Hello all, does anyone have any information on the above named guitar? Namely, is it a solid top acoustic and is it any good?

Really struggling to find any info related to it online, but there's a guy selling one locally and it might be a bargain if so at just £50.

Here's a picture, but it gives very little away.

I've not heard about it, but it looks decent. Are you able to go and play it beforehand? Because honestly, only if the construction is crap would a solid-top not be worth £50 you know?
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
"Freshman" is a Euro-brand. You'd be almost better off reading reviews at Thomann and the like.

That photo doesn't show much of worth. You need to get hold of close ups of the bridge if you can. That would show how much saddle is left, and hopefully the action height.
Quote by Captaincranky
"Freshman" is a Euro-brand. You'd be almost better off reading reviews at Thomann and the like.

That photo doesn't show much of worth. You need to get hold of close ups of the bridge if you can. That would show how much saddle is left, and hopefully the action height.

Aye, it's a Scottish company, and I happen to be Scottish. I know the lower price range stuff is made in the far east but Freshman has a good reputation at all price points and the stuff I've played from them in the past is nice.

The guy only lives a short subway journey from me so I will try and get along tomorrow as I'm too busy today.

I might even email Freshman for a bit of info as well. If I miss out on it it's not the end of the world but maybe I'll find a gem.
Everybody's lower and mid price stuff is made in the far east, no big deal there. Most of it is getting pretty damned good.

The fact that the guitar looks to be acoustic only, drops the resale value. As long as you have, or are willing to pop for a decent clip on tuner, makes that point almost moot.

As long as you can get next to it, and look over the saddle and string height correctly, it's gotta be worth 50 whatevers.

It looks like there's enough saddle showing, but you can't tell the string height. Just make sure you'll be able to get something like 2.6 to a maximum of 3mm string height, and still have saddle showing above the bridge.

The quickest way to tell is depress the E-6 over top of the 12th fret to the height you'd like it to be, an guesstimate how much needs to be sanded off the saddle to make it so.
Got this message back from Sean Kelly who is the owner/designer at Freshman.

Hi Greg,
Older model,
Still, nice sounding instrument,
Solid top Spruce with mahogany back and sides,
Rosewood fingerboard and Bridge, abs nut and saddle, unless been modified.
Sold for under £200 new
Hope this helps
Best
Sean

What is abs? Just plastic? I've had Taylors and Tanglewoods in the past with nice bone or Tusq nuts and saddles and a quick Google has just thrown up cheap shite looking hardware.
Quote by gregr1107
...[ ]....What is abs? Just plastic? I've had Taylors and Tanglewoods in the past with nice bone or Tusq nuts and saddles and a quick Google has just thrown up cheap shite looking hardware.

Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) And yes, the short answer is plastic. "Tusq", is a trade name and has very little to do with whatever the actual material may be. Graphtech calls it, "synthetic bone", what convenience or legitimacy that provides, is a bit questionable as well. Most people do agree that Tusq or bone sounds better than the more common compositions available on lower priced guitars.

However, the saddle and nut composition should be your least concern. Stick to verifying the action height, its tentative adjustability, and that any other factors in the guitar's current physical condition are satisfactory. In other words, no rattles, clunks, or buzzes. ("Buzzes", meaning anything other than some usually insignificant string/fret buzz).

Everything you've always never wanted to know about "ABS": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylonitrile_butadiene_styrene
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 11, 2014,