90 at Sep 9, 2014,
fender champ. or pro jr. or blues jr. (smallest to biggest).

if you want bigger look for either a Deluxe Reverb reissue Twin Reverb reissue, but if you want the BEST, go vintage, pick up a blackface somethin or nother.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-jLbW-vWhc

check that out.

will be building one soon. (5F1)

here is another good demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trSiHdoWMlc

also 1 watt pushed from a speaker like a V30 will register around 100db, 5 watts can get loud
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Sep 9, 2014,
Quote by Silky90

I'm not really sold on the whole idea of tube amps to begin with.

People say they sound great, and I get that, (a) but standby switches? (b) Biasing? (c) Switching out tubes? (d) Warming them up so they sound good? ...I kinda just want to plug my guitar in and go nuts, not go through a six-month-training course so I can own and maintain a tube amp :/

(a) once you've used them about twice they're second nature.

(b) not all tube amps have to be biased. if you don't want to bias you can still get a tube amp.

(c) again, if you get an amp which doesn't have to be biased switching out tubes is pretty easy. And I'm totally DIY-challenged.

(d) you're talking 30 seconds to one minute.

Don't get me wrong- it's your money and totally your call. And it depends on how quietly you have to play, too- I don't agree that tube amps have to be cranked to sound good, as some people contend, but at the same time if you live in an apartment and have to play at whisper volume all the time tube might not be the best plan either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
to any of my amps i walk up and flip both switches, standby is not actually needed for turning it on.

preamp tubes are easy to swap. pull them out, pres them in they are keyed.

power amp tubes in some cases requires biasing, its not difficult, and a valuable skill to learn.

i use a lot of different amps, but most of them get played but in the last 5 years i think i have burned maybe $80 of tubes. keep in mind that i have over a dozen tube amps in my studio.

you would love the champ. watch that second video again.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
also 1 watt pushed from a speaker like a V30 will register around 100db, 5 watts can get loud
I second that, but I personally wouldn't use a v30 for a SRV tone.

Maybe a Jensen P[something]R, or a greenback.

If you want wall shaking cleans get a big amp, and if you want power tube distortion at reasonable volumes 1w is still fairly high.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Okay, sounds good, but.. I've spent about half an hour googling any combination of "Fender" "Tweed" and "Champ" but can't find anything cheaper than triple my budget.

//edit: I did find one called the Super Champ X2. Is that the one you mean?
Fender Vibroverb *drool*

I have a Twin but would gladly trade it for a Vibroverb if I could find anyone stupid enough to make the trade (I'm talking vintage not RI)
Quote by Spambot_2
I second that, but I personally wouldn't use a v30 for a SRV tone.

Maybe a Jensen P[something]R, or a greenback.

If you want wall shaking cleans get a big amp, and if you want power tube distortion at reasonable volumes 1w is still fairly high.

nor would i use a V30,

that was just the first speaker that popped in my head that i knew the sensitivity.

i love greenbacks. i don't know a hell of a lot about jensens.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Silky90
Okay, sounds good, but.. I've spent about half an hour googling any combination of "Fender" "Tweed" and "Champ" but can't find anything cheaper than triple my budget.

//edit: I did find one called the Super Champ X2. Is that the one you mean?

fender champion 600

or fame tube 5, sold by musicstore in germany, is a rebranded champion 600 for less, though the circuit is slightly different, and it doesn't have the speaker on a jack so you can't easily connect it to a bigger speaker. on the flip side, they do a "pimped" version which already has an upgraded speaker and tubes. the advantage of the champion 600 and tube 5 is that the small speaker isn't very efficient, so you can crank it fairly easily (compared to bigger amps anyway). disadvantage is it's not much use for anything other than home use (and is still a bit too loud if you have to play in a small enclosed space)

vht special 6 is a champ without negative feedback

all pretty cheap (and no standby switch either, apart from the vht)

http://www.thomann.de/gb/vht_avsp16_special_6_valve.htm
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/EUR/Fame-Tube-5-Combo-/art-GIT0013682-000
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/EUR/Fame-Tube-5-Special-Combo-/art-GIT0019062-000
(I don't see the champion 600 any more, maybe it's been discontinued)

they don't need to be biased either as they're single-ended (one power tube)

also only one preamp and one power amp tube so tube replacements are cheap.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 9, 2014,
If theres a music shop by you, maybe try out the little Engl Gigmaster 15? Its a tube amp, and even though Engl is a more "metal" oriented brand, I quite liked mine. They do come in a combo, I have the head version, but you may need to look at used ones for it to fit in your budget. As far as I know they're made in Germany too.

Other than that, I think a used POD of some sort would be great for you too.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Now we're talking. Thanks so much!
The Tube 5 special is looking really nice. Would have loved to have reverb of some sort, but at that price range that would've been a push. Just gonna get a pedal for the money I'm saving

//edit: I've been thinking about the POD-thing for a while now, since a whole bunch of people recommend them to me.
I do have something similar, a Vox AmPlug, although, yes I am aware that they aren't even remotely similar :P
I'm not too big on playing with headphones on, hearing my sound fill up the room I find much more fun. Probably is a future purchase though.
I never understood the tube/solid state issue until I played a tube amp a couple of times. Never played a solid state again. Didn't get the sound I really wanted till I played a tube amp.

