Hi,
First Post...
I know scales, chords, modes n stuff I can create a decent metal riff but don't know where to go after that?? how to find chords or maybe connect them. What are condences??
Quote by RhythmicPeace
Hi,
First Post...
I know scales, chords, modes n stuff I can create a decent metal riff but don't know where to go after that?? how to find chords or maybe connect them. What are condences??

If you don't know theory, which for really answering this question, it would be a good skill set to have:

Use the notes in the scales you are playing in, to create chords. Google chord construction, and read about this. Then look up chords that fit under the scales you're using. Then, use your ear, and try these chords, sort of like a puzzle piece, connecting things to each other and see if you like the sound of what you've come up with.

Cadences are sort of ways chords connect to end phrases. It gives this sense of being "complete" or even a pause between phrases. There are many kinds.

Best,

Sean
Good question and I honestly think experimenting and finding your own workflow and styles when writing a song is an important step to take. These are a few things I sometimes do when writing when I have a riff:-

1. Experiment with the riff you have and see if you can develop any different variations to place later in the song

2. As Sean0913 said, creating chords from the scales your using is a good tool. I don't particularly know theory but I like to test out adding different notes to a basic chord shape to see how it changes the sound or characterisitc of the chord and how this can then be using in the chord progression

3. when trying to think of a chord sequence or if your stuck where you could go next, try going to a chord which you wouldn't usually go to or readily associate with the previous chord.

4. Record yourself playing your riff and then go onto other ideas. You'll soon be able to see which parts fit together

5. Think of your song from the perspective of a different instrument. For example you couple imagine what style drum beat to fit under a verse and develop a rhythm on the guitar off of that beat.

Hope this helps or gives you some new ideas on how to approach writing or structuring your songs.

Thanks, M
Last edited by Morphitis at Sep 11, 2014,
Hi,
Thanks a lot for the suggestions Sean and M, that meant a lot to me.

@Sean: How do you say that a person knows theory?? N how does it exactly help one. I tried to learn the basics of theory but learning from the internet made it a bit confusing n I had a lot of questions....

@M: This is what I usually do... I create a riff in D minor scale with dropped D tuning, I select the chords that fit in that scale.... but m stuck after that cuz I dont wanna repeat the same chords. Can I change the scale?? Like while playing chords in D minor can I change to the chords in D phyrigian?

I hear some songs n wonder how do they manage to lay the chords or notes so beautifully in sequence that bring out the emotions so well??

Thanks in advance \m/
I'd try the chords with different rhythms to start.

I cant help too much on a scale front, but what I tend to do from a melody point of view is put the riff or chord sequence on repeat and try different melodies over the top and you'll find note patterns that work and try and pick notes within that chord or which harmonise with the notes on the chord. Also, try different scales and see what works and what doesn't. Have a listen to my track in my signature below because I had a similar issue with a melody in the chorus section which I figured out by looping the chorus riff.

Don't be to afraid of repeating sections, it's good to have some familiarity within a song, but try and change something the next time it comes around. For example you would want the second chorus to have more impact than the first and so on. Try a variation of the melody on the second chorus oraybe harmonise it with a higher octave or by going up a 3rd.

Thanks, M