Telephone phobia (telephonophobia, telephobia) is reluctance or fear of making or taking phone calls, literally, "fear of telephone".[1] Telephone phobia is also considered to be a type of social phobia or social anxiety problem.[1] It is often compared to glossophobia, in that both require engaging with an audience to a certain extent, followed by the fear of being criticized, judged or made a fool of.[2]

As is common with various fears and phobias, there is a wide spectrum of severity of the fear of phone conversations and the corresponding difficulties.[1] In 1993 it was reported that about 2.5 million people in Great Britain have telephone phobia.[3]

The term Telephone Apprehension refers to a lower degree of telephone phobia, where it is the anxiety derived from telephones, but less severe than that of an actual phobia.[4]

These people may have no problem communicating face to face, but have difficulty doing so over the telephone.

Anyone experience this? Unfortunately calling people I've never met before is pretty much essential to my job.

Anyone who has/had it, how do you deal with it?
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I swallowed a phone once.

ONCE.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I have to take a few calls from clients throughout the day. No big deal. You should learn to have some canned responses/phrases which will give you more time to think about things you actually need to say.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I do. But I also have social anxiety. I haven't found a way to get over it yet. For some reason getting past my social anxiety in person is much easier. I'm really good at talking to people, I just get really nervous and have panic attacks half the time before I have to do it.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by Xiaoxi
I have to take a few calls from clients throughout the day. No big deal. You should learn to have some canned responses/phrases which will give you more time to think about things you actually need to say.

"Good afternoon, this is Nelcionicus the Brave answering this telecommunication device in the name of the Romulan Empire. You have 10 seconds to comply with communication regulations or face the stopping power of The Silent Disconnect."
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by caeser1156
I do. But I also have social anxiety. I haven't found a way to get over it yet. For some reason getting past my social anxiety in person is much easier. I'm really good at talking to people, I just get really nervous and have panic attacks half the time before I have to do it.

Yea I don't have a problem talking to people in person. It's apparently common for people who are good at speaking face to face to get anxious in phone calls because there's no non-verbal cues to pick up on which creates a feeling of no control
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by caeser1156

Me exactly.

But yes I have horrible phone anxiety especially when a phone doesn't have caller Id

Sometimes I ignore phone calls then text then back a few minutes later saying I was busy because idk but phones are scary and people are too so it's like a triple threat but I'm not good at math
ayy lmao
I have no problem talking to people in person, but over the phone is awful. I hate making calls. I always feel like I can't hear them and end up saying "what?" and "sorry, didn't hear that" constantly.

Quote by jambi_mantra
Yea I don't have a problem talking to people in person. It's apparently common for people who are good at speaking face to face to get anxious in phone calls because there's no non-verbal cues to pick up on which creates a feeling of no control

yes, exactly

It's not something I won't do or something, but I dread it and if I don't have to call someone I'll just text them or talk to them in person if possible.
Last edited by WCPhils at Sep 10, 2014,
Quote by chookiecookie
Me exactly.

But yes I have horrible phone anxiety especially when a phone doesn't have caller Id

Sometimes I ignore phone calls then text then back a few minutes later saying I was busy because idk but phones are scary and people are too so it's like a triple threat but I'm not good at math

I ignore phone calls and I ignore texts :3

people probably think I'm dead or something
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel

I both crave and loathe social interaction so I'm torn because someone always wants to do something but I don't want to talk on the phone to reject them because it makes it awkward and phones and stuff are social too and I just hate everything
ayy lmao
I'm actually more comfortable talking on the phone than I am in real life. And I have extreme social anxiety.
¯\_()_/¯
Quote by Baby Joel

I'm guilty of this too. I hate phones. The only reason I even have one is because you basically have to in order to be productive in society
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by WCPhils

yes, exactly

It's not something I won't do or something, but I dread it and if I don't have to call someone I'll just text them or talk to them in person if possible.

Pretty much me in a nutshell. I'm always going into places to book appointments because I don't want to call them. It's completely irrational. Always sending emails and texts instead of calling. Only something like my job, or a deadline will force me into calling.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I actually will avoid the phone whenever possible, not that I have any phobia. I have one guy that interrupts me and goes on, I only contact him by email or text now so he can't interrupt me. I told him this too.

I had a client calling me every 1/2 hr with stupid stuff so I told him I lost my phone and he had to email me from then on.
Quote by Xiaoxi

I have this as well, though I feel your implying social anxiety or some kind of way to deal with loyalty conflict, while I personally feel this phobia has more to do with absence of non verbal communication .

I think for this reason calling a lot can help, since you learn to deal with communication with no non verbal signs.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Sep 10, 2014,
is this the new trypophobia?

I hate phone talk because I end up running out of shit to say.

Tempoe, your avatar is seriously blowing my mind
I hated the idea of talking on the phone at work, but once I got a job I eventually got used to it. I'm not brilliant at it, but I'm comfortable with it now. I just don't engage in much small talk and I get to the point quickly in phone conversations.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Yeah I'm more comfortable with face to face interaction.

I do get paranoid when my phone rings but that's because no one ever calls me, so I fear what they have to say will either be an emergency, bad news, and/or really important.
Quote by WCPhils
I have no problem talking to people in person, but over the phone is awful. I hate making calls. I always feel like I can't hear them and end up saying "what?" and "sorry, didn't hear that" constantly.

yes, exactly

Yeah that's the same for me haha. I don't like answering phone calls either if I'm not prepared, call me weird but texting someone with details of a place to meet or whatever is often much easier since there's no misinterpretation and I can reply with exactly the time/place and not have to think about it.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
It used be scary to me (and still is), but I just try to ignore my fears. Once I get going it doesn't bother me as much.

I've just started to notice how many people are awkward in certain situations and at some point I decided that it would be good to be more assertive in those situations so that I could avoid more awkwardness and hopefully make it a little easier for those other people as well.

I'm still really awkward though.