I have a 1974 Fender Champ I've used for 20 years, rebuilt it long ago, the ancient capacitors had to be replaced, did some minor modification and it sounds great for practice at home. (fixed it up to use a 6L6 tower tube instead of the 6V6 it originally had. Changed one resistor and one capacitor) I use a Fender Super Reverb onstage. It's a 1973 model, I also rebuilt it for the same reason, dry capacitors, I've played it for 15 years and never replaced a tube. Except to get a hotter preamp tube in it...old one still in use as a backup.

The stand by switch is handy but not absolutely necessary, the Champ doesn't have one. Super Reverb does, I always use it and let the amp warm up for around 30 seconds before flipping it on and playing. It's not rocket science, turn on, wait a minute, flip standby on and play. I've used the Super Reverb lots of times at quiet bedroom volume, sounds great. At cranked up stage volume it sounds fantastic. Tube amps sound good at low volume, they just sound better as you turn them up. Solid State sounds worse as it gets cranked...A lot of the really nice guitar sounds you hear on recordings are tube amps at low volume. Plenty are cranked Marshalls too...

But for the sounds you listed, a tube amp is how Clapton, Duanne Allman and the guys in the Eagles got their sound. Clapton recorded the Layla album on a Fender Champ. Duanne Allman used a Fender, usually a Showman. Joe Walsh used a Champ on Funk #49 and probably a lot of the other recordings from that period. Virtually everything you listed was done on tube amps, usually mostly Fenders...David Gilmour uses Hiwatts onstage, Fenders in the studio usually. All tubes though...

I know you said you want newer stuff, but new tube amps ain't cheap. In your location used ones might not be cheap either, but check around. I'm not familiar with most of the newer stuff, but I've played the new Fender Champ (tube version) in music stores, it does pretty good. The Vox Night Train sounds great and has options for a variety of sounds, and at 15 watts it gets way loud if you want it to. The Tiny Terror also has a good reputation but I've never played or listened to it. A lot of people really like the low wattage Orange amps too. Most people seem to think the new reissue Fenders for some reason just don't match the vintage ones, I haven't played them so I can't say either way. The only thing I'm not crazy about with the practice amps is the smaller 8 inch speaker...not the same as the 10 inch in a Princeton or the 12 inch in larger amps.

The only thing to worry about with older tube amps is that the electrolytic capacitors dry out after 25 years or so, and must be replaced. Same for solid state amps. Tubes eventually wear out and can suddenly go dead, but it doesn't happen often. The used tubes in my Champ lasted almost 20 years before one finally failed..

Look around and see what's available, someone may be willing to let go a fairly new one at a reasonable price, I find good amps at pawn shops now and then, and some guitar stores sell them on consignment. But for the sound you're looking for, all those guys used tube amps. Solid state won't match it, I tried for 30 years...I own nothing but tube amps now.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Whew, thanks a lot for the opinion, guess there's really just one way to go then.
Seems like for my type of music, Fender is the only brand that'll deliver - but if I understood the post above yours, the Tube 5 by Fame is practically identical to the Fender Champ 600?
having recently spent some money on a peavy vypr as my first "proper" practice amp, i now wish i had just saved the money and got a blues junior or something.

just save up for a bit longer and see if you can get something more expensive, so that you dont have to buy twice (like i will have to)
No, Fender is not t he only one that will deliver, just the most likely. Marshall, Randall, Traynor, Mesa, Orange, Vox, and that's just the beginning...all made or make great amps. Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page used Supro amps in the studio at times, everybody you can think of in the 60's used Vox AC30's. At least the British guys, that's all they could get and afford...

Basically any tube amp will do the trick, I can plug into any tube amp made and get a good sound, period. I don't care what brand it is, even a high gain amp like a Marshall or Mesa will sound good and get a clean sound at low volume levels. But for the sound you're looking for, Fender is what they mostly used. Several others will do the same thing though. I've heard some older Traynors I'd love to get my hands on...Oh yeah I forgot, I don't know how available they are in your area, but Peavey has made some very good tube amps too.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Awesome. Thanks to all of you guys, I really appreciate your help!
Can't exactly buy you a beer, though.. guess we'll have to settle on a NGD-Thread once the next paycheck comes rolling in :P
Quote by AWACS
If theres a music shop by you, maybe try out the little Engl Gigmaster 15? Its a tube amp,

hybrid

Quote by Silky90
Now we're talking. Thanks so much!
The Tube 5 special is looking really nice. Would have loved to have reverb of some sort, but at that price range that would've been a push. Just gonna get a pedal for the money I'm saving

no worries

i got the special version with the upgraded speaker. i figured it was more or less the same price and saved bother. though i suppose looking at it another way if you buy the cheaper one and the upgrades separately, you have the stock tubes and speaker as spares for the same price

just be careful about the pedal thing- if you think you'll have to add several pedals to get the tones you want out of the tube 5, it might just make more sense to put more money into the amp (e.g. the vht special 6... though you'd still need the extra pedals you need with the tube 5 ).

also i should add that i don't much like musicstore. they might treat you better because you're in germany, though.

