So, I came into some money following graduation, and I'm looking to drop some money on some new guitar pedals.
My band are an indie band, in the vein of 2 Door Cinema Club/Foals/Everything Everything
(Here's a link to our most recent single, so you can get an idea of the vibe:- https://soundcloud.com/parisian-youth-culture/basement )
NOT supposed to be promotion AT ALL

Currently looking at delay/reverb effects, maybe others though as I want to get some cool guitar sounds (rather than just amp w/reverb>tuner>guitar, which is what I run presently)

I was looking at a Line 6 DL4, as thats seems to be the go to delay pedal
But I don't want to drop £200 on 1 pedal, I can't justify it in my head :/
Any advice on pedals, given the artists I've mentioned and style?

Budget is 250 presently
I'd like to get a bunch of pedals, rather than just 1 tbh
If you're looking at the DL4, maybe try the Line6 echo park delay instead - it'll be cheaper than the DL4 ( I picked one up last year for about £69) and has a lot of the same features as the DL4.

That'll leave some in the budget for some other stuff.
Quote by WeZ-84
If you're looking at the DL4, maybe try the Line6 echo park delay instead - it'll be cheaper than the DL4 ( I picked one up last year for about £69) and has a lot of the same features as the DL4.

That'll leave some in the budget for some other stuff.

Tbh, I'm not too sure on the features of the DL4 haha
I know its just a delay staple in general
But I'll check out the Echo Park
i dunno about the music you play, but there are some good deals on the digitech hardwire stuff at the moment- on thomann the delay is ~£80 and the reverb ~£72 (depending on exchange rate and how much your credit card charges for foreign currency transactions... mine charges 2.75% IIRC).

i haven't tried them but i got the hardwire od recently and it's really nice. from what i hear the delay and reverb are too (assuming they do the exact type of tones you want- as i said, i'm not familiar with the bands you listed and maybe you need a dl4 to nail those tones).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
TC Flashback and Alter Ego are nice delays with a lot of different types and a looper and used they are fairly cheap.
You should have a Tubescreamer to boost your signal for any type of music so deff get one. Digitech Bad Monkey is solid and cheap, Joyo Vintage overdrive is another great choice.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I personally love Boss multifx for the effects, not necessarily crazy about their Sims.
I'd suggest you get used gt-8 or gt-10 and run 4 cable method. Multifx unit will give you a great introduction to fx and later you can graduate to more expensive separate effects.
The DL4 unit is good, so it won't be a mistake if you want to pursue effects route.
Check out the Line 6 M9. You can run any 3 stomboxes at once and you have 6 per scene. My M9 totally satisfies my reverb and delay wants. The Digital Delay and Spring Reverb models are fantastic. Love Octo aswell.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
My personal opinion is that double sided MTB style PDs are a waste of money unless you MTB. Start with toe clips and then get the one-sided clipless. The Shimano 105s represent good value.
A Zoom MS-70CDR could be a good purchase.

It's a multi-fx unit in the form of a single pedal, and it's focused on chorus, delays and reverbs.
You can even use multiple effects at the same time, and store those effects chains in patches that can be cycled via the main footswitch.

Also, it's cheap enough that you could buy one and still have enough money for other pedals.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Sep 10, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
TC Flashback and Alter Ego are nice delays with a lot of different types and a looper and used they are fairly cheap.
You should have a Tubescreamer to boost your signal for any type of music so deff get one. Digitech Bad Monkey is solid and cheap, Joyo Vintage overdrive is another great choice.

Can you elaborate on that for me?
I was always under the impression a tubescreamer was just a flat out overdrive pedal :/
Quote by Highelf04
Can you elaborate on that for me?
I was always under the impression a tubescreamer was just a flat out overdrive pedal :/

If you turn up the "Level" knob and turn down the "Gain" knob, a Tubescreamer (or a TS-style overdrive pedal) can be used as a clean boost to push a tube amp harder.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
If you turn up the "Level" knob and turn down the "Gain" knob, a Tubescreamer (or a TS-style overdrive pedal) can be used as a clean boost to push a tube amp harder.

Ahh, guess I could do that with a DS-1 or something
Any sort of pedal, like a big muff or a DS-1 could do that couldn't it?

Or is that tubescreamers are specifically wired to enhance tube amps

Quote by diabolical
Yeah, really, for any type of music???
It'd boost but it will also change your tonality, usually in a desirable way but it does add color...

A friend of mine in a similar style band to mine uses a tubescreamer
May just have to get one and see how it works out, or try one for a bit
^ you can do it with any dirt pedal which goes higher than unity gain (i.e. volume goes higher than with the pedal off), but some pedals do it better than others. a tubescreamer is one of the ones which does it better than others. a happy accident (it was designed as an overdrive pedal, not as a boost), but it still does it really well, just because of the circuit design and how it affects your tone (it cuts bass which tightens things up, it boosts the mids which focusses your tone, it compresses, and it boosts).

however, an awful lot of pedals are tubescreamer-based, so you don't necessarily have to buy an ibanez-branded one. the digitech hardwire tube overdrive is currently ~£46 on amazon or thomann and it's tubescreamer-ish, but has a lot more boost on tap and is a bit more versatile. the boss sd1 is a bit further away, but does a similar thing (it's a bit edgier-sounding). the bad monkey is kind of like a not-quite-as-good hardwire tube od on the cheap.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?