Hey all I play in a heavy stoner rock/blues rock two-piece and I wanna customise one of my guitars (Airline 3P-DLX) to get that fat "clunky" tone that old Guilds get. When I say "clunky" I think the intro guitar to "Gold on the Ceiling" by The Black Keys (I believe he used a Guild Thunderbird).

Since I'm on a budget and this is a bit of an experiment, I was looking at GFS pickups... the guitar has 3 humbucker spots, I already have a GFS mean 90 in the middle plus two GFS fat pats in neck and bridge but those are the ones I want to swap out for something more jangly and old school sounding.

I also use an Epiphone Sheraton II with Gibson 57 classics and an Airline Map with Seymour Duncan P-Rails (which sound CRAZY good in the middle position - this also gets a bit of a jangly sound which I love). I play through a Marshall plexi, Vox AC30 and also a bass amp (don't ask....)

Considering all of this... GFS Surf 90's? GFS Liverpools? Somethin else? What would go best to get that tone?
Id go with something more filtertron-esque. (i believe GFS has some called jangletrons or something?)

Lip sticks might also sound good for what you want but i haven't ever used them myself, only going by what i've read so I might be completely off.

maybe even look into single coils, you can use an adaptor to fit them into HB routs.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Lipsticks have an awesome jangle to them, but I think they're singlecoil-sized only.

The suggestion for FillerTron types, though, is dead on.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Lipsticks have an awesome jangle to them, but I think they're singlecoil-sized only.

The suggestion for FillerTron types, though, is dead on.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Pro-Tube-Lipstick-Humbucker-Pickup-Cool-Chimey-Tone-Bridge-Position_p_356.html

Also I think stewmac makes a set. I'm sure a few pup winders make em too.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I have learned something today- my day, therefore, has not been wasted. Thank you!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
This guy http://youtu.be/Se5EmNw89SU made me want to get the surf 90's but it's really hard to know what it'll sound like with distortion... there is one vid on youtube with Earl Slick testing them with massive gain, but all you can hear is the amp farting the whole time because he has the bass cranked. Literally sounds like someone playing guitar with their ass.