With the help of a couple of Android apps, I can now identify notes rather easily on the neck. I start from either the top or from the 12th fret, and I can go reasonably quickly back and forth along the 12 note musical alphabet. Not that I'm in any kind of a hurry, but I still need a few seconds each time.

My question is, how do guitar experts (by that I loosely mean guitarists that know music theory and have been playing guitar for a decade or more) memorize the notes on the guitar?

Do they use the same technique that I use, only far quicker and more efficient?

Do they have a visual of the neck ready in their minds?

Is the neck somehow "kinesthetically" memorized in their minds?

Or is it just "intuitive", what ever that means?

I'm just a little curious, being a newb myself.
Quote by vecc
have been playing guitar for a decade or more)

there's the answer

it takes time to get to the level of the 'experts'. A lot of time.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
This question is way too individual to answer; lots of different people have it and do it lots of different ways and, in fact, may also think about it differently given the situation. Also, if they're anything like me, they might not remember how they did it in the first place anyway.

Don't worry about comparing yourself to other people, just keep at it. It still takes you a few seconds because you're still in the early stages of learning. It'll come in time.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I think when you get to know the fretboard really well, you just hit the notes you are looking for naturally, not much memory involved, just so familiar with it that your brain knows where to go, even with your eyes closed.
Good ears help.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Most experts know the neck in multiple ways. That way if they can't think of the note name they still know what interval they're playing over the current chord, or they know the exact sound of what they want to play.

Do they use the same technique that I use, only far quicker and more efficient?

Yes, with one major difference. You do need to *start* by learning the pattern of the notes as a list, and counting up and down. However, it will always take a few seconds if you only use this method. What's the 15th letter of the alphabet? I bet you have to start at the start and count up, because you *only know it as a list*.

The brain uses a different kind of memory for lists and as you can see, it can only access them quickly if you want to go from start to finish. So, as soon as you're confident with where the notes are as a list, start jumbling them up and jumping between them.

Do they have a visual of the neck ready in their minds?

Is the neck somehow "kinesthetically" memorized in their minds?

Yes, and yes! They usually can see mentally and feel their way around.

Or is it just "intuitive", what ever that means?

Yes, with experience and practice, they know what notes they're playing and how they'll sound.

So, well done, you've made a great start and asked some astute questions, hope I helped!
you can "learn" from diagrams etc...that is the first and lowest form of "learning" because you then have to get those shapes under your fingers with lots of playing.

With me its been that I started with the "box" pentatonic shape and then right away I learned the Aeolian shape based around that same position. Then I just started adding more bits and pieces as I went.

To add other positions you can look at them on diagrams etc and then figure out a few licks etc and learn ways to connect the shapes you already know wth the new ones so you can easily use those new shapes while improvising

i have been playing a long time but there are still some "dark" areas on the fretboard becase I simply dont go there when improvising. for example, in either Aminor or Eminor I can roam all over the fretboard without much thinking but even then I am MUCH more comfortable soloing on the D,G,B,E strings. If I were to drop down to do a scale starting on the low E id have to sort fo think about it and if I were playing fast id probably lose my place and just wail out some 3 note per string pattern until I got back up into a position I know.

Why do I know the D,G,B,E strings so much better??? Simply because I spend 90% of my time playing there.