Hi EG,

I'm looking at buying a new guitar (which is another topic in itself) possibly PRS CE24 or 22. I really like my SE Custom 24, but would like to go a step up.

Ideally, I'd like to go to the city (closest one is 5 hours away) and try some more expensive guitars like an EBMM JP or an Ibanez Prestige, but its quite the trip to execute, even jist to play the said guitars.

My main concern though is buying blind off of ebay or kijiji (canadian craigslist). How close does the SE compare to the CE? I can live with a $1000 blind, but anything more than that scares me. I'm looking for a similar neck profile, possibly a bit slimmer, a better quality tremolo, and better tuners. The SE is my number 1 right now, but I'd like to upgrade.

Also, to get a flatter finish like a satin, on the neck, what should I do? Use a scotch brite pad on the back of the neck?

Thanks in advance guys.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I'm not a big fan of buying blind, look what happened to me, I bought an ESP LTD EC1000 for $500 off of guitarcenter and I came on here and bragged about it, boasting about how well the hardware is on it and how awesome the pickups are then look what happened. I realized my guitar doesn't stay in tune for a jam longer than 10 minutes long. TBH tho, I probably wouldn't have picked up on it had I tried it out at the store because it sounds great until it loses tune. Don't be a dumb ass like me, everybody laugh at me I'm a stupid prick I deserve it.
Sounds a little harsh on yourself... was it used? Don't you have 30 days to return it? How come it doesn't stay in tune? Did you talk to the guys at GC?

At OP: doesn't ebay/PayPal offer protection in case something is wrong with your purchase? I bought several guitars on ebay and so far I've had no issues - touch wood. None of them cost more than $500 though...
Quote by OliveG
Sounds a little harsh on yourself... was it used? Don't you have 30 days to return it? How come it doesn't stay in tune? Did you talk to the guys at GC?

At OP: doesn't ebay/PayPal offer protection in case something is wrong with your purchase? I bought several guitars on ebay and so far I've had no issues - touch wood. None of them cost more than $500 though...

I'm so torn because it is everything I wanted in a guitar. The finish is beautiful, the action is great, love the tone, but it just doesn't stay in tune very well. Something about this guitar just tickles me. Do I fix my dream guitar up and have the guitar I've always wanted? Or do I send it back to guitarcenter with there 30 day money back guarantee?
Why don't you just take it to GC or a guitar shop to simply have it fixed?
Something is wrong if it wo t stay in tune. Either figure out what the problem is and fix it or return the guitar.
Quote by AWACS
Hi EG,

I'm looking at buying a new guitar (which is another topic in itself) possibly PRS CE24 or 22. I really like my SE Custom 24, but would like to go a step up.

Ideally, I'd like to go to the city (closest one is 5 hours away) and try some more expensive guitars like an EBMM JP or an Ibanez Prestige, but its quite the trip to execute, even jist to play the said guitars.

My main concern though is buying blind off of ebay or kijiji (canadian craigslist). How close does the SE compare to the CE? I can live with a $1000 blind, but anything more than that scares me. I'm looking for a similar neck profile, possibly a bit slimmer, a better quality tremolo, and better tuners. The SE is my number 1 right now, but I'd like to upgrade.

Also, to get a flatter finish like a satin, on the neck, what should I do? Use a scotch brite pad on the back of the neck?

Thanks in advance guys.

The CE line is so far above the SE line it isn't funny. They are proper PRS guitars that the CE22 is the same as the Custom 22 and the CE24 is the same as the custom 24 only they have a bolt thru maple neck. Everything else is the same. They stopped making the CE line because they actually cost more than the Customs to produce if you can even grasp that
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by OliveG
Why don't you just take it to GC or a guitar shop to simply have it fixed?

I'm probably going to have to, I kept telling myself today that even if it costs me $300 to have it fixed it's still cheaper than buying it brand new and it is still $2,400 cheaper than buying a Les Paul.

Quote by columbiar
Something is wrong if it wo t stay in tune. Either figure out what the problem is and fix it or return the guitar.

