I've been experimenting with different string gauges and hybrid sets lately for C-Standard, and I'm about the switch my 11-49's with 12-60's. Thing is, neither had a wound 3rd, which I prefer, and bought a separate 0.018 with the 11's.

Now, the question is will it make much of a difference to leave the wound 3rd (0.018) on there with the 12-60 set? The 12's have a plain 3rd too (0.020) but I'd rather have the wound on there instead. Side by side, they look pretty much the same thickness, minus the core wire in the 0.018.

TL;DR
Can I leave the wound 0.018 3rd on my guitar in place of the plain 0.020 and it won't make much of a difference?
Chances are that the wound third will overpower the rest of the set, but you’ll have to try it and see. Next time just order a .012 set with the wound third.
Quote by jpnyc
Chances are that the wound third will overpower the rest of the set, but you’ll have to try it and see. Next time just order a .012 set with the wound third.

I was actually trying to find a D'Addario 11-56 set and buy a separate wound 3rd, but literally none of the shops here had it. The 3rd is kinda dull on the guitar in particular, so maybe leaving the 0.018 wound on there will help?
It will depend on the pole heights of the pickups. For example, vintage stagger Fender SCs have a high 3rd pole, and were designed for a wound 3rd; a plain 3rd sounds way too hot to me. On pickups with screw poles, like P90s and most humbuckers, you can adjust the pole height to suit the strings
Quote by Tony Done
It will depend on the pole heights of the pickups. For example, vintage stagger Fender SCs have a high 3rd pole, and were designed for a wound 3rd; a plain 3rd sounds way too hot to me. On pickups with screw poles, like P90s and most humbuckers, you can adjust the pole height to suit the strings

Ah, okay. I just got Jackson CVR humbuckers in this one. Strung up the 12's and left the 0.018 on there. Can't really hear much of an audible difference, but it does sound a little brighter. However, I think I will put the plain 0.020 on there for now, and if I don't like it after a few sessions, I'll head back down to the shop for wound one instead.

Thanks, guys!