Hey there!

I'm searching for MY personal favorite lead guitar tone just like in this song:

This Track from YouTube (Starting after 12s)

How do I get this awesome modern high gain overdrive epic delayed lead tone???

My Gear:
Ibanez GRG250DX
PreAmp: Line 6 POD X3

and I'm not coming close to that tone with that gear...

I test a couple of AMP's at the store but they all gave me this standard high gain tone.

Can someone please help me out with this? =)

Thanks a ton!
Last edited by GuitarVengeance at Sep 10, 2014,
That's a pretty damn dry tone.
There's a delay with relatively short time, some feedback and mixed really low with the rest.

I don't really know about the names of the simulations in the pod, but you may try something like a mesa high gain simulation with a marshall cab.

Then, that' s a pretty straight forward tone and I wouldn't see the problem in recreating it, so clips of what you're obtaining now would be helpful so to get a grasp of what needs to be changed to reach that sound.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
That's probably not just an amp, sounds like most likely a high gain Marshall or Mesa, with some effects added in. My guess would be an overdrive pedal like the Ibanez Tube Screamer or Marshall Bluesbreaker. Probably nor the Bluesbreaker, I have one and it's not quite that sound. Then again I play it through a Fender Super Reverb, which is not a high gain amp.

May also have a treble booster, most likely some delay, and a compressor/sustainer involved. Guitar is most likely a humbucker style on the bridge pickup, he's using a whammy so probably not a Les Paul. Yeah I know you can put a Floyd on them but most people don't.

Point is, that's probably not just a guitar and amp, at least 3 effects are most likely being used too. Compressor, overdrive, treble boost. May be more involved, but that would be my guess, and it's just a guess...the amp could be anything from a 15 watt to a 100 watt stack, but most likely a high gain tube unit.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
There is definitely a trend towards smaller, lower-power amps these days. While some guitarists (I’m one of them) still use 100-watt heads and big 4x12 cabinets, many don’t want to deal with the size and weight. The reality is that using a powerful amp and a 4x12 closed-back cabinet doesn’t guarantee you’ll cut through the mix. For starters, 4x12 cabs are very beamy and directional. If you are right in front of them, you’ll hear them loud and clear. Move a couple of feet to either side, and the sound is not nearly as loud. They can also be hard to hear onstage because they’re generally pointed right at your legs, not your ears.
^ considering we're talking about recreating that tone with a POD, I seriously don't understand what your point is.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
That's a pretty damn dry tone.
... I wouldn't see the problem in recreating it, so clips of what you're obtaining now would be helpful so to get a grasp of what needs to be changed to reach that sound.

Is there free software to record my self (guitar) via POD via USB ?

For showing you
Melodic Guitar Rock / Metal Music Channel: YouTube

Your Music Source for unique Instrumental Rock & Metal.
Original Compositions, Video Game & Anime Arrangements
Quote by CorrosionMedia
Audacity should do. You will need some kind of interface though. Plugging straight into your PC/Mac is a bad idea.

you mean recording with my POD using the USB Interface won't work?

you're talking about a PCI audio input card?

Quote by CorrosionMedia
I'm not sure how the X3 connects
It has a USB output.

Yes TS, that will work good, use that.

As for the program, either Audacity or Reaper will work, and you may wanna download the free trial of reaper (which lasts forever) so you can record and edit multi-track projects.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
You can get there with a Pod X3. Experiment with the Mesas and the Marshall JCM 800 (Brit J-800) model too and play with the EQ and different cabs.
Quote by Jyrgen
You can get there with a Pod X3. Experiment with the Mesas and the Marshall JCM 800 (Brit J-800) model too and play with the EQ and different cabs.

the POD X3 has no Mesa Amp's or I don't find them, maybe the name is diffrent?

I think there is a Recto model. Anything like Recto or Treadplate would be it
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I think there is a Recto model. Anything like Recto or Treadplate would be it

Yes there is one mesa model called "2001 Diamond Plate"

hey guys
should I use one of the Modulation Effect Models? or one of the Stompbox Effect Models??

Quote by GuitarVengeance
the POD X3 has no Mesa Amp's or I don't find them, maybe the name is diffrent?

The Line 6 site says it has two "based on" Mesa models (Dual and Triple Rectifier). I don't know what they are called on the pedal, though.

I didn't find the solo tone that special. It sounded pretty trebley. There's some delay.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by GuitarVengeance
hey guys
should I use one of the Modulation Effect Models? or one of the Stompbox Effect Models??

A Tubescreamer model with level maxed and drive minimum, tone controls to taste. I'd just do that and some delay.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
while playing with diffrent cabs and effects on the POD a special but important type of the tone never changed so this not working I have to try it again with real equipement in the store :S

Again, an audio clip would greeeatly help.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Again, an audio clip would greeeatly help.

okay I will try it

Is it a single coil guitar on the original track? I'm pretty sure I have heard sounds like that with a stratocaster.
Quote by bigblockelectra
Is it a single coil guitar on the original track? I'm pretty sure I have heard sounds like that with a stratocaster.

I wish I know that, but I can't tell ya