What is so shocking is that they are locking tuners, they really look like high quality tuners at first glance.
Quote by NewDayHappy

What is so shocking is that they are locking tuners, they really look like high quality tuners at first glance.

When will people get the massage that by far the most common cause of tuning stability issues is with the nut and not the tuners?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

When will people get the massage that by far the most common cause of tuning stability issues is with the nut and not the tuners?

Does this mean there is no hope for my guitar? The nut looks glued on, not screwed on.
Quote by NewDayHappy

Does this mean there is no hope for my guitar? The nut looks glued on, not screwed on.

I'm afraid there is no hope. Your guitar needs to be returned to Guitar Center before it burns to the ground and voiding your 30 day return policy.

File out the nut slots slightly until the strings stop binding. There are tons of sources to know how to do this just by using the searchbar on UG, so I'm not going to repeat myself.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I'm afraid there is no hope. Your guitar needs to be returned to Guitar Center before it burns to the ground and voiding your 30 day return policy.

File out the nut slots slightly until the strings stop binding. There are tons of sources to know how to do this just by using the searchbar on UG, so I'm not going to repeat myself.

Thanks so much for your help, I'm heartbroken.
Quote by NewDayHappy
Thanks so much for your help, I'm heartbroken.

He is trolling bro, I hope you are too. Thats a really minor fix, take it to a luthier and you should be sorted in less than an hour if he works on it right away.
Quote by JGM258

He is trolling bro, I hope you are too. Thats a really minor fix, take it to a luthier and you should be sorted in less than an hour if he works on it right away.

Just played it again, I'm shattered because I like the tone of this guitar, but it's not staying in tune at all and it's not like I'm playing Eric Clapton or Yngwie Malmsteen, the only thing I know how to play punk rock and grungy power chords. Imagine if you played metal, this guitar would get out of tune after the first bend you do.
Dude , there's no reason to be shattered, just get it fixed and you'll be happy and whole again! :-D I have an LTD EC401 and the only time it went out of tune was when the ceiling fan hit the head one night I wasn't as careful as usual. It barely left a mark and now it's back to never going out of tune!
Quote by NewDayHappy
Just played it again, I'm shattered because I like the tone of this guitar, but it's not staying in tune at all and it's not like I'm playing Eric Clapton or Yngwie Malmsteen, the only thing I know how to play punk rock and grungy power chords. Imagine if you played metal, this guitar would get out of tune after the first bend you do.

I'd bet my PRS that the issue is a poorly cut nut or If it has a Floyd Rose your spring tension is wrong. wanna wager
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by NewDayHappy
I'm probably going to have to, I kept telling myself today that even if it costs me $300 to have it fixed it's still cheaper than buying it brand new and it is still $2,400 cheaper than buying a Les Paul.

Walk in, tell them you want to return the guitar. When asked why, tell 'em it's because they won't stay in tune. They go to great lengths to make money, and a return will hurt their sales.

Quote by NewDayHappy

I'm not a gear expert, but my understanding is that tuners have little to do with guitars staying in pitch, and that locking tuners aren't really that much better. I can't speak for the truth of all of this, just thought it may segue into a situation wherein someone can verify or debunk this.
Quote by Robbgnarly
The CE line is so far above the SE line it isn't funny. They are proper PRS guitars that the CE22 is the same as the Custom 22 and the CE24 is the same as the custom 24 only they have a bolt thru maple neck. Everything else is the same. They stopped making the CE line because they actually cost more than the Customs to produce if you can even grasp that

Is there anything in particular that I should maybe be looking for? Any certain years? Or is it the newer the better? I know others (and you in particular ) have talked about the CE's, but I'm still a bit unsure. The actual payment isn't too big a deal, but putting $1000 out there, as I'm 21, and even though I'm sure its a great guitar, still unnerves me a bit.

Thank you for your help Rob. I really appreciate it.

Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
I love thé CE guitars.

As long as you buy one that has been looked after, you should be fine.

I know there are a few variations between the years (birds or moons) but hardware wise I think they are pretty much all the same and very high quality guitars.

