Hello! I'm an intermediate level player and i will buy a new guitar in some days. It's mostly for playing unplugged, fingerpicking style and singing along. What i found is that when the same model has an acoustic and an electroacoustic version, the first one is without a cutaway and the second with! I want a cutaway and maybe someday i will plug it so my "final" options, after searching a lot are this 3 electroacoustic guitars:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/takamine_gn20ce_na.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_f_1020sce_bk_dreadnought.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_aw65ece_lg.htm

do you know anything about this models? I've read some short customers reviews about the takamine gn20 and the ibanez aw65 and they all say something like "incredible guitar for it's price, really great quality, ...". I think the fender f 1020 is a new model or something so i did not find any review.

What i've got for sure is that when i'll go to buy them (i'm going to a local store with same prices as this web +/-) i'll try the guitars that will have passed the "exam" i'm doing right now!

And also if you know any other great model at the same price range i'd really like to know about it! Or some acoustic (not electroacoustic) with a cutaway and great price.

Thank you!!
Last edited by vivanqui at Sep 9, 2014,
OK first, that Fender draws a "404 error, page not found", here in the US. I've never seen it advertised on a US site, and any references to it are in Europe and the UK.

That said, a lot of people like Fender acoustics. I drew hell's fire a while ago, when I made a disparaging comment about the CD-100.

Anyway in the price range you're considering, a majority of the time, the electronics and cutaway are both in the single step up package. The exception which springs to mind is the Seagull, "S-6 Original", which only bumps up with electronics only. That's supposed to be a great guitar, but the electric version is pushing $600.00 USD.

I've never actually seen a solid cedar topped Ibanez or Takamine. So that makes it a little hard to comment. Ibanez draws a lot of fire for being more concerned with looks than with sound. as is evidenced with their, "Exotic Wood" series.

That said, a solid top Ibby at least deserves a listen. If seen many decent reviews of Ibanez solid top guitars.

Of the 3 brands, Takamine probably has the best reputation for acoustics. Ibanez, not so much. Even that doesn't matter a whole hell of a lot, as in this day and age, it's which OEM is building the guitars for re branding that matters. Although, Yamaha does maintain their own factory.

The cedar top should be excellent for finger style guitar. It would be perhaps a be bit less so for hard strumming.

The Takamine is a different body size, and would offer a different tonality. Some dreadnoughts are bass heavy, and a bit muddy. The jumbo (?) Takamine would offer a , "different bottom line", so to speak. The bass is a bit more refined in most jumbos, but they sometimes need a good whacking to give of their best.

In any case, I think electric-acoustic is the way to go. All you have to do is splice a chorus, and/or reverb into the line, and you get a great big, fat, sound, even in a dull environment.

Beside, any but the cheapest acoustic guitar amps, have 2 channels, one of which can be employed for vocals. And here again, reverb gives vocals a great, big, fat, full, sound.

I don't know which of Ibanez'' preamps is in the guitar you've picked but, if it's their 3 volt model, it sounds very good, and only takes 2, easy to find, AA pen cells to power it.

So, go listen, and tell us which one, "speaks to you". Then buy that one.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 9, 2014,
Nice selection, I don't have any experience with anyof those models you listed but I do own other models from Fender,Ibanez and Takamine. And all of them are winners. What you should note is the neck, all three guitars have really different necks, Takamines are chunky, Fenders are slim necks and Ibanez is somewhere in between. I have the Takamine GN51ce which is in the same line as the one you are looking at and has the same pickup system. I can tell you that it sounds great plugged in and acoustic, it has very nice bass response. And it looks like the Fender you are looking at also has the same pickup as my Fender, Fishman Isys 3, and that pickup also sounds great.
Thanks for responding!
Quote by Tony Done
None of those would be at the top of my list. I would be looking at Recording King, Tanglewood and Yamaha, but each to his own.

I know in america there are other brands, and prices are cheaper in general. Here it's impossible to get a "recording king" and really difficult to get a tanglewood. I've seen the apx500ii but i don't like it because it's done for playing plugged, unplugged it lacks a lot of things. Do you know some other model, with a cutaway? Thanks

Captaincranky thanks for your responde, i didn't even know what a solid top or cedar was, that sounds great. I really don't know how will sound the takamine, it's like a jumbo but smaller or thinner or something like that i think. I'll tell you which one "speaks to me" in a few days!

Jcarlos007 thanks, i didn't know they have different necks. That's something important. The pickup doesnt bother me too much, i think i'll play mostly unpligged, it's just in case.

Thanks for your help guys! Have a nice day
Quote by vivanqui
Thanks for responding!

I know in america there are other brands, and prices are cheaper in general. Here it's impossible to get a "recording king" and really difficult to get a tanglewood. I've seen the apx500ii but i don't like it because it's done for playing plugged, unplugged it lacks a lot of things. Do you know some other model, with a cutaway? Thanks

Captaincranky thanks for your responde, i didn't even know what a solid top or cedar was, that sounds great. I really don't know how will sound the takamine, it's like a jumbo but smaller or thinner or something like that i think. I'll tell you which one "speaks to me" in a few days!

Jcarlos007 thanks, i didn't know they have different necks. That's something important. The pickup doesnt bother me too much, i think i'll play mostly unpligged, it's just in case.

Thanks for your help guys! Have a nice day

I have a similar problem to you, I live in Australia.

I had a look on the Thomann site. They have a good selection of Yamaha and RK guitars, so that is where I would be looking. No Tanglewood though, which surprises me a bit, because i thought they were a Brit importer brand.

EDIT - I was assuming you would be buying through Thomann, but maybe you were just using them for examples.
Last edited by Tony Done at Sep 11, 2014,