I was listening to some Samael the other day and wanted to try to make something similar. I don't think I really got what I intended to do, but I do really enjoy the outcome. I will be adding vocals and all that once I get the track to where I want it to be.

Darkness Everlasting - Updated

Darkness Everlasting - Original

My lead skills are terrible, by the by. I'm very stiff when it comes to that good stuff.

Let me know what you think of it, m'friends!

Edit: Changed the drums a good bit and added a tapping section to the lead near the end of the first part. Let me know what you think.
Quote by mangablade
If star wars had a Heavy Metal band (no not "Vader" lol), then you would be it. You sound like a anrgy mother****ing Yoda.

I sound like an angry Yoda...is that a good thing...or a bad thing? lol
Last edited by Bleak at Sep 18, 2014,
I like the strings a lot and the bells or whatever they are remind me of either Chucky the Murder or creepy video game music. THe guitar line is simple but yet again is extremely reminiscient of video game music. I would have preffered some chords instead of the lead part however since there is already so much harmony going on, it still sounds good tho! The organ adds to the creepy vibe, I keep expecting Ozzy to come in at points (you would do well with a singer who has a similar vocal style!). I listened to some of your other stuff and I love the guitar parts and such but the vocals are a little to harsh for my type of music. I like what I hear though, keep it up!

Upon further listening to I Will Never Die where at first I didn't enjoy the vocals, I found they fit the song EXTREMELY well at points, the vocals even grew on me a little bit.

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1655676
Thanks for the crit man,

I've got to agree with Owen556, totally get a video game vibe, sounds like fable game, but heavier. The production sounds great, you should get stuff like this onto vimeo music or an equivalent, I'm sure indie video game designers or filmmakers could use it. I can't crit much but when the music drops briefly around 2:00, I keep feeling like there should be a screaming guitar solo leading into the build up and continuing through, just an idea.
I like it, if you send me the song without the solo, I will add a different melodic solo part for you if you want. I just find it interesting and could probably do a good solo over this.

Actually, I love the intro, I think you can go somewhere with this in a lot of different directions.
Last edited by coderguy at Sep 10, 2014,
Hi there.

I really like this. Unlike the people above, I actually felt it was more reminiscent of a horror film (the intro bit at least). I kept expecting Michael Myers to jump out of my laptop screen!

The parts were nicely balanced and worked well together. I didnt think the lead sounded too bad, although it was a little too high in the mix for my liking. The organs towards the end give it a deep kind of foreboding feeling (which I like a lot). The only thing i would say is that the kick seemed to lack a little low end, although even that sort of made sense with the inclusion of the 'bass bombs' every once in a while.

I had a listen to some of your other stuff too and liked what I heard. And yeah, agro yoda is no bad thing in this case!

My Stuff link if you fancy the C4C.

Cheers,
I didn't think the solo was bad in the sense of his notes played, but I am just picturing a ripping melodic heavy metal solo going with this, almost something like a Marty Friedman or Gary Moore melodic thing.

Something maybe similar to what Friedman is doing around {3:20} on his scenes album, but darker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UPZOoAhHKQ

Maybe I am wrong, but just thinking.

I just liked the dark sound to it and think I might be able to come up with a good solo for fun.
Last edited by coderguy at Sep 10, 2014,
Quote by coderguy
I like it, if you send me the song without the solo, I will add a different melodic solo part for you if you want. I just find it interesting and could probably do a good solo over this.

Actually, I love the intro, I think you can go somewhere with this in a lot of different directions.

I will get right on that, m'friend. I would love to see what someone with actual skill could do here!

Quote by RabidBadger
I didnt think the lead sounded too bad, although it was a little too high in the mix for my liking.

Yeah, I didn't realize how loud the lead part was in my headphones. When I took it out to the car later on in the day I was pretty unhappy to find it pretty grating to the ears.

Quote by SweetenerCorp
I can't crit much but when the music drops briefly around 2:00, I keep feeling like there should be a screaming guitar solo leading into the build up and continuing through...

If I had the skill to do that, I probably would have. Unfortunately I don't have the skill level to do that, hah. Simple stiff stuff is all that I can really do.

Thanks for all the feedback and praise, m'friends!
Quote by mangablade
If star wars had a Heavy Metal band (no not "Vader" lol), then you would be it. You sound like a anrgy mother****ing Yoda.

