Hello,

I am looking for different sounds, as I only have Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
as a distortion pedal.
I came across POD HD500. But I am wondering if it is worth buying,
or are there "better" multi effect pedals.
I really love to play all sorts of metal. But eventually wanna branch out to
other styles aswell.
I hope you guys have some suggestions

Thanks
Line 6 M9 or M13 will give you just the FX. The POD has a bunch of amp/cab/mic models as well, which you won't need if you're using an amp.

But if your amp has an FX loop, you can plug the POD outupt directly into your amp Return to bypass your amp's preamp and just amplify the POD. Lots of people run them this way.

If the POD is a good deal ($250 or less) then yeah, it's absolutely worth it.

The Boss GT-100 isn't necessarily "better", but there are certain things each is better at. And preference comes into it a lot as well. You may think that the Boss has better chorus effects, or the L6 has better delay effects for example, or whatever. The Boss ME-80 is sort of like the L6 M series, a stripped down thing, but I think the ME has a lot less in it than the GT, compared to the M vs POD HD.

Those are the top two though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
They're pretty damn sweet for what they are. If you're not used to using high-end all tube amps with ultra fat tones, it'll sound awesome for what you want. They have a huge amount of tone possibilities, so you're not even close to being limited to metal or anything like that.

The thing about multi-effect pedals and amp modelers, such as the Line 6 POD pedals, or the Digitech RX series pedals, or the Boss ones, is that they have a trade-off, compared to the more traditional combination of tube amps and stamp boxes. They have tons of amp tones and effects, ready to go and easy to use, but the sounds are obviously not quite up to par with the actual amps and stompboxes that they're modeling. There are pro-level multi-effect units, which have all the variety and pro-quality sound to boot, but those are things like the Ax-FX, and they are crazy expensive.

Basically, yeah, go for the HD500. It's a great piece of guitar tone hardware.
Quote by Horcruxy
Hello,

I am looking for different sounds, as I only have Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
as a distortion pedal.
I came across POD HD500. But I am wondering if it is worth buying,
or are there "better" multi effect pedals.
I really love to play all sorts of metal. But eventually wanna branch out to
other styles aswell.
I hope you guys have some suggestions

Thanks

POD HD500 will blow your Metal Zone out of the water a million times over.

It can get pretty close to sounding like a good amp. You can use it with your amp or alone with speakers, or you can use it with your computer and record stuff.

I honestly say, it's the best floor multiFX out there.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline