I'm currently using a Flashback X4 for my delay needs, and I really like it (I need to get the tap tempo button repaired/changed as it sometimes does strange things, but that's not the most difficult mod in the world). The only issue I have with the unit is that I only ever use 3 standard delays, and with that 2 of them are so similar that I'm the only one who would notice the difference in a live environment, so it's woefully underused vs it's quite large footprint on my Pedaltrain Jnr.

A friend offered me a DD3 & a DD6 for a pretty fair price. Using these two instead of the X4 would clear space for another unit on my board, which would be very useful.

Using these two pedals, I could set the DD3 to a shortish delay that I use for 2 tracks of a similar bpm. The DD6 would be set to a wetter, longer delay, but I'd need to change the tempo 3/4 times in a set (but not mid-song).

I know at the end of the day, the overriding factor is: how badly do I want that extra space on my board? I'm going to borrow the pedals to see how I get on, but thought it worth asking on here to see if anyone else uses these pedals and how they get on with them- specifically the DD6 using the tap tempo live?
Quote by matthewa
I know at the end of the day, the overriding factor is: how badly do I want that extra space on my board?
I respectfully disagree - the X4 might be giving you more options.

For example, if your delay's are in parallel instead of in series, you couldn't replicate the same effect with the two pedals unless you found yourself a splitter cable and a summing box.

Also if your delays are in series you would need to find yourself a splitter cable and a summing box with a mix control to still get some of the dry signal to your amp.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Also if your delays are in series you would need to find yourself a splitter cable and a summing box with a mix control to still get some of the dry signal to your amp.

Interesting... This is way over my head- how does this relate to the operation of the X4?

I'd only be using the two pedals separately, not at the same time. I currently only have a single amp setup, and use a very basic setup for the X4 (i.e. in series with other pedals straight into front of amp).
Quote by matthewa
Interesting... This is way over my head- how does this relate to the operation of the X4?
Well I myself don't know how the X4 works for sure, though it's a big delay pedal so I suspected you might have been using relatively complicated delay lines.

Basically, and I'm not even 100% sure you can do that with the X4, a serial delay line is a signal chain in which the dry signal goes into a delay-er, then the delayed signal goes into another delay-er and so on, and then the resulting signal delayed how many times you please may be mixed back with the dry signal.

On the other hand, a parallel delay line is a signal chain in which the dry signal gets fed to different delay-er's, and the delayed signal coming from each of them gets mixed, possibly also with the dry signal.
Quote by matthewa
I'd only be using the two pedals separately, not at the same time.
Then my first message is pointless

Well you may have a look at the X4 instructions manual and see if you can create some funny fx combining delays, but if you're for straight forward single delays, each one at a time, you'll have no problems with two separate pedals.

Options-wise at least, I don't really know about the sound quality of any of them
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
You could look at the Boss DD20 which has 5 presets and a heap of tonal options as well as tap tempo (you'd have to run an external controller for that if you're using the second switch on the pedal to scroll through presets)
I'm not sure how the Flashback works in regard to that though. Might just be a complete sidestep functionality wise.
[404]Signature not found
Quote by Spambot_2
Well I myself don't know how the X4 works for sure, though it's a big delay pedal so I suspected you might have been using relatively complicated delay lines.

Basically, and I'm not even 100% sure you can do that with the X4, a serial delay line is a signal chain in which the dry signal goes into a delay-er, then the delayed signal goes into another delay-er and so on, and then the resulting signal delayed how many times you please may be mixed back with the dry signal.

On the other hand, a parallel delay line is a signal chain in which the dry signal gets fed to different delay-er's, and the delayed signal coming from each of them gets mixed, possibly also with the dry signal.
Then my first message is pointless

Well you may have a look at the X4 instructions manual and see if you can create some funny fx combining delays, but if you're for straight forward single delays, each one at a time, you'll have no problems with two separate pedals.

Options-wise at least, I don't really know about the sound quality of any of them

Thanks for clarifying! Parallel delay is definitely going on my list of things to try out. I'd also love to mess about with stereo signals as well, but I don't even own one decent amp at the moment, let alone two.

Pretty sure you can't run 2 series delays with the X4- it's a, b, or c only. But it's great to know what else I can think about doing with that unit, beyond just having a lot of different delay types.
Quote by jmaguire
You could look at the Boss DD20 which has 5 presets and a heap of tonal options as well as tap tempo (you'd have to run an external controller for that if you're using the second switch on the pedal to scroll through presets)
I'm not sure how the Flashback works in regard to that though. Might just be a complete sidestep functionality wise.

The X4 allows 3 presets set to the 3 buttons, the 4th is the tap tempo. To pick up a different sound outside of the presets, you have to physically turn the dial to a different delay type.

An external controller for tap would ruin any size savings from the DD20 unfortunately! It's something I considered, though.
I posted this today in another thread, it may be relevant for you as well:

Quote by Linkerman
A Zoom MS-70CDR could be a good purchase.

It's a multi-fx unit in the form of a single pedal, and it's focused on chorus, delays and reverbs.
You can even use multiple effects at the same time, and store those effects chains in patches that can be cycled via the main footswitch.

Also, it's cheap enough that you could buy one and still have enough money for other pedals.

You can stack delays, it also has tap-tempo, and it only takes up the space of a single pedal in your pedalboard.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112