Quote by Silky90
Whew, thanks a lot for the opinion, guess there's really just one way to go then.
Seems like for my type of music, Fender is the only brand that'll deliver - but if I understood the post above yours, the Tube 5 by Fame is practically identical to the Fender Champ 600?

it's not so much brand as circuit design. some companies have amps which are closely based on fenders, some based on marshalls, some more original, etc. etc.

but yeah i reckon a champ should work well for the tones you want. layla era clapton was a champ. i'm guessing some of the eagles was a fender of some sort. i think the allman brothers used marshalls.

bear in mind you have to crank these more basic 5 watt amps for distortion (or use an overdrive or distortion pedal).

far as i'm aware the tube 5 is similar to the 600 (by that i mean the same circuit just tweaked slightly). it's too close to not just be a sneaky rebrand job. it certainly sounds like how i remember the champion 600 sounding.

the only differences are that it has a high/low gain input switch (the fender has two separate inputs) and a presence knob (the fender has no presence knob), and as i said above, the fender has a jack socket for the speaker, so you can plug it into an extension cabinet to get a better/bigger/louder sound (that's pretty handy, and the one thing I don't like about the fame version).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 9, 2014,
The Classic Series '50s Stratocaster® Lacquer guitar epitomized the instrument in the era of its origin, with an authentic nitrocellulose lacquer finish on its alder body. This guitar is great value and truly fantastic to play. If you are looking for a reasonably priced vintage vibe Strat, look no further. Its Fender doing what Fender do best, making great Stratocaster's.
I thought it was the heavily leveraged buying of other companies and then closing them.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just a quick update, I just ordered both the Tube 5 Special Combo and an Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Plus to give it some reverb. UPS Express guarantees delivery within the next 24 hours, so now we play the waiting game
Nice Hope you like it.

Since you ordered online you can return it if you don't (probably have to pay return postage though)

let us know what you think when you get it
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
After fuzzing around with it for an hour, here's my story with it:

Plug everything in. Crap, another socket needed for the reverb pedal. Okay, done..
I flip the switch. Volume at 1, cause I want to be gentle the first time :P
..What's this? No sound at all!

Volume 1 too low, I guess? But I thought 5 watts of tubes could.. okay nevermind. Volume 2 it is.

Silence.

Shit, how why what, this was sent using UPS Express! How can it be broken?!

Volume 3.

Then I can hear the tubes come in.
Oh my god, is this for real.
It's loud as hell.
Can't really go higher than Volume 4, but that's not a problem.
This feels like losing my innocence once more.
Sweet Jesus. Every amp I ever had tried to sound like this, but they all fell short.

Step on that Holy Grail. Blend at half, Amount at half, Hall mode.
I only ever heard such sounds from professional guitar players.
I always wondered what kind of magic they were using.

This certainly does feel like magic. This is it.

And now I'll take a shower, which I didn't do because I was waiting for the delivery guy.
This new gear is so godly I feel like I should only play it while wearing a suit.
nice glad you like it

and that's about as quiet as a 5 watter gets- the speaker in it is very low efficiency (~90dB IIRC http://www.jensentone.com/mod_series/mod_6_15 ). you can get guitar speakers at around 100dB. a 5 watter with a 100dB speaker in it is much, much louder than the tube 5. Over twice as loud, I think.

EDIT: oh yeah also with no standby switch you won't get any sound for the first ~15-20 seconds or so. Just turn it on and don't play for a few seconds, and then the sound will be there when you do play.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 11, 2014,
I'm very happy to know you like it. they are loud suckers though. I'm still waiting for the parts of my build.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
^ the tube 5's not too bad... that little jensen drops the volume a fair bit. It gets it down to where I can crank the thing pretty much as much as I want... as long as I stand outside the room the amp's in compared to a 5 watter with a more usually-loud speaker where even if i stand outside the room it's still a bit loud to crank.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ the tube 5's not too bad... that little jensen drops the volume a fair bit. It gets it down to where I can crank the thing pretty much as much as I want... as long as I stand outside the room the amp's in compared to a 5 watter with a more usually-loud speaker where even if i stand outside the room it's still a bit loud to crank.

ty
the best thing of the whole deal where you put a low sensitivity (as you mentioned) CAN actually be dimed and get the goodness, and at low levels just that fendery bliss...

LOL
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
yeah. that's actually the reason i got it. i already had a vht special 6 (which is more or less a glorified champ too) but with more normal sensitivity speakers it's still too loud. the tube 5 is still fairly loud, it's not whisper volume or anything like that, but it's a lot more crankable all the same.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?