Hey guys, the last few years I've been messing around with replacing parts on guitars and rewiring them. Now I think its time to step it up and refinish a guitar. so as my next project I'm gonna swirl paint a guitar i picked up from the local pawn shop.(its an Ibanez SA120 Paid 200,and it's in mint condition,only problem with it was it had 2 master volume controls.but that's fixed)

Right now I'm just doing some research. And when I do find the time to do it I'll try to post pics of how it goes..I've got a good idea hows it's done, But naturally I got a couple questions since I've never done this before, mainly on prepping and final finishing of the guitar..

1)What would be the best and easiest way of prepping the guitar, am i going to have to go right down to bare wood? or can i get away with removing just the clear-coat then applying a primer?

2)How should I remove the paint and clear coat, with a chemical stripper or sand it?
The stripper is sounding Like the easy way to go here

3)when its been swirled, i need to clear coat it right? how difficult is that gonna be?

4)Does the temp of the water really affect the swirling process? I've heard mixed answers on this

Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
1. Just sand lightly with 320 to key the surface. If you sand to the wood, you're going to have to prep the surface again... which means sealer and undercoat (not primer, since you already have a primed surface).

2. Sand. Chemical stripper is awful.

3. Yes. You need to clear coat it with something like nitro or 2K. Nitro is a little safer, but shrinks and takes ages to cure. 2K is quicker, but quite dangerous and you'd have to have decent PPE. There's going to be a lot of wet sanding too.

4. Apparently it does. Maybe it's related to solubility of borax in water, who knows?
You can scuff the finish on it and primer/paint over it.
Clear coating is pretty easy if you can paint without runs

Watch these videos and he will show how to paint with spray cans and get a pro finish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=F2VEhFBFneo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
sweet thanks for the help. so i just remove the clear and prime/paint over that. ok cool.

my dads got a air compressor and spray gun, maybe ill test that out on some scrap wood and use that to spray instead of cans.
Ibanez GRX40 - modified

Transformice
go to http://theswirling.com/tabid/59/g/topics/f/1/Borax-Method.aspx
lots of great answers there, the temp definitely matters. After you prep the guitar do a few test strips to make sure it works. You can PM me if you have any questions as you get closer to doing it. i have done a few swirls and they got pretty good. You will need to clear over it even if you use the humbold enamel which is highly recommended.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Think I'm gonna use humbbrol paints as people keep recommending it. Where do you buy it? Guess I can start disassembling it and getting the clear coat removed next week
Ibanez GRX40 - modified

Transformice
Quote by Rocketface2112
Think I'm gonna use humbbrol paints as people keep recommending it. Where do you buy it? Guess I can start disassembling it and getting the clear coat removed next week

I ended up finding the borax at the grocery store (in the detergent department), the Humbbrol paints i had to order online. that was the best way to find the right colors. There are a lot to choose from online. shipping wasn't too bad. I figured i would through the couple extra bucks for the good enamel with all the prep work i was doing.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
That guitar looks class. Neat, tight mahogany grain, classic SG style finish. Why would you swirl that?
Quote by 2PtDescartes
That guitar looks class. Neat, tight mahogany grain, classic SG style finish. Why would you swirl that?

It is a nice guitar, looks good and plays really well. But i bought this guitar as a project guitar. If i got a shitty guitar thats awkward to play id never want to play it after i spent all this time and effort making it look good (hopefully lol)

Couple more questions....
The top of this guitar is kinda rounded, so useing any powerpalm sander is out of the question right?

How much paint am in gonna need to swirl the guitar?
Ibanez GRX40 - modified

Transformice
Last edited by Rocketface2112 at Sep 11, 2014,