Amazing stuff. I'd listen to it even without vocals. What did you use to write all the symphonic parts? The quality of the instrumentals is pretty solid.

I know you've already mentioned the extant of your lead guitar abilities, so let me just make a suggestion that can help you in the right path. There are ways to "fake" talented-sounding solos, and that's by simply being rhythmically creative. You seem to be playing mainly 8th and quarter notes in your leads. Try throwing in some triplets here and there, perhaps in a scale run. Nothing complicated. The notes you play fit the music, but you should add on some "ornaments" like hammer-ons/pull-offs and so on.

You clearly know how to write music. All you need is to open your mind when you write solos. Shredding not necessary.

C4C? Here's my latest song Measures Of Discipline. I write heavy, kinda proggy, instrumentals. Check out (and/or follow) my Soundcloud to see my other song. I'll be releasing two more soon.
That song is brilliant, you have an original style. The arrangement of the song and how you brought the guitar in to support to orchestral section was good.

I could listen to a song of that orchestral section developing with the guitar moving around over the top. With your leads, I wouldn't really worry, I think the approach you took actually suited your song better than a full on solo would. The notes worked well to harmonise your song and the advice I would give is to develop your vibrato on the lead and it will help.

C4C - Please check out my song at the link in my signature below and the link to my thread is here https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1655423

Look forward to hearing your views on my track
Bleak,
Nice synth intro. Some good vocals would be nice (but good as is). I assume that is a pipe organ sound, sounds really good (my favorite part)! As it stands now, I think this would make for good background music for a creepy/scary TV/film. Guitar is sometimes loud for me, but I know mixing distorted guitar with synths can be tricky. I like it! Did you ever live in Seffner, Georgia, or is that a different Bleak?
About halfway through, and it's sounding pretty good. Although, I think the kick drum is a little distracting. The tone reminds me of... Into Eternity. Granted, I've only heard a few songs by them, but it really sounds like the kick tone off of Timeless Winter, for example. And I'm not a huge fan of that But, besides that, I didn't really see any problems. It sounds like a good intro to an epic metal song. Shredding isn't always necessary if you wanna colour your leads, you could just try using more melodically interesting tones, accidentals, triplets like someone else mentioned, maybe start practicing with a whammy bar (you can do some cool shit with it).
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Sep 12, 2014,
Hey man, sorry for the delay. I appreciate the feedback.

This is pretty awesome. It reminds of something that would be playing as you're walking through a haunted house. The tone is great. Also, I hear some 808s in there. I love that stuff. I bet it sounds pretty killer through some good subwoofers.

One suggestion would be to maybe add a few more layers. Maybe some guitar harmonies or a solo in there somewhere. I just feel like it could use a little more variety. Other than that, great work!
Thanks for all the suggestions, m'friends! I went back and changed the drums a good bit and added a tapping section to the lead near the end of the first part. Let me know what you think and all that good jazz!

Quote by aaron aardvark
...Did you ever live in Seffner, Georgia, or is that a different Bleak?

Hah, I lived in Seffner, Florida, but yes, I am the same Bleak. Moved here to Colorado when I joined the Air Force and all that good stuff.
Quote by mangablade

Right on! Definitely a soundtrack for something. Good arrangement of different parts and textures. I was going to suggest breaking up the droning synth at some point. It's just kinda always there. Nothing wrong with that though, just a suggestion.

Care to check out my vids? Thanks!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1656516
Right off the bat, this song seized my interest, reminding me of a nice, old school Cradle of Filth interlude. I like that the guitars don't directly follow the keyboard when they come in, and their tone suits the song well. The drum fill at 1:21, just before the lead guitar, is cool- perhaps a few more fills after 2:19 could increase the intensity, but careful not to convolute things like I tend to

I think the tapping section suggested by others comes across well. Have you played with harmonizing the single note lead beforehand? It could sound pretty epic.

Overall, it is very cinematic and I like its simple but determined march forward. I can picture a horror movie trailer making very good use of it!
You really got that dark feel going on, I really enjoyed it.

Production wise it's really good, but I'd use the same heartbeat sample you used at around 2:10 at the intro and the outro instead of the kick. Also bring the ride up on the mix, it's too low, IMO.

Composition wise it's amazing, but you should move around on your tapping instead of using the same notes all the time, it would help the song build up a lot on that section. I really felt the song could be longer, you didn't repeat the sections and I think you should, it can make the song catchier.

Really great song man, keep up the great work!