To the guy with the LTD weren't you bashing Gibson because your LTD was so superior?

Get the nut fixed and it will be fine.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
I love thé CE guitars.

As long as you buy one that has been looked after, you should be fine.

I know there are a few variations between the years (birds or moons) but hardware wise I think they are pretty much all the same and very high quality guitars.

To the guy with the LTD weren't you bashing Gibson because your LTD was so superior?

Get the nut fixed and it will be fine.

Okay, thanks Tom. Great to see you around again. I was wondering where you went for a while there
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Seriously, take it to the luthier, before you do anything. There is no reason to trade a guitar you really like with such a minor problem (bad nut and or spring tension. It will surely be less than $100 to fix this, probably less than $50.
Quote by AWACS
Is there anything in particular that I should maybe be looking for? Any certain years? Or is it the newer the better? I know others (and you in particular ) have talked about the CE's, but I'm still a bit unsure. The actual payment isn't too big a deal, but putting $1000 out there, as I'm 21, and even though I'm sure its a great guitar, still unnerves me a bit.

Thank you for your help Rob. I really appreciate it.

Well mine is a 2002 CE22 maple-top that I bought new in 04 and it has pretty much been my main guitar for the last 10 yrs. There are several different versions of the CE this is from an older PRS catalog

The PRS guitars (all of them) that are pre-1996 have a smaller neck heal. The pickups have been changed on them since they were first introduced also

The CE maple-top series is based on the Custom line and the CE mahogany is based on the old Standard series. The Swamp Ash is kinda it's own thing.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 11, 2014,
Quote by JGM258
Seriously, take it to the luthier, before you do anything. There is no reason to trade a guitar you really like with such a minor problem (bad nut and or spring tension. It will surely be less than $100 to fix this, probably less than $50.

My guess is it will cost anywhere from $50 for parts and at least another $150 in labor. The neck nut is glued in there, it will take a magician to fix this. I bought the guitar for $570 after taxes and shipping, so if I get this fixed that will mean my total investment was $720. Brand new EC1000's go for $780, might as well just buy one brand new.

The thought I'm having now is, do I take another stab at it and buy used from guitarcenter again? Or do I buy it brand new from sweetwater?
Quote by NewDayHappy
My guess is it will cost anywhere from $50 for parts and at least another $150 in labor.

Material and labor will likely be under $100 total, and probably closer to $75 unless you're in a city with an extremely high cost of living.

The thought I'm having now is, do I take another stab at it and buy used from guitarcenter again? Or do I buy it brand new from sweetwater?

Both are good options, bur see above.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I don't quite get your maths... that's assuming that you can resell it for the same amount you paid for it I guess?
Quote by OliveG
I don't quite get your maths... that's assuming that you can resell it for the same amount you paid for it I guess?

Guitar Center allows you to return guitars (purchased from GC, of course) within 30 days for a full refund for any reason, new or used.
Dude, just get it looked at by a decent tech or luthier. There is most likely one within 30 minutes of you. You just haven't looked hard enough. FYI... they can recut the nut while its on the guitar.

Hold on... You paid $570 USD for a CE? Seriously, thats cheap. $900 is the going rate for used. So even if you need to dump another $200 in, you still made out.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
No he has an LTD.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by AWACS
Hi EG,

Thanks in advance guys.

Buying Blind is a terrible thing to do unless you have a lot of money to handle return shipping fees. The simple brand name and model of a guitar does not guarantee that you are getting a quality instrument - each guitar is different and its important to play it and test it before buying it - there are lemons for any brand which you need to avoid.
Quote by reverb66
Buying Blind is a terrible thing to do unless you have a lot of money to handle return shipping fees. The simple brand name and model of a guitar does not guarantee that you are getting a quality instrument - each guitar is different and its important to play it and test it before buying it - there are lemons for any brand which you need to avoid.

Buying blind is far from ideal but it's sometimes the only option to get the guitar you want.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Really appreciate all the help you guys have given me.

Would I buy blind again? Yes. So long as where you buy it from has a 30 day money back guarantee.