So i'm thinking about getting my first 7 string (a Sterling JP70) but I hear that the pickups on it aren't the greatest, what 7 strings pickups would you suggest for someone who likes to play born of osiris and chelsea grin, and also more chugging stuff like suicide silence
D-Activators. :P

Your amp is very important though. What amp?

Roland Cube 20XL? ...
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Last edited by lemurflames at Sep 9, 2014,
Lots of 7 string deathcore use EMG 707s, if they'll fit in the guitar, or if you can afford it, Bareknuckle do some things
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
Quote by 'DC fan
Lots of 7 string deathcore use EMG 707s, if they'll fit in the guitar, or if you can afford it, Bareknuckle do some things

Saying just Bareknuckle is very vague and not accurate. They make many, if not more, vintage to hot vintage sounding pickups, more than "modern", "chuggy" type of stuff. Surely they are probably known on the Internet more by their Juggernaut or Blackhawk models, but I really like their vintage ones more than modern ones.

As said earlier, TS, your amp will play a much bigger role than any pickups ever will.
And the pickups in the Sterling aren't completely shite, they're more than "ok".
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

It seems one guitarist of Chelsea Grin and one guitarist of BOS likes the John Petrucci model EBMMs with the Crunch Lab/Liquifier combo. However, I will mirror the concerns of the others and ask what amp you are using. If it isn't a 6505 variant of some sort, you're kinda doing it wrong. I saw Chelsea Grin back in '09 on the Damnation promotion tour and it was a wall of 6505+s.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Most 7 string pickups will be fine. Pickups are all about flavor and nuance. Your amp is where all the heavy lifting happens.

Just some ideas to check out though:

Seymour Duncan Pegasus / Sentient
Seymour Duncan Full Shred set
DiMarzio D Activator set
Seymour Duncan Blackout AHB-1 set (Phase I)
EMG 81-7H / 60-7H (Hum Cap)
EMG 57-7H / 66-7H (Hum Cap)

Like I said, pretty much anything good will work fine. It's all just about finding what feels right for you.

Also something worth really considering: With the price of these pickups, you could probably afford to get a guitar with good pickups stock, and it might be a better guitar too to boot. I know the EMG 81-7 / 707 set or 707 / 707 set comes on some relatively cheap guitars.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Sep 9, 2014,
The amp I have now is roland cube 20xl but once I get that 7 string I'm gunna save up for a 5150 stack, not sure what cab tho
Amp should be priority...

A used Mesa 212 with Vintage 30s.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Speakers are a lot like pickups in that they are flavors and feel preferences - as long as they're quality speakers, just like pickups.

Celestion V30s are the industry standard and vastly dominate the metal genres.

Others to check out: Celestion G12T75, Celestion G12K100, Celestion G12H30, Eminence Legend EM12, Eminence Texas Heat.

There are tons of others, lots of other good stuff from Eminence for example.

I'm personally a G12H30 guy.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X